“Our room was clean, the staff was very friendly”

Quality Inn Downtown Convention Center
Ranked #104 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 30 September 2009

My husband, brother and son (uses wheelchair) visited the first weekend in September. We stayed a total of 3 nights and mainly used the room for sleeping. The front desk staff was ever so pleasant. Especially the manager who was on staff. Wow! She was super energized and so nice to speak with. I need to send them a comment card about her great customer service.

We weren't expecting much for the location and cost. The rooms were clean. Thankfully, our room wasn't one where a previous guest had smoked or brought a pet. But since we were travelling with 4 other family members, each with their own room, we did find some of their rooms to be too stinky for us. The staff did change a room for one of our family members whose room stunk like cigarette smoke.

The pool was clean, but crowded with extremely noisy kids. No jacuzzi.

The free breakfast is a treat. It got crowded on Sunday and Monday morning - so running out of food was expected. That's okay, we were not there for the free breakfast. There's a Red Robin and another restaurant (and Starbucks) just across the street. Any many more fast food joints a block or two away.

Overall, we got what we paid for. A clean place to sleep, and as an extra, a great staff.

-janet

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank FamilyDA

Reviewed 30 July 2009

We stayed at the La Quinta NW for 2 nites before we left for our prebooked 2 nite stay at the Downtown La Quinta.This was like travelling 30 years back in time.What a DUMP
from the outside.It only got worse.1st room- blood splatter by our tub. Brown smear marks on our wash clothes.2nd room -clearly finger marks dragged down the wall (obviosly fecal) next to toilet.Staff was RUDE! And acted as if we were being a pain. Had to have an employee walk through the 3rd room before we moved 3 X in 10 minutes! It was noisey and when I had to walk my dog there was several shady people around.They should have PAID US to stay here.This place made my skin crawl.Bring a blacklight!!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pokersetup
Reviewed 12 July 2009

Great location, great price. It also came with a fridge, microwave, and free internet, as well as free parking. The room was over-scented with the smell of those room deodorizers, but once inside, we got used to it quickly and didn't even notice it. The free breakfast is mostly carbs and low-protein (sorry, no scrambled eggs, bacon or sausages), but you can make your own waffles! It was easy to navigate the city using the tourist map we got from the front desk, and we enjoyed our stay very much-- especially the many places there were to eat at!

There are so many eateries to choose from! Look online for good places to eat for any type of food you like. We ate a delectable Thai/Vietnamese meal at Pok-Pok, and had some surprisingly delicious to-go dishes from the numerous food-carts located on Alder and SW 10th Street in downtown Portland!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sangasong
Reviewed 13 June 2009

First, when we got there at 10:30 am on Saturday, the lady who helped us (sorry, wished I could remember names better) was kind and very, very nice. She said we could not check in yet, but we could get our tickets to the zoo (we had the zoo package). We were ok with not being able to check-in yet because we expected that. They let us keep our ice-cream in their refrigerator which was nice (we came from a rental house on the coast). We went to the zoo and didn't get back to check in until around 6:00 PM. Once again, very nice people to help us check in and made it very easy, peasy, breezy. My parents and I stayed in one room which was very nice and big (#139). However, my brother and his family stayed in a smaller room #141. He felt claustrophobic. They only had a shower and we had the full bath. I wished we could have swapped rooms with them, but we didn't think about it at the time. My parents and my brother and his wife went to the rose garden and I took the kids to the pool to play. They had a blast and it was great! Very, very nice pool area, warm water and had a great time. The Internet WI-FI and the cable TV was a hit. The breakfast was also a hit (waffles, bananas, apples, cold and hot cereal, hard boiled eggs, toast, juices, bagles). I thought the beds were comfortable and soft. But, if someone needed a harder bed, they would have been out of luck because the beds were pretty soft. But, you can't please everyone. I definitely saw the painting over old stuff and mold in the bathrooms and the old door hinges. I think La Quinta needs to gut the place and start over because it's not up to par with the La Quinta name. It's not in the best area of town, but you need to use your card to get in to any area (breakfast, pool, elevator, any outside door). My mother was sitting down in the lobby the next morning and a gentleman walked in to get a room and he was charged $70 (with AARP). We were charged $104 for our room (with the free zoo passes). Which knocks our room down to about $70, so really we actually ended up paying for the zoo, just not at the gate, which to me wasn't all that fair. So, good points - good breakfast, good beds, good pool, good customer service. Bad points - needs major renovations, some rooms way to small and not fair pricing on the rooms. Red Robin right across the street saved us after getting back from the zoo. We were starving and tired and it was nice to go there and eat an then walk across the street to our room. The MAX was only a block down the road which was nice because we took that to the zoo. Just to let people know, the zoo has the Africa area closed down for renovation. We were very, very disappointed with the zoo.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 May 2009

I travel alot and stay at hotel all the time. This hotel was great. The rooms are not new but everything was in great condition and clean. The bed was comfortable. The Climate control worked well, was on a wall thermostat, and quite. Wi-Fi was fast and reliable. The Breakfast was very good and they have a staff member maintaining and cleaning during operation. All of the staff that I talked to were very friendly and went out of their way to help me with any thing I needed. Since this is in Downtown next to the convention center I didn't need a cab or a rental car. The max cost 2.50 from the airport to the convention center stop which is two blocks from the hotel. My room did not have a tub, just a shower.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 May 2009

Unlike most of the other La Quinta's we've been in, this is an old and tired properety that La Quinta obviously took over (and shouldn't have put their name on). Dingy stairs to the elevator only portend what's coming. The rooms are as clean as they can be but they creak. Shower water temperature goes up and down. And they need a security guard at night. Also the breakfast room is desultory, plus they ran out of eggs an hour before closing on both mornings of our stay. Find someplace else.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2009

This is generally the least expensive hotel near the convention center. The hotel is an old courtyard hotel that has some paint and new furniture. It is in serious need of a complete renovation. It is not your usual new LaQuinta. They try to keep it clean and generally it is, but at the edges - where the old grout meets the crooked wall, it is impossible. People are nice, breakfast is usual. Location is good.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled with family