“Elegant lodgings steeped in local history”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Portland's White House
Ranked #2 of 36 Portland B&B and Inns
Pleasant Hill, California
“Elegant lodgings steeped in local history”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

This restored lumber baron's mansion is truly amazing. Situated in a quiet upper-scale residential area of North East Portland, the White House is a few blocks from stores and restaurants on NE Broadway in the Irvington District. You can park your car in front of the White House and leave it there during your stay, if so inclined. A short 5 minute walk gets you to the #17 TriMet bus that can take you to many stops in downtown Portland with a 25 minute ride, including Union Station and the Pearl District.

The rooms are all gorgeously appointed in period style, yet with modern touches like individual AC, phones and TVs. Breakfasts are suitable for lumber barons, too! (see picture). Superb house-made cookies and candy treats are offered daily.

The staff, from owner Lanning to his helpers, are informative, congenial and attentive to your needs.

All in all, a great stay - elegant, quiet, relaxing. Plus room prices offer a good value for what you get.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Merrick, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

Portland's White House was the perfect spot to stay during my visit to Portland. The property is beautiful and our room was well-appointed and comfortable. We stayed in the Balcony Room, which has a small outdoor seating area perfect for breezy summer evenings.

Lanning and his staff were wonderful. It was great chatting with him and the other guests and it made for a memorable stay. And I cannot say enough good things about the breakfast; his frittata was fantastic.

I was only booked to stay one night for an anniversary, but I would absolutely stay there again if the opportunity arose. Be sure to taste the delicious cookies that are set out for you in the room!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Perth, Western Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

Another fantastic stay at the White House. Lanning and his staff were overly accommodating for our last minute booking. The thing I like about the White House is that it's casual, it's got class, and they welcome my kids! We just bought a home in the gorge and will continue to use Lanning's place as our chosen layover spot in Portland. It's all good.

Room Tip: My favorite is the chofer's quarters in the old garage.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Wags71
Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

I wanted to write a review saying how impressed I am with the owner and staff at Portland's White House. We were scheduled to stay with them for two nights. However, due to severe flooding in our area, we had to cancel our plans and stay at home to bail out our basement. We were obviously disappointed at this change in plans, and having read the cancellation policies of the inn, I was aware that we would be charged for both nights. What a pleasure it was to receive a follow-up email from Teresa, saying they would cut the cancellation fee in half, due to the situation we were facing. I spoke to Lanning, the owner, and thanked him for his generosity. And now I wanted to share it with Tripadvisor!

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bakery
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

We stayed in Portland's White House for four nights and thoroughly enjoyed the experience. From a very comfortable bed to friendly guests and staff, the White House felt like our home away from home. The nearby neighborhood is beautiful and comfortable to explore on foot or by car and yet the B & B is close enough to downtown Portland to be a quick car ride away. Quick meals out are available within a 15 minute walk when you don't feel like traveling downtown. We particularly enjoyed Pastini Pastaria. It was always fun to see what was for breakfast at the B & B, and the group breakfast time gave guests time to get to know each other and compare traveling notes. I'm not the most social traveler around, but I certainly enjoyed the comfortable ambience with the folks here. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend Portland's White House B & B to anyone traveling to Portland. You'll love it.

Room Tip: The wifi coverage didn't quite make it to the Rose Room. If that's important to you, make su...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 July 2013

From June 28 to June 30th my extended family took over 8 rooms at the White House for my son's Bar Mitzvah. Lanning and his staff did an AMAZING job. Lanning and I worked out the details on the event over the course of a few months. Lanning was always straightforward, honest and responsive. We had dinner on Saturday night - an Italian Buffet per my son's request. The food was delectable. We had 80 people for dinner and 40 people for brunch the next day.

My family loved the facility and Saturday between our lunch at the synagogue and dinner - our group (including about 8 children under 10) walked to Grant Park to hang out.

We were very concerned that my mother - who is the most difficult consumer I have ever met - would not be happy with the facility - said she was "Ecstatic" when I questioned her.

Overall, the event was great because it served as a base for the family (in addition to the folks at the White House, my family had 9 other hotel rooms - mostly at the Marriott on the riverfront).

Finally, the thing that really made the event more special was the attitude of the staff. They had a great service ethic without being subservient. It felt like we were at someone's house and they were really, really good hosts. At one point, Josiah - one of the staff - said he was also Greek like my Mother (we had called her Yia Yia - the Greek word for Grandmother). He had a Greek tattoo on his arm and asked me if it would be okay to show my mother the tattoo because he liked to talk to folks about his Greek heritage - I said yes and that was a great hit.

When we got the bill - we were very surprised - it was exactly what we had negotiation with no add-ons charged (even though we had some).

I can't say enough good things about Portland's White House.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2013 via mobile

This place is beautiful and comfortable at the same time.
Located in a beautiful and quiet neighborhood it is a place to rest and relax. The service was excellent and the rooms were plush and nicely appointed.
Good for events too.