“Great night in Portland” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Portland's White House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Portland's White House
Ranked #1 of 35 Portland B&B and Inns
ashlandgirl8
“Great night in Portland”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Was in Portland for one night.
The White House was so amazingly welcoming and friendly. The house is gorgeous and has a very nice patio, which my friend and I enjoyed glasses of wine and the sunshine.

We stayed in the Chauffeurs quarters. The room was beyond amazing. When we arrived we were greeted with cookies, chocolate and a lovely bottle of Champagne. Music was softly playing, which I thought to be a very nice touch. The bathroom was very simple and the shower was one of the best I've ever experienced. This particular room has a nice one person jetted tub, I was not able to experience the tub; however, the shower had two heads, I had to force my self out of the shower because it was just so relaxing.

The next amazing thing about this room, and i'm guessing the others as well, was the amazing king size bed. It has to be one of the most comfortable beds I've EVER slept in. My friend and I were joking around that we wanted to take the bed with us, or never leave. We also agreed that had we not gone out for the evening, staying in the bed and watching movies would have been just as or more fabulous of a night. One note,there is a stair case to a room above, I was a little worried about noise, but to my happy surprise I heard nothing.

The morning greeted us with a delicious breakfast, which we almost missed due to the bed's comfort. We were served coffee and a choice of juice, the meal was a great bread pudding french toast topped with fruit and served with a side of bacon (always a plus!). It was a very filling breakfast and a great way to start the day.

The last thing is the staff. Myra and Lanning are so welcoming and friendly, Very helpful and willing to help even with the smallest requests.

There are some great little restaurants in the neighborhood, Found a great little sandwich place just about eight blocks away called Petisco, amazing happy hour.

Overall, I highly recommend staying at the White House. I will definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (84)
Santa Monica, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

It's like staying at a relatives' place filled with (tons of) ceramics and stuff. Stuff. Lots of stuff. Nice room, very nice staff. Even came to get me at the MAX station, for free. Breakfast was good. Neighborhood is full of pubs and eateries. One off-putting item: There is a tip envelope for employees.....I think the prices here are high enough to enable a good living wage for them. So I did not add a tip.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
portlandswhitehouse, General Manager at Portland's White House, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a lovely review for Portland's White House Inn. We appreciate the feedback regarding not tipping (the staff thought maybe they did something wrong) and we look forward to welcoming you back the next time you are in the area. I know you must be missing the cookies! Big hugs, Myra
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at The White House for a weekend getaway, and we were very impressed. The house itself is spectacular- beautiful architecture, painstakingly restored, and very welcoming. The decor is incredible, with high ceilings, shining mahogany mouldings, and elegant paintings and murals, even though I was a little afraid of accidentally knocking over one of the many huge antique vases at times. The staff was very friendly and we were greeted straightaway by the owner upon our arrival, and shown around the premises. There were fresh-baked oatmeal butterscotch-chocolate chip cookies waiting in our room along with chocolate truffles and wine (which we didn't drink as there was an extra fee required). Bath products in the large private bathroom were from Molton Brown, and there was a hair dryer and even a curling iron provided for our use! We gave our planned breakfast time the night before, and upon waking up and heading downstairs found our food ready and waiting. Lanning (the owner) is an excellent cook, and we feasted on fruit salad, fresh chocolate-peanut butter scones, and amazing eggs Benedict with prosciutto and breakfast potatoes (vegan breakfast available on request), and bottomless coffee, tea, and juice. The staff was very courteous and helpful, yet not overly formal or stuffy. Overall a great experience- we would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed April 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a fabulous review for Portland's White House Inn. Those cookies are addicting... it's our way of trying to get you back! Great profile photo! We are looking forward to welcoming you back soon. Myra and Lanning!
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2014

My fiancé and I stayed at the house on a Saturday night in the Hawley room. This was our first B&B, so we were expecting a lot. The house itself is very museum-like and filled with vintage decor. The room itself was fairly small, but fine for just sleeping in (also the palm tree, beach-y decor was rather blah). It does have its own bathroom which is nice. The place was accommodating and let us leave our bags in the manager's office in the morning before our rooms were ready. There were cookies and chocolates in the room when we arrived later that day. I've read good reviews regarding the cookies, but found it tasted okay and didn't eat all of it. (It tasted like pancakes with syrup...?)

The breakfast was great and very tasty--had it at 8am It was a sort of apple cake/bread loaf with fruits and whipped cream and a side of bacon. The table was set up nicely as well.

There seemed to be a detachment between us and the house. There wasn't much of a staff presence aside from the two working the kitchen and the woman who gave us keys (we never saw her after that). Leaving the next morning was confusing because no one explained the check-out process to us. We ended up leaving the room keys in a bowl by the front door since it seemed others had done that.

The place didn't evoke a sense of comfort, likely caused by the seemingly delicate and expensive items in the house that didn't want to be touched as well as the presence of an older demographic that liked things quiet. We came back to the house around 7pm and the house was mostly dark, very quiet, and everyone seemed to already be asleep (I heard snoring through the walls...). We had to sneak upstairs and be quiet in our rooms to avoid making loud noises. I was also not fond of the old-people smell (i don't know what else to call it?) which was strongly evident on the comforter and pillows... This wasn't really a musty smell I would associate a B&B with. A distinct old smell...

Aside from the house looking nice and the great breakfast, I don't think this place was worth the price ($177/night), sadly. I felt more comfortable in the hotel by the airport.

Room Tip: The Hawley room was at the front of the house in between the balcony room and the corner room. It is...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Sonechdo
portlandswhitehouse, Manager at Portland's White House, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
It was such a pleasure to meet you both and I am sad for your disappointing stay. Please don't give up on Bed and Breakfast Inns! The beauty of B&B's and inns is their uniqueness from any other property. However, it sounds like it wasn't quite what you were looking for. Lanning, the owner of Portland's White House Inn, has an extensive collection from around the world here that adds to the amazing architecture of this 1914 historic property. He has restored and maintains the home to the original opulence. I hope you will give us another try. Please feel welcome to email me at pdxwhi@portlandfswhitehouse,com
Warmest regards, Myra
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2014

Portland's White House was such a great find. At just under 1.5 miles from the convention center, it was a convenient and superior option to convention center/downtown hotels because of its historic charm, fabulous breakfasts, and fantastic hospitality. Myra, the General Manager, was quick to respond to my e-mails, as was Lanning, one of the owners. I can't wait to come back with my husband. I stayed in the Baron's room which was beautifully appointed with a king-sized four post bed that I sank into with gratitude every night for a perfect night's sleep. Because of the residential setting, the neighborhood was peaceful in the evenings and offered great scenery for walks around the surrounding neighborhood. A homemade cookie greets you every evening and a local paper every morning. Breakfasts were divine - waffles w bacon, smoked salmon with eggs benedict, ...

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Susan H
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2014

Have recently joined Trip Advisor (to warn travellers about a hotel in Vietnam!) and decided I wanted to review this lovely B&B we stayed at last year in Portland. It was a bit further out than we had anticipated staying but were so glad we went there. From our early check in due to train arrival, the upgrade to our beautiful room with welcome cookies and drink, the super high bed and quality linen, the trouble the hosts went to trying to help us locate some clothes left on the Amtrak train which was on its way back to Chicago, the magnificent breakfast... it was a great stay. Reasonable walking distance to the light rail for downtown but we caught a taxi to it with our luggage on the way to the airport. Easy to get around and a good restaurant nearby. And such fun watching the squirrels chase each other around the power pole outside as we waited for that taxi. Great memories of this lovely place.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
portlandswhitehouse, General Manager at Portland's White House, responded to this review, 11 April 2014
Thank you Adrianne for such a wonderful review. It was such a pleasure having you stay with us here at Portland's White House inn. It feels so good to know we accommodated your wishes and provided you with a wonderful stay. I've just pulled out the cookies from the oven... should I save one for you?
Big hugs from Lanning, Myra and all of us here at Portland's White House Inn!
Aberdeen, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2014

I don't think I have ever slept in such a squishy bed! The (what I am calling) "Everything but the kitchen sink cookies" were phenomenal! Very romantic get away. Wife and I had such a great stay. Very beautiful house, very friendly host, very delicious food. Definitely worth doing again, and again, and again...

Room Tip: We chose the Rose Room, huge squishy bed, antique tub. Peaceful, and very quiet.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
portlandswhitehouse, General Manager at Portland's White House, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
Hello Martin.... thank you for the giggles. What a fun review!!! Portland's White House Inn is known for our "squishy beds"! Every room has feather mattresses, down comforters & pillows..... squishy luxury. We have cookies coming out of the oven now.... I made a couple extra for ya!!!! Big hugs from all of us here at Portland's White House!!!