“Black Mold”

Motel 6 Portland Downtown
Ranked #131 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 26 May 2012

If nothing else Motel 6 has always been consistent you get what you pay for and most are decent
this Motel 6 was unbelievable we got what we paid for and more
after refusing to take the first room given to us not able to over look the fact that the bathroom door had been kicked in the door frame just hanging there by one nail the counter top surrounding the sink was cracked in half long ways the entire length and the sink was full of water
2nd room not as bad but the noise above was ridicules the office not answering the phone when called to complain we called the police our selves the 2nd and 3rd nights we asked to be put upstairs
we turned on the vent and left for a few hours returning the smell of mold was overwhelming the light in the bathroom did not work looking up it has water spots all over it like the water had run down to a point and dripped the wallpaper in the corner rippled with water behind it I looked over in the shower area and seen a piece of wallpaper sticking out low and behold black mold the blow-dryer ground fault interrupter was broken no plug on it. our keys were not turned back on after the maid cleaned our room the office not answering the door or the phone someone has to stay in our room our entire last 24 hours so we could get back in oh yes to add insult to injury the motel rents out the parking spaces in the day time so there is no parking for guest I complained to motel 6 and got an e-mail telling me they are sending a certificate to use at any motel 6 Wow really like I want to go through that again

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 13 May 2012

Where do I start? Motel 6 is so hit and miss these days and this one is definitely a miss. I felt comfortable reserving a room here since it was AAA approved in their book. Seeing the AAA plaque in the office was encouraging. The room was spacious enough. The tram noise didn't bother me as much as some people. Being on the tram line was a great plus. Patrick, who checked us in, was wonderful. Too bad he was only filling in for 2 days. The housekeepers seemed efficient, but there were places throughout the room that could have been cleaner. There was a musty smell at times. We could never figure out exactly where it came from, but we think it may have been the sheets or blankets. Even after changing them out didn't get rid of it. One of the plug ins was dangling from the wall which can be a potential fire hazard. Even the TV could have been in better shape. CNN was totally mute and with ESPN you get blasted out of your seat. Even though Motel 6 is pet friendly, this one does not allow pets in the office. I can understand that a bit because of my allergies, but we have never had that issue come up at a Motel 6. After Patrick, any interaction with the office whether it was myself or my other family member was not quite as memorable. They acted like they cared, but we're not sure if they really do. To top it all off when I returned our keycards the manager, who lives on site, looked like he just got out of bed and this was almost 10:00 in the morning. I can see it with a mom and pop place and maybe early morning, but this is not something you see at a national chain as much. I took a risk with an extended stay at a Motel 6 and it looks like it will be the last unless it looks more promising. I'll still use them for stopovers. As for Downtown Portland and near the Convention Center, I will look elsewhere for a place to stay if and when I get back down there.

Room Tip: Depending on your budget, look elsewhere to spend the night.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Rainier72
Reviewed 21 March 2012

Stayed here many times in the past because of the price and great location. We could reduce the noise of the MAX with a second floor room and ear plugs. Unfortunately the place has been going down hill fast (poor maintance) and on the last trip we found a large adult bed bug. We switched rooms but still received the customary 3 meals...3 itchy bites. We won't stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2012
1  Thank WA_Rocker
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We stayed here because of the price and it's location! Close to the convention centre if you are going for a convention (within walking distance). It's your basic older motel - slightly run down.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 January 2012

If you are looking for a luxury stay, this is not it. HOWEVER, if you are attending an event at the Oregon Convention Center and get a rate of under $60 a night, this is the place to stay. I won't bother describing the furnishings other than to say that the beds were surprisingly comfortable, the room was acceptably clean (I would recommend that you wear slippers & not walk barefoot on the carpeting), and there was plenty of hot water in the shower. The area that the motel is located in is relatively safe - I saw most of the homeless people hanging out in the downtown area west of the river. You are staying in a motel that is adjacent to the train tracks so you will hear them rumble by but it is no noisier than staying at an airport hotel. My only issue with this motel was that the weekend I stayed there with friends was cold enough that black ice formed on the parking lot and nothing was used to melt the ice - it was very slippery to walk & drive on the parking lot. I did mention this to Motel 6 in a survey so hopefully the management will stock up on de-icer before the next freeze.

Room Tip: There is no elevator so get a first floor room if you have difficulty lifting your bag. Persons eng...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 July 2011

- felt like the receptionist did not wanted to work at this motel.
- during night, everytime the MAX tram passed by the motel you can hear it quite good
- otherwise stay was ok and room clean

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank kekekeke
Reviewed 7 June 2011

I had a wonderful stay here. My only complaint is there is no washer and dryer on the premises. No laundromats in the immediate area either. It doesn't have room service, a spa, or a pool, but if these aren't important to you, you'll be fine.

Beds were big and comfy, room was very clean. The housekeeping staff was great about coming back when I asked them. I also asked for extra towels, and found them upon my return from the city.

I will definitely stay there again next trip.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends