“Nice B&B in a quiet location.”

Britannia at Terwilliger Vista
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Britannia at Terwilliger Vista
Ranked #25 of 35 Portland B&B and Inns
San Antonio, Texas
“Nice B&B in a quiet location.”
Reviewed 16 June 2011

The house is beautiful and across the street from Terwilliger Park. (We spent the afternoon walking the trails of the park). The rooms are really nice, clean and beds were very comfortable. My husband and I had the Blue Room and our son had the Green Room. Be prepared to be spoiled with a huge breakfast of eggs, sausage, toast, fruit and coffee. Great service, quiet place and the garden was just beautiful. Would definitely stay here again. There is a restaurant across the street (walking distance), Chart House, pricey but good food and an excellent view of the city.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Minnesota
Reviewed 5 February 2011

Three branches of my extended family stayed here for a wedding last summer. The innkeeper was rarely around, which suited us just fine. We felt completely at home in the living spaces and lovely garden. However, we were disappointed with the breakfast, especially for the price. We were there three nights, and each morning we were served one extremely sweet entree and that was it--no fruit, no cereal, no other choices. Also the morning coffee appeared an hour later than advertised, with no improvement from day to day, despite the fact that we were obviously all waiting (we were on east coast time and up early).

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
Oxnard, California
Reviewed 4 October 2009

The home is in a beautiful park area south of Portland and was very convenient for us. Finding it can be tricky if you don't have GPS or very good directions. The staff was very friendly and we felt it was a good value for the price of the room that we had. Our room was very quiet and was stocked with toiletries, water, and a hairdryer which was very nice. Breakfasts were a little uneven and we had the feeling that they were probably better when more people were staying there. Coffee, tea, and water were available in the dining room in the morning but not in the evening. We were disappointed in the size of our bathroom. We had to leave the bathroom door open in order to get into the shower. Also, we noticed an odor but never figured out what it was. Possibly it was coming from something that was scented in the storage area over the window. Whoever cleaned the room needed to give it more attention. We noticed a "dustiness" to the room and found a piece of dental floss on the nightstand. The pillows and linens could have been fresher but were adequate. If you are looking for an economical place to stay in a quiet setting with free parking, you might like Terwiliger Vista B&B.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
chico
Reviewed 1 October 2008

This easily located and lovely B & B is unique in the fact that it is not someone's home. It is exclusively for the overnight guest. It is peaceful and quiet with beautiful views of the gardens from all windows. I was welcomed with my name on a chalkboard outside of the front door and by the door of my room. I stayed in what is named "The Servants Quarters". It had a living area, kitchen, bath and bedroom. The rooms were clean and nicely appointed. I appreciated the TV as well...! The bedding/pillows were down, the linens crisp and white. The towels were clean and fresh and there was a toiletry basket filled with soap, toothpaste, shampoo etc. This was appreciated as I forgot my toothpaste!! My bathroom did have a hairdryer. ..such thoughtful touches. The living area had magazines and the local newspaper and I enjoyed sitting quietly with a cup of coffee by the window in the early morning light. The best part of my experience was spending moments with the new innkeeper, Sandy and the owner, Carl. They were both helpful with suggestions of other places to eat as well as directions around Portland. ...And yes, Sandy's breakfasts were delicious and generous. I was truly impressed!!! It was also a treat to meet the other guests and converse while enjoying the morning meal. Connections were made and it is amazing how small the world is.....you won't be disappointed!!

• Liked — Respect of privacy, peacefulness and lovely surroundings.
  • Disliked — Nothing..
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
danchited
Reviewed 22 August 2008

We just returned (Tokyo, Japan) after a trip to the west coast of the US which included a three night-stay at Terwilliger Vista B and B.
We were welcomed by a friendly chalk board message and then by Sandy, the new innkeeper (she told us that she was three months into the job).
The breakfast prepared by Sandy was delicious. It was everything that I imagined to be “northwest”!! We had blueberry souffle the first morning, waffles with strawberries on the second and french toast on the last. The portions were huge!!
The public areas were well kept (living area, hallway, garden). The room was clean and so was the bathroom. There was a basket of shampoo, toothpaste, lotion etc. for the use of guests. As I had brought most of my toiletries, I didn’t have to use them. I would have liked a hair dryer (maybe I needed to ask to get one).
Unlike some of the bed and breakfast places that I've stayed in where the owners were nosy and pushy, the guests here are left alone. I’m not implying that there was no contact between the innkeeper and guests. That’s far from true! When we asked, we got 100% satisfactory answers!! Sandy's driving instructions were detailed, and thanks to her, we never got lost. The last morning, there were only five of us at breakfast, Sandy sat with us and we enjoyed a delightful conversation getting to know her and the B & B.
I highly recommend this B & B to independent, cultured travellers who enjoy coming “home” after a hectic day of sightseeing.

• Liked — It was close to the center of Portland yet residential and away from the tourist scene. Free parking.
  • Disliked — Although the innkeeper was VERY pleasant, we never got to meet the owner.
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
New York City
Reviewed 7 August 2008

My husband and I and teenage son just returned from a 5 night stay while visiting several colleges in the Portland area. We have been staying at b & b's throughout my son's college visits and this was a wonderful experience! The b & b is owned by Carl who is extremely nice and is on the property every day. The b & b also has a new manager, Sandy, who from the moment you walk in makes you feel right at home. She is engaging, warm, kind, generous and efficient. And on top of all that, she makes the most delicious & decadent breakfasts we've ever had!! If you're not in the mood, there is always cereal with yogurt and amazing fresh fruit! She made great restaurant recommendations for lunches and dinners as well. The b & b itself is a welcoming home situated on a beautiful hill overlooking Portland. The location is just perfect with easy access to the city. The rooms are clean and simply decorated with little touches that make you feel right at home - cookies, a welcome note, and your names on the door of the rooms. This will be our place to stay when we return to Portland!

• Liked — The staff, the breakfasts, location
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
winnipeg
Reviewed 19 January 2008

I found the Terwiliger on the internet and contacted the owners directly. We were travelling from Winnipeg to Portland to see a Bob Seger concert.
This was our first bed and breakfast that we ever stayed in. The owners were pleasant and friendly.
The B&B was easy to find, right off the interstate. The owner suggested places to dine before we went to the concert. We were impressed about the easy access rail transportation. He had recommended that we park our car near the restaurant we were eating at and take the transit to the concert. Great advice!
The room was clean and comfortable. Our bathroom was outside our room, but was exclusively for our use only. I really enjoyed the old style heater in the bathroom - electric coils that keep you toasty once you are out of the shower!
Overall, the experience was enjoyable, and I definately would go back if I ever went to Portland again.

• Liked — Convenient location, beautiful area
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Portland
River's Edge Hotel & Spa
Hospitality Inn
#89 of 142 in Portland
Downtown
Residence Inn Portland Downtown/Riverplace

Been to Britannia at Terwilliger Vista? Share your experiences!