“Avoid” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #127 of 138 Hotels in Portland
Fairbanks, Alaska
“Avoid”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013 via mobile

I was on a one night stay and trying to save a few dollars - I went too far! The first room they gave me - the bed had been slept in - the second room appeared to have been cleaned - VERY OLD, musty - holes in the walls and cracks around the doors! The door did finally bolt shut but looked like it had been kicked in and repaired.

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
MkmGM M, Manager at Studio 6 Portland OR, responded to this review, 26 November 2013
Dear guest:
Thank you for your review. Sorry we did not fill your needs. We apologize for any inconveniences during your stay. We always take in considerations from our guest reviews and do our best to improve our services. We hope you give us another chance and stay with us in the near future. Once again sorry for any inconveniences that you encountered with us.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Bellevue
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2013

It is an old hotel and the hotel room had a musty smell. The poor rating is mainly for the location. It is really shady and we felt extremely uncomfortable even though we only stayed for one night. I checked the negative reviews but thought it might be an exaggeration but have to agree with the other reviewers after my stay. It is better to spend another 20$ and stay in a hotel that is not in this locality if you can.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MkmGM M, Manager at Studio 6 Portland OR, responded to this review, 22 November 2013
Dear Malini:
We appreciate your review and value our customer concerns. At Americas Best Value we assure your safety. We have cameras, someone on duty 24/7. We also try to be as professional and comforting as possible. thank you for staying with us and hope to serve your lodging needs in the future.
Conisbrough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 August 2013

My mother and I booked this hotel so we would be close to Portland airport for a flight I had booked early one morning.

The hotel was easy enough to find and had ample under ground parking, all the hotel asked for was a registration plate so the car wouldn't be clamped, fair enough we thought.

On booking in we were told to give a $50 deposit, which I thought was a lot considering the amount we paid for the queen sized room wasn't that much more per night. We also gave instruction for an early morning wake up call, were told the pool was still open and that the shuttle service ran every half an hour to the airport, except between 7-830 am as this was when the driver took his break.

When we walked up to the room it quickly became apparent why the room was so cheep, the hotel was in desperate need of a facelift. We walked into our room and the stench of smoke hit us, which for a non smoking hotel seemed strange. It was a vile smell, even from the perspective of a smoker.

The first room had a stained sofa, a TV, a table and chair and a small kitchen area. There was something which looked like old food smeared on one part of the wall and again the room looked very outdated. We went to put some food and water in the fridge only to find it was warm, the fridge was switched on and making noises but was useless. There was also an oven, but no cutlery, cooking equipment or even plates, when we requested some we were given some paper towels and plastic cutlery.

The hotel was described as having air conditioning, however this was a small radiator style box under a window, which only gave out cool air within the kitchen/living area and there was nothing of the sort in the bedroom, where I believe you were in most need of it, especially when it was so hot and stuffy.

The bedroom was clean enough, plenty of sheets, plenty of hanging space and a safe I didn't bother to look at. There was also a TV in the room, as there also was in the living room, but only one remote control. The main complaint about the bedrooms was the fact there was a tiny window, but it wouldn't open, again meaning the room was so hot.

The bathroom was also very small, so small in fact that the sink was outside the room, There was a bath, a shower and a toilet; the toilet was falling apart and difficult to flush. There was a face cloth provided, but only one bath towel, which to say this was a double room was again frustrating. When we questioned the cleaner about this she looked at us blankly and it soon became clear she didn't understand any English.

My mother and I tried to go to the pool area, but it was locked even though it was within the opening times.

We asked if there were restaurants near by, but the nearest was driving distance. There was however a small shop opposite the hotel, which served some food and also sold alcohol, bottles of coke, frozen food and snacks.

On return back to our room from the shop I found plastic film had been placed over our window from the outside, I tried to push this away and was then greeted by a man on a ladder outside the room waving in. We went to the reception to complain and were told the outside was being painted, something we were not told previously.

The next morning I was awoken by my phone alarm and not the wake up call I had requested. I went to the front desk 10 minutes before the shuttle was to arrive and was told 'he' would be with me soon, however there was no 'he' and shortly after the receptionist said she would drive me to the airport. This only took a matter of moments so the best thing about this hotel is definitely the distance to the airport, other then that I suggest they knock it all down and start again....

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
MkmGM M, Manager at Studio 6 Portland OR, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Dear Lisawortley:

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience staying with us here at trip advisor. Please accept my sincere apology for any incontinences you encountered when you stayed with us. I just want you to know that all of our rooms are two room suites and they all have the A/C unit in the living room. Also all of our room windows open/close however I will double check the room you stayed in and make sure it works properly. I am disappointed to hear that your room was not cleaned very well and it had a smoking smell. I had a meting with housekeeping this morning and brought this matter to their attention. About the smoking smell in the room let me say that we try our best to prevent guests from smoking in the rooms by telling them we charge $150 smoking fee if they smoke; however guests still smoke in the rooms. Once again thank you for taking the time to share your experience stay and hope the next time you are in this area you will consider stay with us again.
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

First the fact that this hotel is in violation of so many ADA laws as to warrant shutting it down! We drove up and they have five parking places in front; none were marked for disabled...not that it mattered they had a cherry picker doing remodeling blocking three of them, and a manager's car and their shuttle blocking the other two. Only way into hotel is by climbing a 9 step staircase; no ramp. The wrought iron railings are broken and rickety at best. Once checked in I had the choice of either staggering up the 9 steps in front or 18 in the inner staircase from the basement parking garage that was very narrow and the railings just as shaky.

No AC in the bedroom, so we were forced to have the living area fan on full cool the entire time. Got 2 towels so thin you could see through the one and the other had a whole the size of my head. Asked for another pillow and was told there weren't any available. Didn't get any fresh towels the next day, or more coffee. In short you couldn't pay me to go back.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Ann Arbor, Michigan
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2013

Do NOT stay here! I thought "oh how cheap and it's only for one day, how bad could it be?" It was bad! The entire hotel only had one person on staff when we arrived to check in. And she was out driving the airport shuttle to pick up another guest. So we waited 20 minutes before she got back. She was very nice but really why is this entire hotel only staff with ONE person? We would have left and given our business to another hotel if we didn't already pre pay for the room.

The room was a two room suite, except the room where the bed is has no AC unit. So we had the AC unit in the living room turned up high and had the bedroom door open to get air through the night. Also the bathroom did not look clean. On the floor there were hair not swept up from a previous guest! GROSS!

This hotel offers a breakfast. It consists of 2 cereals, a loaf of bread and some frozen waffles. Why even bother?

Spend the extra $30 and stay somewhere else!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
MLunaABVI, Manager at Studio 6 Portland OR, responded to this review, 12 June 2013
Dear SiRui H:

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on trip advisor. I am sorry for the delay experience you encountered at check in. We provide 24 hrs. shuttle to/from the airport and require a 24 hrs. notice, however some guest forget to schedule it ahead of time, therefore there are sometimes a 20min delay within check in when front desk agent have to deal with the shuttle. Please when you encounter problems with the rooms call the front desk agent and have them help you to find another room since we are here to make your stay a satisfying one. Once again thank you for your helpful review. We look forward to seeing you in the near future.
florence,ma
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

I couldn't figure this place out. When my cab driver dropped me off, he commented that he thought this place was not good for me. Strange. There is a bus stop right outside the hotel. My check in was quick and my room was okay. The carpets and sofa had seen better days, but the bathroom and kitchen had new appliances. My room didn't have a moldy smell, as some others have mentioned. The TV worked, but was very old and the reception was fuzzy. The breakfast buffet was just coffee and cereal or toast/waffles. The housekeeping came at strange hours, either very early or late afternoon. There seemed to be a lot of long term guests with children staying here, which is noisy, but fine. However, when I checked out, there was a guest screaming that another guest was in trouble. The staff acted quickly, and an ambulance and police responded to the incident. I'm not sure what happened to that troubled guest, but the other guests who were around to witness this incident were very disturbed. I don't know what to think of this place. It seems to be in the process of being totally redone, but still has a low budget motel feel to it. It was really cheap so I guess you get what you pay for. I moved up the road to the HoJos after that.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
MLunaABVI, Manager at Studio 6 Portland OR, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Dear Sarah b:

I would like to thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write a review on trip advisor. Your willingness to share your recent experience is genuinely appreciated. We accommodate many guests each evening, and we know our success is measured by how our guests evaluate our services and facilities, guests such as yourself are import to us. In regards of our continental breakfast I want you to know that we are thinking on adding some fruits to our breakfast. About the screaming guest situation you encountered at your check out day please accept my sincere apology.
Once again thank you for your review and we look forward to serving you again in the near future.
Vancouver, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

Never again!!!!! I booked this hotel through Hotels.com. I did not get the rooms I reserved as the lady at the counter said that those rooms were not available, what?!?!?!? How could they not be available when I RESERVED the rooms???? Anyway, the lady was neither apologetic or sympathetic, I just received the "it's not my problem" attitude, do you want the rooms or not?

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
MLunaABVI, Manager at Studio 6 Portland OR, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear IrishRose73,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Every review is valuable which helps us to improve our services to our guests. On behalf of my staff please accept my apologies for any inconveniences you encountered within your stay at the Americas Best Value. Please be assure the issues you encountered has been addressed and I will assure it will not happen again. Once again thank you for your review and I hope you will consider to stay with us again.