“Always Awesome!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Portland's White House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Portland's White House
Ranked #1 of 35 Portland B&B and Inns
Portland, Oregon
“Always Awesome!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2013

A great place to stay! We've tried a number of rooms and loved them all. The breakfast is always awesome.

We also had our wedding in their garden and the management went well beyond hosting the ceremony by helping us with many local services. We plan to celebrate many more occasions there.

Room Tip: Every room has great charm. Check out their gallery of rooms for your favorite. They all have the...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Commerce Township, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 October 2013

Perfect place to stay when visiting Portland. Actually stayed in the carriage/chauffeurs" house ..what a beautiful peaceful room. All the amenities of a fine hotel.. Breakfast is outstanding! Located near local bus routes /stops, therefore if you need transportation it is just a few steps away. Innkeepers are top notch too. Available if you need them however never intrusive.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

I am surprised by some of the latest reviews. My husband and I stayed at the PWH three days in late September. We chose the Canopy Room and found it beautiful, comfortable and quiet. Breakfast each morning was a pleasant combination of good food and interesting company.
Each morning when we returned to our room it had already been cleaned and restocked. When we asked a staff member, Ameena, for a restaurant recommendation she sent us to Papa Hyden in the 23rd St. District. It was the best French onion soup I've ever had. We would not have explored this area of town without her suggestion. As for the complaint about not liking the breakfast quiche, just proves you can't please all the people all the time. That's the deal with a B&B there is no ordering from a menu. The only issue I had is that I would have liked some help up the stairs with our luggage. But I didn't ask and they didn't offer. Maybe it will teach me not to overpack.

Room Tip: We really enjoyed staying in the main house. I think the carriage house is less expensive, but it ma...
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

On my first visit to Portland, this was just what I was after. Here for 4 nights visiting family I will most certainly be back.

The location is quiet and very convenient. The rooms were cosy, well presented, clean and with all the amenities one requires.

The staff were great - very friendly and helpful.

Best of all was the breakfast. Every day there was something different and so much thought and love went in to the presentation and creation of what was served.

A Bed & Breakfast should be exactly what it says - a Bed & Breakfast. You want to feel at home, relaxed and not feel like there are staff everywhere annoying you trying to get a tip. The Whitehouse had the balance just right. Well done, I will definitely be spreading the word to friends and family and look forward to coming back!

Stayed October 2013
portlandswhitehouse, General Manager at Portland's White House, responded to this review, 12 October 2013
Thank you so much for the wonderful review of Portland's White House Inn. We are so appreciative of you spreading the word to your friends and family and excited to be welcoming you back soon! We'll bake extra cookies!
Boerne, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

Although our favorite room was already booked, we enjoyed the Chauffeur's Quarters as we began our 10-day trip in Oregon. My wife's bubble bath, the free cookies, water, and champagne, the scrumptious breakfasts, the free, convenient parking, the nearby restaurants, the convenient location, the friendly hosts---all these and more added to our enjoyment at this historic and elegant B & B in Portland.

Room Tip: Look at the rooms online. The Chauffeur's Quarters was well-located in a separate building on t...
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for staying at Portland's White House Inn and taking the time to right this lovely review. Looking forward to your next trip to Portland! Hugs from us all!
Wheaton, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2013

My husband and I celebrated our anniversary with a 3 night stay at Portland's White House. We don't always stay at B&B's when traveling, but I do tend to find them a little more intimate and romantic in the right setting. We didn't need to stay right in the midst of downtown Portland, so I was happy to find this B&B as an option for this trip. The neighborhood was pretty and quiet with plenty of shops, restaurants, bars, and cafes within a short walk. As others mentioned, it's very easy to get to downtown Portland, as well as out to the Columbia River Gorge (30 minute drive) for some hiking and beautiful scenery. It was our first visit to Portland, and when I asked the young lady upon check-in if she had any advice or recommendations for our day at the gorge, I was really surprised that she had nothing. Nothing printed out available to give to anyone who asks, nor any advice or opinions herself. She said we could use the included Internet to look ourselves. I didn't think she was being rude, but that in training for her job she should be asked to be well informed about the area and any of the places guests might want to visit. The owner was there briefly when we arrived but immediately announced that he hadn't been home in several days and was really anxious to spend the next couple of days there, so.....see ya. We ended up seeking lattes the next morning before breakfast was offered (never were we offered espresso or lattes as mentioned on their website, it was only coffee or tea, which was a bit disappointing since I thought I'd be able to get a latte each morning). We walked to a local coffee/espresso/doughnut shop and the young man there gave us some great information about spending our day at the gorge, even recommending a good lunch spot. The breakfast served each morning was fine and filling. We appreciated receiving fruit with breakfast. We stayed in the Canopy Room which was quiet and comfortable. It was mostly clean, and storage was ample so it was easy to unpack and feel comfortable. We rarely had an issue parking on the street around the property. We did pull up one day too late to help an older man struggling to get his luggage into his car. I felt the owner and staff a bit indifferent to their guests. It wasn't what I expected from such a lovely B&B. There is no wine hour or honor bar or any personal service at all - at least during our stay. We paid for an adequate room in a lovely old home, but next time I'll probably just stay at a Kimpton where at least someone will be available to recommend a place for dinner or ask us if we've enjoyed our stay.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank lovetotravelChicago
Thank you for taking the time to let us know of your concerns for Portland's White House Inn.
Did you ask the staff to make you a latte? We do have the espresso machine and make latte's for our guests all the time. It isn't something we typically ask each guest and just do it upon request. However, after this review it should be something we let our guests know about as an option in the mornings. We also implemented putting two bottles of Hahn wine in the rooms on the honor system. Your review is important and I hope we can welcome you back soon to show you our changes. Warm regards.
Deerfield, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

This was our first B&B experience, and it just might have spoiled us for anyplace else. Room was lovely. Fabulous décor. Breakfast was sumptuous. Everyone was exceptionally friendly and accommodating. Yes, there were a few things that could be improved, like bathroom lighting. (I was told that it was too dim for applying makeup.)

1 Thank SCue
portlandswhitehouse, General Manager at Portland's White House, responded to this review, 5 October 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review for Portland's White House Inn! And especially letting us know about the bathroom lighting... It's always wonderful to hear what would make the room even better! Best wishes and we hope you come visit us again... I'll save a cookie for you!