“Upsetting Airport Shuttle Service Experience!”

Best Western Inn At The Meadows
Ranked #38 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 18 July 2007

We did the Park 'n Fly package here, as we have done numerous times in the past. The hotel has gone way downhill and stunk of cigarette smoke in the lobby.
We will never stay here again due to our experience with the shuttle driver. We had been on a red-eye flight from Hawaii. We arrived in the morning at PDX and immediately called for the pickup. When we called for the pickup from the airport they said he'd be 15 minutes. We waited for OVER AN HOUR in the freezing (literally) cold with two small children and a newborn baby.
When the driver finally came, he made it all the way to the Embassy Suites when he got a call for another passenger pickup. What does he do? He informs us he is going to TURN AROUND AND GO BACK TO THE AIRPORT! He goes back and we sat in the van for almost THIRTY MINUTES waiting for this passenger who never came! We have a screaming newborn, tired and starving kids who didn't sleep all night and instead of leaving, he drives out of the parking lot and then circles around and heads back into arrivals! We wait for the guy another 10 minutes and then he starts all over again. He circled around SEVEN TIMES before he finally called it off. My husband asked politely to please bring us back to the hotel so we could get on the freeway as we had a screaming (obviously) baby and miserable kids and a three hour drive home. The man got upset and said "No! I do not want to have to come back here for this guy!" Well, isn't that his JOB?!
Yes, it's been 6 months since this happened, but typing this is making me relive that miserable travel experience and it's still upsetting and to be honest, it was a little bit scary. We did not get to the hotel to pick up our car until almost two hours after our plane landed due to this hotel's incompetency and horrible shuttle driver.
I will stay at the Embassy Suites from now on...I'd rather pay the extra $150 to avoid this ever happening again!

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled with family
3  Thank toulousaine
BWMeadows, Public Relations at Best Western Inn At The Meadows, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2010

Dear toulousaine,

First of all I want to apologize for responding so late since your stay with us at our hotel. I am glad to say we do have new management and now we are trying our hardest to reply to our previous guests requests and concerns. Your input is very important to us and we appreciate you taking the time to write a review on our hotel.

I am very sorry about what happened to you and your family while waiting for our shuttle and I assure you we have changed our system so we can better accomodate our guests. We do have new staff as well who are very service orientated so that you will not have to endure the same experience again.

We would love for you to come back and give our hotel another try since we have changed our shuttle, policies, and decor of the hotel. If you have any other comments or suggestions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Best Wishes,
(p) 503.286-9600 (f) 503.286-8020

Write a ReviewReviews (2,112)

Reviewed 18 May 2007

We have stayed here 3 times since Janaury of 2007. Nice beds, very quiet location and easy to get to. Free breakfast every morning and very big rooms. We also liked the outdoor whirlpool, it is a small pool size open even in January. The staff was nice and helpful with directions using MAX and with things to do downtown ! two thumbs up..

• Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank ontheroad57

Dear ontheroad57,

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write such a great review of our hotel. I apologize for such a late response, but we do have new management here. We are so glad that we were able to accomodate your needs and you enjoyed your time spent with us. We have upgraded many things since your last stay with us. This includes new bedding, new bed frames, brand new tile in the lobby/ elevator, and new air conditioning/heat in the rooms. We also have added more variety to our breakfast so that we can please all of our guests.

We hope to earn your loyalty each time you are in the Portland area. If you have any other comments or suggestions please do not hesitate to let us know.

Again, thank you for taking your time.

Reviewed 27 February 2007

We just came back from a 3 day weekend in Portland and we had no idea where to stay. We chose this hotel because had complimentary breakfast and a good price. Room was bigger than other hotels in the same category, with a very confortable king bed. breakfast was also above average. friendly and helpfull staff,and well located (meaning just off of the freeway I-5). It is a basic hotel with not much around it, since it's in a industrial area. But if you're looking for a place to sleep, have your breakfast and leave, this is a good one.

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank slvah2007

Dear slvah2007,

I want to start off by thanking you for taking the time to write a reflection of the experience you had during your stay at our hotel. We do have new management here who is taking the time to re evaluate stays in the past to better our hotel and services.

We have renovated our hotel tremendously sine you were here last. We have all new bedding for our beds and also new air conditioning/heater systems in the rooms. I noticed you did say you disliked not having a refrigerator and microwave in the room, but I am happy to say that all of our rooms have those amenities now. We also have upgraded our breakfast to a hot buffet breakfast with much more selections.

We hope to see you again in the future and to earn your loyalty during your trips to Portland. Please feel free to contact us with any additional comments.

Reviewed 12 December 2006

I am not picky but do not stay here. It smells and i agree with the previous post. The girl at the front desk was Rude. I would have drove a few more miles up the freeway and stayed at the Comfort inn or Holiday inn or something,

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled on business
1  Thank comingforthesun

Dear comingforthesun,

I would like to apologize for the inconveniences you had while staying at our hotel. I am also truly sorry for such a delay in responding to your review but we do have new management now.

I am so sorry for the experiences you recieved with the staff here but I assure you we have brand new staff who is very customer service driven. We have upgraded our rooms and remodeled our lobby so there is a new fresh smell to everything.

We hope that you will try our hotel again, and I promise you will not be let down anymore. If you have any other comments or suggestions please feel free to let me know.

Reviewed 27 November 2006

Do not stay here.

The woman at the front desk was the most unfriendly front desk attendant I have ever come across. You would think the hotel would put someone there that actually knew something about customer service and greeting guests. She acted as if I was interrupting whatever else she was doing besides her job of checking people in. Said literally 6 words total to me, let's count them: "last name?" "credit card?" "sign here!!" I was afraid I might sign on the wrong line or look at her wrong and she'd pull a soup nazi on me and yell "NO ROOM FOR YOU!"

Gave us a room next to the maid's closet, which of course was noisy and we could tell it wouldn't get better. Switched us to a different room on the west end of the hotel which was even worse, as the burger king drive through was right outside the window and you can clearly hear every person's order. I think I have the menu memorized.

The noise at night was unbearable. A nice little orchestra of Incredibly loud train/plane/tank? noise that would occur intermittently and last for a few minutes, followed by the slamming of the stairwell door, mixed in with a little neighbors tv and their intimate sounds. Yes, thin walls.

The place is old, has a cigarette stench, unfriendly staff, noisy rooms, and you don't even get shampoo or soap?! It comes out of a dispenser like in your highschool locker room.

If you want a hotel that does it right, you can get a comparable rate at the far superior Holiday Inn Express at Jantzen Beach, one exit away.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 2ez4me
BWMeadows, Public Relations at Best Western Inn At The Meadows, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2010

Dear 2ez4me,

I want to start off by apologizing for such a delay in responding to your review. We have new management and staff here who are taking your suggestions and comments to heart, so that we can improve our hotel.

I am so sorry about the mishaps you encountered here a few years back, and I assure you we have upgraded our hotel tremendously. Our new staff is definately service orientated and you will not have any more bad experiences with our employees.

As to the noise, we definately have rooms that are in a "quiet zone" in which is free from commotion so that you may get a full nights sleep. We also have upgraded our soap and do offer complimentary body wash available to you in a small tube.

I hope you change your mind and return to our hotel again, as we are new and improved. If you have any additional comments or suggestions please feel free to let us know.

Reviewed 21 March 2006

I found the Best Western at the Meadows to have both significant plusses and minuses. I would stay here again for a night or two, but for longer-term would look for another motel.

The minuses – Immediately upon entering my room, I noticed a heavy stale odor. Changing rooms was not an option as the motel was 100% sold out. There were cigarette burns in the carpet near the bed, so it’s possible that this had been a smoking room that was converted to non-smoking, or that someone had smoked in here illegally. This appears to be an older hotel, so mold could be a factor. Also, my window would not open, so the stale air could be from lack of air circulation, even though one of the options on the ventilation system claims to be outside air. The ventilation system has a very loud fan, louder than most hotel rooms. The plus of this is that it drowns out the loud refrigerator. Also, I wasn’t thrilled with the mattress. It was neither firm nor soft. It wasn’t too soft, but not as comfortable as a firmer mattress.

The plusses (and a minus or two): My room was more spacious than a typical hotel room, complete with refrigerator and a sink in the kitchen area. It was quite clean, other than a few hairs on the underside of the bedspread. The room seemed to have better soundproofing than newer motels, or perhaps I was blessed this trip with quiet neighbors drowned out by all the fans blowing. The room contained a dead bolt and security lock, so it felt safe inside. In addition, my room was pleasantly decorated with green carpet and curtains, cream color walls, and just one picture—not overdone like so many motel rooms. There’s a large spacious parking lot with plenty of parking, even when the motel is booked to capacity. If you have a dog, it’s a plus that they allow dogs, although I didn’t notice any areas near the parking lot that would be good for walking one. Speaking of the parking lot, there was a panhandler pestering me for money at about 8 a.m. the first morning I was there. If you bring a laptop, there’s free internet access, but if you don’t you’re limited to one extremely slow computer in the lobby that usually has somebody working on it. The bathroom was adequately spacious, with decent water pressure in the shower. There was a soap and shampoo dispenser in the tub, which is more ecologically friendly than providing the small bottles of shampoo and tiny bars of bath soap.

The staff (plusses and minuses): They are very friendly and helpful, but not terribly efficient. They cheerfully provided an extra blanket for a family who asked for one. But when it came time to check out, there was a long line of people waiting to check out. Most modern motels have an express checkout option, where your bill is waiting for you under the door and you can call down to the desk in the morning to check out without waiting in line. This Best Western will let you call down to the desk to check out (although it’s not written anywhere), but if you do so, you’re checking out without seeing your bill first. They seriously need to streamline their checkout process.

I would consider staying here again, but only if I could check out my room first and move to another room if I found the same stale odor.

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled on business
7  Thank groovyvegan
BWMeadows, Guest Services at Best Western Inn At The Meadows, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2010

Hello Groovyvegan,

On behalf of Best Western Inn at the Meadows and its entire staff, we would like to thank you for your stay. It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and we look forward to seeing you again. I would also like to thank you for taking the time and effort to provide feedback for our hotel. Your recommendations inspire us to better ourselves. I am happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us; however I saw that you were not pleased with the room odor, loud fan and uncomfortable mattress. I do apologize for the inconvenience. We try our best to make sure all of our rooms are as clean and fresh as possible. We have since updated our mattresses, bedding and ventilation. And we are always updating and improving the interior look of our hotel. Also, we have since changed our check-out method to an express check-out. You no longer need to wait in long lines and all bills are slid under your door the night before you check-out. Again, feel free to let us know what we can do to make our changes better. If there is anything we can do for you to make your next visit more pleasurable please do not hesitate to let us know.

Thanks Again,
Lisa Kreeft

Reviewed 16 September 2005

Other than the high carb all sugar breakfast I have no complaints. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful except for one night when the wireless internet was down and when I called the person who answered the phone was a bit abrupt.

The wireless web is very low in the rooms but strong in the lobby. It was only down the one night of our 5 night stay. The free shuttle will take you anywhere within 5 miles of the hotel and to the airport.

The hotel is very close to the MAX line into town and $3.75 for an all day pass on the MAX and busses is a pretty good deal. While I did have access to a rental car I preferred to take the rail and explore downtown and the various neighborhoods of Portland. The rail also goes to Washington Park and the Zoo.

Although there isn't anything very interesting around the hotel, it is only one exit on I5 from Jantzen Beach and some very good restaurants and a decent shopping center.

• Stayed: September 2005, travelled on business
7  Thank 1happywife

Dear 1happywife,

I would like to thank you for contributing a wonderful review of our hotel. I am sorry for responding so late, but we do have new management now who is taking all of our previous guests input, to improve our hotel.

We have upgraded our breakfast and it has a lot more variety now, to better satisfy our guests. Our internet has been improved as well so you will be able to get signal in your room.

I am so glad you took the opportunity to experience the light rail train as it is a wonderful adventure.

We look forward to your visit, next time you are here in Portland. If you have any further comments or suggestions please feel free to let us know.

Many Thanks,