“Clean, tidy, functional, very comfy beds”

Quality Inn Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #100 of 141 Hotels in Portland
england
“Clean, tidy, functional, very comfy beds”
Reviewed 31 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed 2 nights here, just used it as a base while we explored Portland. Rooms were clean and tidy, bed was huge (by English standards) and sooooo comfy. Breakfast was average, small room and very basic but this is common I think for the US. Hotel staff were polite and very helpful

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Flagstaff, Arizona
Reviewed 20 August 2014

I needed to stay one night in town and found this place on Hotwire for a reasonable rate. It is the kind of motel that is decades old and was constructed out of cheap materials and blah architecture. Much of the place does look dated and worn. To their credit, the management has taken some pains with fresh paint and new tile in the bathrrooms. The bedding and pillows are attractive and comfortable. My checkin clerk, Julio, was most cordial and when I returned to the desk to ask that the chirping smoke alarm needed the batteries replaced, he was most concerned and even offered to come help me move my baggage, which was kind of him but not necessary. It could not be repaired at that time as the maintenance person was gone for the day. I slept comfortably last night, but found the breakfast so-so. I did not use the pool or tiny fitness center. The hotel is easily reached by public transit, which I used to join friends for dinner downtown and left my car parked at the hotel. There is a $5 charge per parking, but I was expecting it to be more. All in all,it served my purpose, but I prefer hotels with some more class.

Room Tip: Don't expect the Ritz and you will be fine.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Taos
Reviewed 12 August 2014

Check bill after you check out, I received a pet charge even though I explained I was on a business trip and it was not possible for me to take a pet with me. I was accused of lying and I was treated rudely when I tried to explain. I will never stay here and do not recommend this motel to anyone.

• Stayed August 2014
1 Thank GapBear
manager431, Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
During your stay, our housekeeper saw a small dog on your bed. Housekeeper reported to front desk after you had checked out. You were in our non-pet room. We charged you for having a pet in our non-pet room. Many guests are allergic to pets and because you had a pet in the room, we had to do extra cleaning of the room. When you called we informed you that we charged you because the housekeeper reported the incident to us. As a courtesy, we did remove the charge and no pet fee was charged to you after our discussion. In the future, please let us know if you are brining a pet so we can give you a pet room.

Travellers are raving about these Portland hotels

Mankato, Minnesota
Reviewed 28 July 2014

Because we travel with kids, a pool is one of the requirements of our hotels. This isn't normally a problem, but in Portland, it was pretty hard to find in our price range. The Quality Inn Downtown Convention Center was the only one near downtown that we could afford. The hotel is two blocks from the red/blue Max line that takes you downtown or to the airport. It's also near a line that can take you to the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry. The rate was super low, parking fee was nominal, and the room was exceptionally clean. Robby at the front desk was very friendly.

The pool we searched so hard for was pretty cold, even though it was billed as heated. The area isn't very pretty, but I didn't feel like it was dangerous, either. Lots of fast food restaurants nearby and a Walgreens only a short walk away. The hotel breakfast was not great and the room is tiny, but there is a Denny's across the street.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Stayed at this location found used open soap in the bathroom on the sink and hair on the counter and on the shower surround and many other issues then found out to top it off they don't even have a manager on site to talk to I will never stay there again

• Stayed July 2014
manager431, Manager at Quality Inn Downtown Convention Center, responded to this review, 28 July 2014
I am sorry that you were not happy with your stay. You stayed with us for three nights.First night prior to your check in, our housekeepr did check the room to make sure the room was clean. After check in, several hours later you came at the front desk to report the problems in the room and that you wish to check out because you were not happy with the room. Because you had booked the room thru expedia, front desk staff advised you to contact expedia so you can get your money back as they had charged you, not the hotel for your stay. We did approve the check out without any charge. You did not ask that a manager needs to be contacted and that you wanted to talk to a manager specifically regarding your issues. I am available 24 hours a day for any of my guest and front desk will call me at any time if any of my guests have issues during there stay. In the morning when I found out that you were having issues, I contacted you immediately and see if you had contacted expedia to check out. You told us that you did not want to checkout but instead wanted a free nights of stay. We had told you that we could not do that as expedia is the one that had charged your card and we did not charge anything to you and we cannot offer a free night stay for these issues. You decided to stay for the next two nights and did not have any further issue. Thank you for staying with us.
San Jose, CA
Reviewed 25 July 2014

The hotel is within a couple of blocks of the light rail, so getting to and from the airport is a breeze (and, as of this writing, only US$2.50). It's also very close to the convention center, of course. There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance, as well as a Walgreen's and a Safeway.

As for the hotel itself, what's to say except it's a standard hotel room. No in-room safe, but the wi-fi is good. Pillows and mattresses were a bit soft for my taste, but your mileage may vary.

The staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review. Yes we have the best location in town and are only two blocks from the convention center stop for the MAX light rail. We are glad that you had a pleasent stay with us and we hope to see you again on your next trip to portland.
Grants Pass, Oregon
Reviewed 23 July 2014

This hotel is so conveniently located in Portland...close to Convention Center, and the MAX light rail system which will take you almost anywhere you need to go. Hotel is clean and breakfast is really good!! Rooms have microwaves, refrigerators, flat screen tvs and hair dryers. Beds are comfy and rooms seem to be pretty soundproof. I feel pretty safe in this neighborhood, too. I used to stay here when it was a LaQuinta and then Quality Inn took over. There is an indoor pool if you have kids, too!! Best of all, it is a place you can stay near downtown Portland for $100.00 or less!! That combined with location is why I stay here!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple