All reviews bunk room rooftop deck shared bathroom homeless people lobby cafe avocado toast privacy curtains wool blankets lan su private bath the pearl voodoo donuts chinese garden cozy fireplace historic building boutique hotel two blocks
Reviewed 25 June 2018 via mobile

Finished up a work assignment and was awaiting travel back home when I needed a place to crash for the night. I was at the Portland Greyhound station and found the Society in nearby walking distance. The outside of hotel is decent but once you enter it is ultra modern chic! The beautiful ambiance and bustling fireplace greets guest from the chilly night! Check-in and check-out were both as effortlessly as walking in and walking out of the hotel! The establishment was very neat, clean and provided one of the most restful nights I’ve experienced in my business travels. Although no room t.v. , I did have access to WiFi Services. The bed was huge, clean and comfortable! The shared bathroom was immaculately clean!! The $129 nightly room rate was well worth it! The hotel cafe serves the best drinks! I also had a grill cheese sandwich that tasted like it should be on the menu in a 5Star restaurant! Last but not least, the entire staff was friendly, professional, knowledgeable and all appeared very happy to be working at this hotel. I will definitely be back and will recommend the Society to all my friends traveling through Portland Oregon! Awesome hotel!

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 June 2018

Bright and modern hotel & hostel in a historic building. We had a private double ensuite, though if we come back next time I'd have no worries with the shared bathrooms which are large and well appointed. There was a queen size bed which took up most of the room - not much room to walk round it or store cases (ours didn't fit under the bed), and a bathroom with eco-shower (water pressure not that high). The sink was in the bedroom. It's basic and functional, with no extras (i.e. hang your clothes up on the pegs as there's no wardrobe or closet), but fine for a short stay when you're out exploring most of the day. Everything was very clean and bright. The room is provided with earplugs but we didn't use them. Our room faced the back of the hotel (no view from the bottom of the windows as they were frosted glass), and there was no noise apart from the occasional train going by. The only negative about the room was that you couldn't control the temperature, and it was a little chilly at night.

We had breakfast in the light and cool cafe in the lobby. This was great value - 3 or 4 dollars for a bowl of granola with yoghurt; good value coffee; avocado toast for about 6 dollars. So do eat here. You can also take your breakfast on the roof terrace, which is lovely and when the sun is out, very warm. The cafe does get used a lot by office workers and people working on their laptops, so sometimes you have to wait a while to get a seat.

Reception were super friendly and helpful, giving us the best transit options for getting to a gig venue we were going to. Portland public transport is fantastic - $5 day ticket for all the different types of transport which are all integrated and go everywhere. So simple and easy to get anywhere.

The hotel is in the old town a few blocks from Powell's and from Union train station. Yes it's a somewhat poor area and the streets have sadly so many homeless people, but they really don't bother with anyone but themselves. We never got asked for money, or even looked at, ever, the week we were there. So though it's sad that there's such a problem with homelessness in the city, it didn't feel threatening at all. The hotel is also directly opposite a well regarded drag club, and the performers sometimes stood around chatting outside, which was interesting. So if you want to stay somewhere sterile and corporate, don't stay here; if you want to stay in a historic building in a characterful area, stay here.

• Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CTwydale
Reviewed 10 June 2018 via mobile

I first stayed in the bunk room while traveling with friends. The bunk was incredibly clean, spacious, and comfy! There is nothing like waking to the smell of freshly ground coffee and their delicious breakfast each morning. I returned for a couples trip and was welcomed again by an incredibly knowledgeable and accommodating front desk and cafe staff. The Society Hotel makes every stay special. The only downside (out of their control) is that it is located in one of the less populous areas of Portland and consequently there are a lot of people roaming the streets and camping around the hotel.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2018

The Society is a wonderful hotel, with different price ranges and options for all travelers. It is located in a renovated building. We stayed in an en suite room. The bed was large and quite comfortable. The room was very clean. The historical value of this hotel was definitely preserved through a minimalist design. I found the staff to be quite friendly and accommodating. The rooftop was a wonderful place to relax with coffee or drinks. Close to parking, public transport, and a multitude of fantastic restaurants within a half mile. I would highly recommend this hotel to everyone who plans a trip to Portland. You cannot go wrong here.

• Stayed: June 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank jenniebaxley
Reviewed 7 June 2018

I enjoyed my stay at the Society Hotel and I'm glad I picked it. It is perfectly situated for getting around Portland, both on foot and on transit, and is a reasonably good value.

The style and overall vibe are really pleasant. I liked the decor and the atmosphere was welcoming. The staff were helpful and friendly and made me feel very comfortable.

The cafe on the main level is a nice place to hang out. I especially like the large couches by the fireplace. The rooftop patio is a nice touch and was a peaceful place to take my book and a cold drink. As a suggestion, if the hotel were to offer a bit of a discount to hotel guests on food/drinks it might encourage more people to stick around and foster a more communal atmosphere? Just a thought.

Yes, there are many homeless people all around the hotel but if you've traveled at all in the more temperate parts of the US (San Francisco, LA, San Diego, Seattle...) then this will not be a shock for you. Portland (and the US) as a whole clearly has a problem with homelessness and the homeless concentration around this area is definitely high but I never had a single problem with anyone and walked around by myself every night. Personally, I wouldn't let this be a factor in deciding to stay here.

Room Tip: Private room with a private bath
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo