“So very bad! There is no "quality" here! Run!”

Quality Inn Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #101 of 140 Hotels in Portland
Seattle, Washington, United States
“So very bad! There is no "quality" here! Run!”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

This is the worst hotel I've ever stayed at in Portland, but not the cheapest. We're in Portland pretty frequently as my husband used to live there. This was a last minute trip for a funeral and most places nearby were already booked or we never would have paid so much for this awful dive. I wish we had just stayed further out and driven in for the service. The staff were not helpful or accomodating (in fact, they don't even acknowledge you when you walk in), the room smelled so strongly of bug spray and urine that I couldn't get to sleep, there was mold growing in the bathroom, hair on the "clean" towels, and the wi-fi kept cutting out. Not to mention how noisy it was (and I'm not generally bothered by noise). There's zero chance of sleeping in without industrial earplugs and those aren't going to help with the vibrations from all of the carts banging around the hallway or the slamming doors. Oh, and don't get me started on the "breakfast" or how the staff pops your english muffin out of the toaster while you're standing right there watching it. Even the in-room coffee packet had already been opened (but restocked in the display). On the plus side, we didn't have to bring a toy for our dog since the room was so poorly cleaned that my dog was able to just drag one out from under the bed. I wonder what else is down there...

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Christine W
GMor179, General Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 12 September 2013
I will be asking for this posting to be removed because this is not our hotel. We do not accept dogs in our Quality Inn and they pictures guest took are not pictures of our hotel. This is an interior corridor hotel and our is an exterior. I am sorry these guests had a horrible stay but I am Thankful it was not our hotel.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Reviewed 7 September 2013

This is the worst hotel I've ever stayed at in Portland, but not the cheapest. This was a last minute trip for a funeral or we never would have paid so much for this awful dive. The staff were not helpful or accomodating, the room smelled so strongly of bug spray and urine that I couldn't get to sleep, there was mold growing in the bathroom, hair on the "clean" towels, and the wi-fi kept cutting out. Not to mention how noisy it was (and I'm not generally bothered by noise). There's zero chance of sleeping in without industrial earplugs and those aren't going to help with all of the carts banging around the hallway or the slamming doors. Don't stay here. Stay in Vancouver or Beaverton, if you have to but don't stay here.

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank BabyBlue75
manager431, General Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
I am sorry that you did not have a pleasant stay with us. You had booked a room with us thru expedia. You then called us to upgrage to a jacuzzi suite and wanted to pay the difference between what expedia was going to pay us and the cost of the Jacuzzi suite. We informed you that our contract with expedia requires us not to disclose the rate at which we sell our rooms to expedia and therefor you could not simply pay the diffence in price from the room you had booked thru expedia and the jacuzzi suite. We also informed you that you could simply cancel the reseration with expedia and rebook a room a jucuzzi room with us. Jacuzzi rooms are not sold thru expedia. You were very upset prior to arriving at our hotel and were upset that we would not upgrade in the manner you wanted us to upgrade your room. Again, I apologize for not being able to upgrade but we have to go by our contract with expedia when you book a room thru expedia.
As for your other comment, we were not made aware of any of these problems in the room during your stay or at checkout. We will definetly look into the problems you have pointed out and correct them as needed.
Thank you for your comments.

Travellers are raving about these Portland hotels

Lincoln City, Oregon
Reviewed 27 August 2013

The guy who checked us in think his name was garrett was awesome and very professional.
the hotels overall condition is decent.great location good breakfast.the wifi was good no problems
which is unusual for hotels.the only things I noticed that made me a little nervous was all the homeless people picking through ashtrays and trying to get money from me.the room was clean bed was nice and comfy. the only problem i saw in the room was the front door would not latch or close all the way on its own without help we where in room 101.we will definitely stay here again next time were in town.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank lynn c
Reviewed 21 August 2013

Have stayed here twice now and have had good experiences. The location is close enough to downtown without the high prices of the hotels in the downtown area. Easy access to public transportation or a free parking lot for registered quests.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lineninlove
Reviewed 16 August 2013

The thermostat by ENTER-gize, http://www.entergize.com/tempcontrol.html , kept returning the room temperature to 74 degrees after only a minute or two of air conditioner function when we selected a lower temperature. It is possible that the staff could have helped by resetting the complicated master controls somehow, but we were busy there, didn't suffer too much and didn't complain. Check out the thermostat function right away if you stay there. Great location!!

Room Tip: Check right away for thermostat problems. The staff will want to help - and maybe they can.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank 180Bill
manager431, Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Thank you for your input regarding the thermostat control in your room. We will take a look at the control in the room you stayed in to see what caused the problem and get that fixed. We have very few rooms with the thermostat you mentioned. We are removing them and installing digital control on the heat pumps in the room themselves. Yes we do have a great location and are working on improving the property everyday. We hope to see you again in the future.
Centralia, Washington
Reviewed 31 July 2013

A staff member from my agency had reservations for two nights at this establishment 7/30/13 - 7/31/13. Upon arrival she was not allowed to check-in into her room as the agency credit card had not been pre-authorized. This document had not been sent to us prior to her arrival. Pre-authorization paperwork was mailed to my agency @ 8:32 pm on 7/30/13 .

My employee informed the Front Desk Agent that there was nothing that I could do until the next morning. She was then told that there was nothing they could do. My employee phoned me at home (45 minutes from our office) to see what else we could do. My employee had no means of securing lodging with personal credit. The hotel staff did call their Manager to see if the reservation could be kept (checking in to her room) knowng I would process the needed documentation first thing the next day. Again, we were told there was nothing that could be done. Could she use all her per deim to hold the first night? Yes, but they would not guarantee the second night without the documentation.

High Quality Customer Service? NOT

Room Tip: Unable to comment on quality of rooms, services, etc. as we were unable to stay due to failure on th...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
manager431, Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
I am sorry that you feel our customer service fell short of your expectations. When you made the reservation on 7/24th at 1:54PM on our website, you provided a third party credit card as a guarantee for the room. While a third party credit card can be used to guarantee the room, a valid third party credit card authorization is required to check in. We never mail these third party credit card auth., we always email or fax them to expedite and make sure the authorization is present at the time of check in. These authorizations are required to prevent fraud and for your own safety to prevent unauthorized use of your credit card.
At check-in, your employee could not produce this auth. We asked her to pay for the room for one night and get the authorization next morning. However, her credit card declined for one night room and tax and she did not have enough cash to pay for one night. She had no means of payment to check-in. We told her that without a form of payment we cannot check her in and she left. We canceled her reservation.
As for per diem, I am not sure what you are referring to, we do not have any form of payment called "per diem". We only take cash or a valid credit card with sufficient funds on the card to pay for the room and incidentals. Neither of which could be produced to pay for the room.
Thank you for your comment and I hope this explains why your employee was not able to secure a room with us.
Reviewed 23 July 2013

The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful but the amenities fell a little bit short.......there were no towels in the pool to dry off after a cooling off swim......definitely in the wrong part of town......homeless and vagrants walking around the property.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends