“Overpriced, Overhyped, Not Good Food!”

Industrial Cafe and Saloon
Ranked #752 of 4,385 Restaurants in Portland
Price range: US$1 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Neighbourhood: Northwest District
Neighbourhood: Northwest District
Reviewed 22 February 2014 via mobile

I just had one of the most expensive really bad brunches of my life here! This place was so overhyped, expensive, poor service and not very good. I had the chipped beef, a fave comfort food growing up, and was shocked how bad theirs was. The plate first arrived cold, and i had to ask to have it heated. No apologies from the server, she just took it back and arrived mins later with a plate of luke warm chipped beef. The flavor was off, can't explain how, just not right and the portion was rediculously small for $13. Do not go here!
with a small amt of beef and sauce). My spouces

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Came to Portland for business and selected this restaurant because of a popular TV show -

I had the Hash - very flavorful, crisp - at first I thought, geez they could put more on the plate - but by the time I was finished, I couldn't eat another bite - it was just right.

Friend had the Chipped Beef - now I was raised in a Navy family, I know what SOS is - and I have eaten my share - - well this IS NOT SOS - - it is actual sliced beef in a rich cream gravy over a bed of sourdough toast. I have no idea how they make the gravy, but it was by far the tastiest gravy I have ever had - different flavor - not a heavy cream taste, but very creamy. I don't the what the flavor was - unique - and fabulous.

Staff were great, had other waitresses hear us discussing menu and chime in with "oh that is great" and another came by and mentioned "that is my favorite" - -

truly deserve "My Compliments to the Chef"

1  Thank Steve D
Reviewed 19 January 2014

We arrived there later on a Saturday afternoon. The place is well named, as the name describes the decor perfectly. The place was full leaving nowhere for us 3 adults and 1 three year old, to wait except squeezed in a corner between tables. I felt bad for those trying to eat. We waited for at least 20 min, and were delighted when we were finally seated. Our server was quick, bringing our drinks immediately. We went knowing what we wanted to try, had planned on trying 3 to 4 menu items and dessert. Then she asked for our order.... It was then, some 30 min into our visit, we were informed that the top items on the menu were gone. No, hash, chipped beef, meatloaf, etc. Leaving us a selection of burgers and sandwiches. I then asked if they had a children's menu. "No." "Can we order a half meal?". "No." "Not even of the mac & cheese?". "No, the cheese is measured in full orders." (???) We ordered what we could, 3yr old ate off our plates. We were no longer interested in dessert. We ate, it was ok. I asked for a refill of ice tea...They were out..... Really???? All said and done, my rating is reflective of the potential I believe this establishment has. I will try it again, in hopes of finding another great spot to frequent in the NW. Review expecting to be more positive in the future.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

We like to try all the Diners, Drive-ins & Dive spots when we travel and this was one of them in Portland. Loved this little spot and how it was uniquely decorated with a lot of sculpted, repurposed iron, gears, etc.. We had the chipped beef which was delicious and the corned beef hash which lacked seasoning and flavor.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Went to Portland on business and I was advised I had to go and have breakfast here. My wife and I walk from the Nines hotel to the rest. about 1.5 miles. The was good the service was exceptional. Definitely a place to visit and eat a good breakfast.