“Ruined our romantic getaway weekend.”

Britannia at Terwilliger Vista
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Britannia at Terwilliger Vista
Ranked #25 of 35 Portland B&B and Inns
Eugene, Oregon
“Ruined our romantic getaway weekend.”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Total bust. No one was there when we arrived. It was a cold, rainy day yet the doors were open downstairs so it was very cold in the room. We got the room with the fireplace, but there was no wood to make a fire to warm up the room. Apparently they expect guests to request firewood beforehand, though that was not mentioned on the website.

After a couple minutes we noticed our socks had soaked through; the carpet in our room had just been cleaned and they were still very wet. We had to wear shoes in our room for the remainder of our stay. The smell from the carpet cleaner was so overpowering my wife and I were lightheaded and had trouble sleeping (yet it was cold out making it uncomfortable to leave the window open to air the room). I ended up sleeping on a bench under the window in my jacket to have access to fresh air.

Breakfast was passable (though my wife's english muffin was not toasted) but we had such a rough night we could hardly stomach eating. We absolutely declined to stay the second night, despite the owner (who was out of town, and is not the inn keeper) charging us a cancellation fee. We drove back home that morning; so much for our romantic weekend getaway.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Jeff N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 25 October 2011

I wish I had read the reviews before booking. No one to greet us or help of any kind. Stayed in the blue room which looked good in the photographs but they must have been a long time ago. In the cold hard light of the morning it is dusty and very knocked about. At 11pm had to phone hostess as the heating fan was so loud we could not sleep, she switched it off, but at 2am it came back on and woke us up, had to call again. Met the hostess at breakfast, no warm welcome there and as for the breakfast less said the better. Do not waste your money go elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Kim M

Travellers are raving about these Portland hotels

St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 August 2011

When we arrived after a long drive, we made our own way to the room (you hardly ever see the HouseKeeper), we went into the Burgundy Rose Suite and went WOW. What a lovely room in a lovely house....but then!! Firstly we decided we would have a hot drink. You are lead to facilities downstairs which smelt musty but the chance of hot boiling water is nil. Fortunately as the house is left totally open (24 hrs a day which is rather spooky), we raided the kettle in the kitchen. On closer inspection of the room, the Hotel Inspector would have had a field day - old sweet wrappers, large piles of dust in the corners, cheap plastic flowers, soap and shampoo from Costco - in fact everything is very superficial( except the price). Looking round the house, we certainly would not have liked any of the other rooms. The office is in an open public area so not only could we check the bookings but also other guest's bills were left around. Breakfast is strictly at 9.00am - if you are not there the food is put out anyway. No choice, no top up on the drinks and of the 12 B+Bs on this visit, definitely the poorest. On one morning , even though there were 4 guests sat at table talking, at 9.15 the housekeeper joined us and 5 minutes later a young man wearing sun glasses who never said a word (we were told afterwards it was the Housekeeper's boyfriend). Breakfast was generaaly cold or luke warm. On the first night, the room was rather warm, so we tried the fan.It was obviously non-operational. The Housekeeper said she would change it. 3 days later the broken down one was still by the door. Although putting up a sign to make the room, it was not done. On the second morning I raised this to be greeted by a surprise and what would we want doing - I suggested the bed and bathroom would be a good idea. This was then done for 1 day and duly not done again the next. After we left, I realised I had left some socks in a drawer and asked that these should be sent on to where we would be in 10 days time in Seattle at our expense. Surprise, Surprise - they never arrived. On the very last morning, the Housekeeper was ill and the previous one was summoned at very short notice. What a difference - breakfast was better - overflowing bins were emptied! Oh I forgot to mention that on the second night we were freezing in our room because it turns out there is only one control (nothing in the book) for the whole house which is outside another bedroom and the guest probably by accident had turned it down to 50!!
I only hope the owner reads this and the other notices and does something about the running of this place and gives it back some TLC - IT DEFINITELY IS NOT WORTH THE PRICES BEING CHARGED AT PRESENT.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Q6495UIdavid
Palo Alto, California
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Judging from the reviews, this may have been nice a few years ago. Currently, however, it is in terrible shape. No one greeted us. We stayed in the "green room", a tiny room with a tiny T.V.. The bed was so soft it caved in the middle when we sat on it (and we are not overweight!) We literally took pain medication for the backaches we got from sleeping three nights in that bed. We asked to change rooms, (which we have never done before), but they were full on the weekend. The breakfast was really bad, and there were no choices. One couple arrived late to breakfast. Their breakfast was served "on time" and sat getting cold for twenty minutes. The downstairs smells of mold, which can be seen all around the little "guest refrigerator" there. Basically, they failed on two counts: bed and breakfast.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jane A
USA
Reviewed 7 August 2011

I would not stay here again. The innkeeper is not generally around, which is fine, since I'm not one to chat for a long time... but the whole place suffers from neglect. My room was not made up once in the three nights I was there. ZERO housekeeping, even though I put out the "please tidy the room" sign. I did run in to the innkeeper once while she cleaned the room across the hall for the next guests, and I said, "Oh, looks like you haven't gotten to my room yet," and she said, "Oh, I didn't think... um...did you need something?" I asked for a clean washcloth, which she gave me, and I declined further attention since it was already afternoon and I needed a nap. She is a very young woman, and I wasn't sure she was up to the job, honestly.

The hallway carpet was old and stained. One of the windows in my room was open a crack, and could not be closed - it was stuck. I was glad that the nights were warm, because the only source of heat in the room was a plug-in radiator that appeared to have a fried electrical plug (the outlets are all ungrounded, except for the one near the sink area - making it impossible to plug in grounded appliances or computer cords anywhere but the bathroom). There were cobwebs and dust on the lampshades.

The wallpaper in the bathroom and part of the main room was peeling. There was mold on the wallpaper above the shower and in a storage area over the toilet - quite obvious and ugly. The shower was impossible to enter with the bathroom door closed - it had to be open in order to open the shower door. When turning on the shower, I had to be sure to point the nozzle towards the wall to avoid spraying myself and the floor outside - something I'm sure many other guests have done. I suspect the bathroom used to be a closet. The decor in the room was rather dirty and not updated (old dusty fake plants, worn rug, lace curtains that are gray from dust or dirt along the top ruffle, etc). There was a musty smell to the room in general. There was mildew around the shower edges and sink edges. Even the lock on my door didn't work properly, and the key had to be shoved in, and then turned in a particular way.

Breakfast was put out at 9 am (pretty late if you are an early riser), and no choice in menu was offered (other than a choice of what kind of juice we wanted). A lukewarm entree with meat and overcooked eggs was set out, along with a small bowl of blueberries to be shared with the whole table. If you are vegetarian or vegan, you're out of luck. No other fruit, no cereal, no pastries, no yogurt, no delicious options that bed and breakfasts are so well known for. Edges of the plates and the silverware were tarnished. Kitchen floor was dirty. I skipped breakfast two of the three nights I stayed, because I needed to leave for earlier appointments in town (and didn't expect that the fare would be any better than the one morning I tried it).

I'm giving it two stars instead of one because the bed was comfortable, I liked the garden, the location was good, and because the house has so much potential in general. They just really, really need to update, and to offer some additional breakfast options. So much could be done with a little paint and some minor repairs and cleaning (the price of one night's stay would pay for a lot of that, if they would bother)!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Greenslady
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 4 August 2011

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights. Breakfast consisted of (2) lukewarm pre-cooked blueberry pancakes, doused with powdered sugar and (1) large sausage cut in half and grilled. This was served to us both mornings, we left and did not eat the breakfast the second morning that we were there. No fruit or cereal was offered, in fact the only fruit that I saw was in a basket on the kitchen counter and it was plastic... left over from 1960. No one was there to greet us upon entering the house, there was however a bowl of hard candies near the front door that were so old that they were hardened to the bottom of the bowl. The house itself was a very nice older house, but in general the place seemed un-loved and not very inviting. Over all it was clean enough.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 16 June 2011

The house is beautiful and across the street from Terwilliger Park. (We spent the afternoon walking the trails of the park). The rooms are really nice, clean and beds were very comfortable. My husband and I had the Blue Room and our son had the Green Room. Be prepared to be spoiled with a huge breakfast of eggs, sausage, toast, fruit and coffee. Great service, quiet place and the garden was just beautiful. Would definitely stay here again. There is a restaurant across the street (walking distance), Chart House, pricey but good food and an excellent view of the city.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family