“Don't expect much-very basic hotel”

Quality Inn Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #103 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Portland, Oregon
“Don't expect much-very basic hotel”
Reviewed 10 May 2014

We stayed there for over a week in 2012 for personal business. We chose it because we wanted to be on the east side near the Trimax train, plus we did not want to pay too much. I guess you get what you paid for. The place was old, room could be cleaner. The breakfast guy was very friendly but unfortunately the breakfast is not so good, same stuff everyday. Most are packaged items except for some eggs or biscuit and gravy which did not have much flavor. There is a small pool which I swam a couple of times and was ok. May be next time I will spend a little more for a more updated hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 23 April 2014

I was looking for a place with a pool and it is a good pool. The main problem I had was that the bed was way too soft for me. Transportation is easy with the Max-line light rail train and buses close by. Lots of places to eat within walking distance. The motel is old and kind of shabby but i wouldn't mind that as much if the bed was comfortable. The people who run it and really nice and try to help. The free breakfast was decent...not as fancy as some places but better than some that just have a roll and coffee.

Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
colfax
Reviewed 12 April 2014

Stayed one night. Dirty towel left in the room and electric outlet in bathroom didn't work. Took a shower in the morning, but there was no hot water. It was just barely warm enough to run through to get the soap off. Would have left, but was in town for an event at the Moda Center and motels were full. I paid cash when we got there, not realizing that they had charged my credit card the day before I got there, and for more money! They also required me to pay a $150 deposit because I was paying cash. When I realized that I basically paid 3 times I called to straighten it out and was told that they could do nothing and that I would have to take it up with my bank!! So, as of now still out the extra money! Definitely wouldn't go back. To their credit the bed was comfortable, but it wasn't worth $450.00!!

• Stayed April 2014
Eugene, Oregon
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Let me preface by saying I was really disappointed my husband's employer opted for cheap, but such is life. The hotel itself was not BAD... but certainly not good. Apparently parking in this area is very minimal and they sell space to local office people--so I guess this is the reason I got a nasty note on my car saying it was "marked for tow". Apparently, upon our arrival we were supposed to receive some sort of permit, which the clerk neglected to tell us about or provide us with. Thank goodness I used my car that day and noted their nasty note, otherwise we would have been spending lots of money, I'm sure, getting our car, that of a registered guest, out of impound, so that they could sell more slots to the local businesses and their employees. I was a little worried when I first sat on the bed and heard it squeak, but it wasn't as uncomfortable as I thot it would be, fairly decent. We were there for 5 nights and the hotel housekeeping only cleaned our room twice. This could have been a language issue tho, the housekeeper did not speak very good English. Paint peeling from the walls, bathtub leaked, cable kept going in and out, and an unusual odor. Be aware of the continental breakfast preparer/server tho--he is very territorial over his kitchen/dining room and will remind you to practice good manners and hover while you prepare your plate. One day the bathroom nearby was overflowing with feces when I went in to wash my hands; he cleaned it up right away, but my appetite went down the toilet, no pun intended, lol... if you can spend a few more dollars I'm sure you can get a better value for your money, but if saving $$ is your goal, I suppose this place is passable.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Tammy G
Medford, Oregon
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The convention area was very busy during the day we were there so we felt lucky to find a room. This is an old school hotel- not luxury by any means. The clerks were friendly and the location is perfect. My biggest complaint was that at times we heard guests walking around in the room above us. Also I hope the staff can run down the cause of a not so pleasant odor in the hallway.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank van3300
Reviewed 14 March 2014 via mobile

Second time here. Price is right and near all great locations in downtown portland. I asked for a non-smoking room, but was immediately greeted with the smell of smoke that was obviously living there for some time. Staff was great and helpful and moved me to a different room. Bed was great with flatscreen TV. Place really needs to be renovated though. Was charged an extra 5$ for parking.

Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank BendBurd
Coquille, Oregon
Reviewed 27 February 2014 via mobile

We like this hotel for it's close proximity to the Moda Center for sports events and concerts: 5 minute walk. Reasonable rates, comfy beds, $5 to park your car, nothing fancy. There is a Red Robin Restaurant across the street for a bite to eat after the event.

Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple