“What a pleasant surprise!”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Portland NW
Ranked #65 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Juneau, Alaska
“What a pleasant surprise!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

I needed a place within close driving distance of my event. Not ever having stayed in a La Quinta before I was a bit leery. But reviews were good. Wow what a surprise! It was really nice. Super clean. Very friendly staff who were also very efficient. Nice room with all appointments and a nice bed. Microwave and fridge and a little counter. Flat screen tv, desk, decent size sink/vanity area. It was also quiet and lots of parking. I never ate breakfast but it looked good. This place was such a good deal. I am a little picky with hotels and usually choose a little more upscale but had no option and boy was I glad I stayed here.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Akgambler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (35)
Kingman, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013 via mobile

I was pleasantly surprised how nice this hotel is. The whole place is really clean and nice smelling. Our room was very nice too. Yes, its a bit out of the way, but the bus to downtown comes right in front of the hotel every fifteen minutes. I'm happy with my choice :)

• Stayed July 2013
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

The two best parts of this hotel: the price and the free hot breakfast. This hotel was the cheapest hotel in NW portland with a pool, an absolute necessity. The hot breakfast included BISCUTS AND GRAVY, and scrambled eggs. The location of the hotel was OK, but was in an industrial area far from downtown.

• Stayed June 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2013

This was sort of our last resort for accommodation in Portland, everything else was fully booked for the weekend (for some reason we couldn't understand). So, my hopes were not very high, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The pros: clean, nice rooms with lots of space, lots of TV channels (?), breakfast included
The cons: not walking distance to/from the city centre, part of a hotel chain (less personal), breakfast not the yummiest (but it kept us full enough to go into town for a second breakfast)

It's easy to take a bus/cab (20 min bus, $10-15 for a cab) to downtown, but it's a hassle if you want to go to the room to leave things/have a nap. There is not much around the hotel, just a convenience store (closes at 10 or 11 pm) and an industrial area.
The hotel has a pool and a hot tub, looked ok but we never used it.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Bothell, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

I stayed here while in Portland for the Rock n Roll Half Marathon. I chose La Quinta because dogs of any size stay free. Also, this is a smoke-free property, which is nice. The staff was friendly and helpful. As we were pulling into the parking lot, a Portland police officer was also pulling up. Not a great sign. Apparently, someone had left drug paraphernalia in a room so an officer was called. Other than this surprise upon arrival, there didn't seem to be any other shenanigans going on while I was there.

My room was located on the third floor and had one king size bed. The room was clean had plenty of room for my dog's bed, his toys, plus all my stuff. I love the little Keurig one cup coffee maker. The bed was really comfy and the hallways stayed pretty quiet. When taking a shower the first morning, the tub filled up quickly with water. I pulled about and half cup of hair (seriously gross!) out of the drain. If it wasn't for this, I'd probably give this place 5 stars.

The location was fine. I was perfectly happy NOT staying right downtown, but still being close enough to get there quickly. I wish I had had more time to check out all the trails at Forest Park behind Yeon Ave. All in all, a decent place to stay, especially compared to the prices at other places closer to downtown.

Room Tip: The third floor is probably the most quiet.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank SeattleJen41
Pendleton, Oregon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 May 2013

when reading the site for this hotel said "restaurant on site" I couldn't find one since we had taken our grandson to Randall's kids Hospital I didn't feel like driving all over looking for one. only thing close is a McDonalds, we were there for two nights other than that the room was nice and clean. he breakfast wish the guy doing it Wednesday morning would of taken the bread, bagels and muffins out of the bag I didn't like eating out of it after someone reached their hands into it.

Room Tip: we were on the 1st floor was muggy with the pool but still nice a/c was pretty quiet
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family