“Quick walk to the Moda Center”

Quality Inn Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #103 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Coquille, Oregon
“Quick walk to the Moda Center”
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

We like this hotel for it's close proximity to the Moda Center for sports events and concerts: 5 minute walk. Reasonable rates, comfy beds, $5 to park your car, nothing fancy. There is a Red Robin Restaurant across the street for a bite to eat after the event.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Genelle H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We were in town for a basketball game and this hotel is about as close as you can get to the Rose Quarter and they offer free parking so it's pretty hard to beat that value. Beyond the price and location though, there's not much else that stands out. Our room looked out towards a busy street and was pretty noisy all night long, luckily we're heavy sleepers so it didn't bother us too much. Breakfast was basic as was expected and the "fitness center" was just a treadmill and a bowflex type machine. There is a pool, but it didn't look very enticing to us so we passed. Our room was huge, but it definitely looked like it was about ready for a renovation. All in all, the hotel gets the job done, but there are probably better choices out there.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rider1129
Kennewick, Washington
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Location, location, location... Convention Center is where we needed to be. The beds were comfortable. The room was fairly clean, though there was a discarded candy wrapper on the floor under the HVAC unit. The shower drained slow and was difficult to pull on. After reading reviews asked about a room on the quiet side. Can't imagine how loud it would be on the busy side. It helped to have white noise to diminish traffic noise. The breakfast was average - biscuits and gravy or "blueberry" waffles were hot choices. The person working the breakfast room did a great job of keeping it clean. We didn't use the pool area. Our room had a small shower with out a tub. We had friends staying at a nearby hotel at twice the price, we were in the room so little I am glad we stayed here instead. Parking was free! A bonus in this area. The towels were small and the hotel ran out. Probably because the hotel was busy and the towels were small therefore requiring 2 for the ladies, one for hair the other for body. Pack your own toiletries.

Room Tip: Run the fan at night to block out road noise.
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank debrueg
Countryside, Illinois
Reviewed 9 January 2014

Very easy to get to downtown from this hotel. Close to Max rail, bus & street cars.
It takes about 5minutes to downtown by car or Max.
Convention center is about 2blocks away.
Lloyd center and good restaurants are within walking distance.
The hotel is old but, the room was clean & the bed was comfortable. The linens were clean.
The breakfast was good & plentiful. The dining room was kept clean. The dining room staff was
kind & very attentive. The hotel also offers a free parking for the hotel guests which is a big plus.
The hotel has small indoor swimming pool for the guests. It was very convenient place for us and we were satisfied.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aligela C
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 6 December 2013

I booked a through Expedia to stay at this hotel. The reservation was made at 8pm the night before my arrival. I was road tripping up from LA and got snowed in about 3 hours south of Portland. I called Expedia and informed them of my situation and they said they would be happy to refund my money if Quality Inn agreed. They did not. I personally called the manager, Eric [---], and informed him of my situation. I explained that I physically could not get to the hotel. Parts of I5 were closed and I could not get through without chains on my tires. He was so rude to me. He explained that it was their policy to not give any refunds NO MATTER WHAT. He said it was my choice that I was not showing up to the hotel and therefore I would not be getting a refund. I asked if he could offer me a credit or work with me at all and he would not budge. I'd understand not refunding my money for frivolous reasons, but I physically could not get to the hotel. Then to be rude to me on top of all this is utterly ridiculous. Obviously the management does not care about their customers. Please do not reward this behavior with your business at this "Quality" Inn.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank CaitP55
manager431, Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
I apologize if you felt I was rude to you, it was not my intention. I was trying to explain the cancellation policy which you had agreed to at the time of booking. We do charge for no shows or cancellation made after the cancellation deadline. Cancellations due to weather conditions after the cancellation deadline are not allowed per agreement you had signed when you booked the room with us. We did have many guest check in that came from the same area you were in and freeways were open at the time. if you book directly with us, we can and are usually more flexible with cancellation policy but when reservations originate from third party travel agencies, we do abide by the cancellation policy and all other rules and conditions that is agreed to at the time of booking.
Oregon
Reviewed 20 November 2013

This used to be a crappy La Quinta now it's a nice Quality Inn. Decor and bed nice and comfortable, Just a shower in out room but it had a heat lamp and nice shower head-- plenty of hot water. Close to the Max but only a 6-7 minute walk to the Rose Garden. Walked into breakfast room about 9 am expecting it to be shot at that time but it was fully stocked and had some great bisquits and gravy. Only drawback--the walls are still pretty thin.Another bonus--right across the street from Burgerville. Got it for $65 on Priceline express and free parking.

Room Tip: We didn't have any trouble with our top floor room.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Costa Mesa, CA
Reviewed 30 October 2013

I have stayed here many times during the last six years. The property has undergone an owner/management change.

The good points:
----still has very dedicated employees who are anxious to please
----the breakfast buffet is excellent with many good choices
---clean and comfortable rooms

The bad points:
---I had a pre-paid reservation. Upon arrival, the employee asked me for a credit card to cover "incidentals." When I asked what these were, I was told it was for things like the "media charge."
When I asked what this was, the employee was very cagey and said, "Lots of hotels near the airport have this." But she would NOT explain what this was. I plan to dispute this when I receive my credit card bill.

---When I was riding from the airport to the hotel with an employee, she told me that all the rooms had been "remodeled." I stayed in Room 106 and found the carpet in desperate need of replacement and the furniture scratched up. There has been no remodeling as far as I'm concerned.

Make sure you contest this mystical "media charge" and absolutely refuse to pay it. If it is not reversed on my credit card bill, I will stay elsewhere next time. How tacky!

Room Tip: Don't pay the "media charge!"
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
manager431, General Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We do require incidental credit card on pre paid reservations. We do not have any media charge. No media charge is accessed for any customers. I incidental cards are taken for any incidentals that can occur during your stay such as damage to the room, phone calls, non declared pet fees, smoking in our non-smoking room. None of these charges applies unless they are incurred by the guest. I will train the front desk agent that told you that the incidental card is for media charge to explain our incidental card better at check in.

As for renovations, we have replaced furniture, TV, a new wifi system for internet, new bedding, new chairs, and working on getting the carpets replaced this coming year.

Again thank you for your feedback.