“Corporate Quality with Personal Touch”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland North
Ranked #89 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 5 September 2009

I decided to spend a little more than I usually do ($100 a night as opposed to about $80) and the difference was immediately apparent. Spa, Pool, better breakfast, flatscreen TV, LAN and WiFi Internet. I was also treated to the most helpful front desk staff I have met. Eager to assist above and beyond the usual level you'd expect they were polite, welcoming and knowledgeable. Also, and I understand this is a unique feature to this hotel, in room sound-spa with soothing rainforest / summer night / rain / waterfall sounds to lull you to sleep. A great idea and one instigated by one of the staff.

In short this is a great hotel combining excellent facilities with personal service.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo

Reviewed 3 September 2009

A great hotel. Good value - definite worth considering next time we are in the Portland area. Only downside is the location. We had a hard time finding the place and once we did, it was another challenge in trying to drive into the driveway as the road meanders and curves throughout the development. Even our GPS was confused. Maybe if we had come in during the day, it would have been easier.

The hotel is located in a new development that is still being built. So maybe once it's finished, access will be easier. A fellow traveller coming in after me also had the same comments about access.

Rooms are spacious, very clean and trendy. It was like staying in a boutique hotel. Check in was fast and friendly. Bed was very comfortable. And the bathroom was spotless. The hotel was located next to the freeway. They offered a sleeping kit to help any light sleepers. We were ok as the air conditioner provided white noise.

We had dinner in Portland before arriving in the hotel. But during our drive in, we did not see alot of eateries nearby. You might need to drive back into Portland or Vancouver for places to eat.

We would definitely reconsider the next time we are in town. The price was good for what we got. Just make allowances for finding the place and having to drive for dinner.

Reviewed 2 September 2009

I look at reviews all of the time and I find them very useful in making my decision but I have never written one until now.

I am writing this at 4:45 am as I can't sleep and I haven't all night long. The noise in the rooms from the outside traffic is the worst by far that I have ever experienced in any hotel.

We are staying in a 3rd floor room and I haven't heard noise from other units I have just heard it from outside. At first I thought there must be a window open but this isn't the case. I should have paid attention when I noticed a sign which said "....Sound Spa machine has been provided to ensure that you receive a restful and relaxing night of sleep while at our property. Complimentary earplugs are also available upon request" but with a 2 year old busy chattering away I didn't look at the sign.

We did try the sound spa but we had to have it so loud to drown out the outside noise that we found it annoying. As for earplugs, well with a 2 year old that just isn't an option. We tried switching to a different room across the hall and at the opposite end but while it was less noisy the traffic was still very loud.

I personally would never EVER recommend this hotel to anyone because of the noise.

Good luck if you decide to stay here!
Laura

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
ElizabethMulder, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Portland North, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2009

As the general manager of this property, I feel that all guests have the right to share their experience at my hotel, whether good or bad. The reason I am responding to this review is because I believe it is a very unfair depiction of what actually transpired during this guest's stay.
These guests did stay at our property and were placed into a room facing the highway because it was the last room available for the type of room they had requested. As soon as they complained, they were immediately moved to a room on the other side of the property, from which we never receive any complaints of noise. For some reason, and the guest admits this, the wife of the party decided to stay in the "noisy" room, while her husband and daughter moved and slept just fine in the new room. So instead of choosing to enjoy a night of sleep, she instead chose to stay in the old room and get frustrated to the point of writing this review. The next morning our front desk staff went out of their way to find other accommodations for these guests for the remainder of their trip, since they were displeased with their experience and we did not have a room that would suit their needs. They refused any help that was offered.
As you can see by the other reviews posted for this property, our staff constantly strives to accommodate every guest to the best of our ability. If we offer a solution to a problem and the guest chooses not to accept it, that is their decision.
Thank you for your time.

Reviewed 1 September 2009

This hotel was amazing. Great, great, value for the price. We would stay there again in a heartbeat. The only complaint we had was trying to find the driveway into it. We could see the hotel but could not find the driveway, until we drove around and around and then had to finally stop and ask someone. We contacted them regarding this, and they replied saying they are in the process of putting up better signage, with the permission of the city. If you decide to stay there, make sure you read the directions very well, ahead of time.

Reviewed 30 August 2009

Rooms were clean, beds were comfortable but roll away wasn't comfortable. Bathrooms were large and clean. Friendly staff. Pool and hot tub were clean. Only drawbacks were, we needed to use the laundry facility and it wasn't working properly. The front desk said they haven't worked well for a while. This was a newer looking hotel so it surprised me that it had problems. They said that the hotel next door was a sister hotel and I used their laundry rooms but I still had to tug everything back and forth..made it inconvenient. Breakfast was very nice and spacious area to eat in.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 August 2009

My husband and I spent the night with our grandson at the Fairfield North Harbour Marriott and loved it. It was reasonably priced and kid friendly. My grandson loved the visit to the indoor pool, the friendly staff, and the sweet free breakfast the next morning.

The location is easy to find off of the Interstate 5. The neighborhood is a whole loop of Marriott hotels and feels open and safe. There's a short walk to the river and also an excercise room in the hotel.

Reviewed 19 August 2009

We recently stayed at this hotel during a 3 day stay in Portland. The hotel is located north of the downtown core, and handy to the airport (if that's important), if you have a car to travel in, this is an ideal location. Quiet area with some restaurants within walking distance but only a short drive ( approx. 10 -15 minutes) to everything else . We loved our stay, room was a bit small, but not an issue for two people. The furnishings were modern, new and the room was very clean ( important). Bed was also quite comfortable. The hotel has free internet access by the front desk, and wireless in the room and a nice breakfast was included.
The front desk staff is very good, extremely helpful and responsive to any concerns or questions. They have wonderful print out pages ready on local attractions, and restaurants INCLUDING driving directions from the hotel, which they are happy to give you ,also maps and other helpful tourist items. We were extremely impressed with the front desk service FIVE OUT OF FIVE STARS TO THEM!!
Hotel also has a pool and a nice little fitness center. The value for the price we paid could not be beat. They also have an AAA rate. Overall it was perfect. We would happily recommend this hotel to anyone, and would go back and stay there ourselves, without question, if we should travel back to Portland. It was definitely the very best value for money , in our 8 day holiday holiday through Washington -Oregon.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple