“Stay away”

Quality Inn Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #102 of 139 Hotels in Portland
“Stay away”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

The bed was so soft that it gave me a backache. The room had stale air. The Internet is not "free" if you need to watch an ad every time you log on, especially if it keeps hanging every time you try to watch the ad.

The underground garage did not feel safe, with people rifling through the garbage repeatedly and a likely drug dealer taking off when we entered the lot one afternoon.

I was not happy with my stay at all.

Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Tiffany V

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013 via mobile

It is to the Portland Quality inn..the bed was saggy and bumpy. The swimming pool was like revenge for never cleaning my gold fish bowl when I was a kid..it was alge coloured and smelled off. The free wifi was a manor of speaking. It was only free after you are forced to watch an advertising video..that is not free..but the insulting thing is that the wifi is so slow that the ad would hang so you could not get on. If you do get on it will kick you off every few minutes..and it is also extremely slow.

Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Portland hotels

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2013

I noted a wide range of reviews before I booked in here (alone, for context) so I was somewhat nervous, but my room smelled absolutely fine, it was extremely roomy, the bathroom was brand new and clean, I had a microwave and kettle available to use and a flatscreen television fully equipped with lots of channels. It was fairly well located, just a brief walk across the river on the bridge or a bus ride to the city centre. I stayed here two nights and had to leave at 2am to get to the airport for my next flight, so the concierge booked my cab for me, which I appreciated. I had a really nice experience here!

Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
Washington State
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2013

We liked the comfortable beds, some of the best we have found in a budget hotel. Our room on the second floor smelled just fine and was clean. The breakfast buffet had a nice selection. We were able to find parking each time we came back to our room. Movie theater and mall very close by and Red Robin right across the street. No problems with management or check in. The walls are thin though and other guests can be quite noisy. Turn on the fan to drown out the noise and you will be fine. You are downtown so there are a lot of homeless people, quite common in Portland. No one troubled us though. We would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2013 via mobile

Our room had a funky smell. Room was just the standard kind of room you'd expect. Big enough, comfortable enough.. Just stinky!!! I don't know how safe the area is (doesn't seem safe) and their parking lot doesn't feel all that safe/secure. We never had a problem but were nervous leaving our car parked overnight. Pretty close to the city though so that was good. Breakfast was pretty non eventful, nothing to write home about.. Front desk staff were nice enough, even if they were just a couple of 20 something year olds. Probably wouldn't recommend this hotel or stay here again, just because I'm sure there are nicer places. And again, the funky smell!

• Stayed April 2013
mooresville, nc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2013

i am a travel agent. i got a call from the mgr that one of my clients cc was declined. the client was flying there that day and supposed to check in that night. i left a mess for him and told the mgr that he would call in a new cc. the mgr wanted my clients flight schedule. when i told him i couldnt give that out -he told me the reservation is cancelled and hung up on me. i called back to get a cancellation number and he was so rude and told me that "He didnt need our business". I would NEVER give my money to someone like this! I will NOT book any of my clients there. I would not trust this manager not to try to charge my cc for things that i didnt do.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank travlinround1
manager431, Front Office Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 18 April 2013
We have a 24 hour cancellation policy. We require a valid credit card to guarantee the room. In the morning of your client's arrival date, we tried to authorized the card to make sure the creidt card is valid. The credit card declined. This is done so that we do not get left with a non-guaranteed room at the end of the day if your client does not show up. You failed to provide, as a travel agent, any information regarding your client in the reservation itself, so we had to call you to get the information so we can inform your client that his reservation was non-guaranteed and therefore will be canceled. I apologize if i came across as rude to you, that was not our intention. Our intention was to inform you that because there was no valid credit card, reservation cannot be honored as we were completely booked and there were other customers that were willing to purchase the room. In the future, please make sure when making a reservation, in order to get a guaranteed reservation for your client, you provide us with a valid credit card.
Langley, British Columbia, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2013

This location is very good. I though would be to far from Downtown but it is a nice area and close to everything. They accept pets which is a big plus.
The Hotel itself was OK but I feel bad spending over $100 to a "OK" place (hotels are sooooooooooooo expensive). The entire hotel smells like mold, my room, that suppose to be a non smoking room , felt like an ashtray. It was so bad we had to use loads of Febreeze.
The bed was really comfortable and clean and staff was nice but they could not really solve the issue we have with the smelly room.
Plus our room 114 was close to the main entrance so it was a little noisy as every time someone arrives we would hear them, annoying when it is late and you want to sleep.
It was a long weekend and the place was really busy, so busy that we could not find a place to park!( And one of the main reasons we chose this hotel it was the parking facility).
Again staff was nice but they did not solve the problem, we ended up parking in the handicapped parking.

I saw the reviews about the breakfast but the place was packed and there was a big line in such an snall area so we decided to just skip the breakfast.

The wi-fi works ok but I absolutely hate when you have to keep login over and over again. If you did not use your PC for 10 minutes ut would ask for the password and takes few minutes to start over.

Overall was ok, but the smell of the place really made this hotel lose a lot of points.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple