“Cheap but gross”

Ranked #127 of 140 Hotels in Portland
Oxford, Mississippi
“Cheap but gross”
Reviewed 23 September 2012 via mobile

Chose this hotel because of its convienent location to the convention center. It was both cheap and gross. Bathroom was covered in mold and there was moss growing on the porch. Light in the bathroom never worked. Stay somewhere else.

Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Megan R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
New Westminster, Canada
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Stayed there because it was cheap and I didn't know any other hotel in Portland. I've got bed bugs bites all over me in the morning. When I asked the receptionist what was happening, he told me that those were probably "mosquitoes".
To make things worse, I carried them home with me and now I have to call pest control to eradicate them from my house.
A total disaster. Avoid this place at any cost.

Room Tip: Check for bed bugs.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
5 Thank BojanDoro
New York City, New York
Reviewed 23 August 2012

This hotel was the cheapest I could find by a fair margin. It's conveniently located (in the Rose Quarter, a short train ride from downtown, and the ride is free though that's going to change soon). It's clean and reasonably well-maintained and wifi is free.

However, it's beyond basic. The clerk is less than friendly, and refused to let me store my bags for a few hours after I checked out, which is something I tend to rely on in many hotels. There's no laundry on site; when I asked the clerk where I might find one, he said "down that road a few miles." I pointed out that I didn't have a car and couldn't just walk "a few miles" and asked if there was, perhaps, a laundromat in downtown Portland; he said there wasn't. Obviously, it turned out there was; just a quick train ride away although perfectly walkable in a pinch.

Next time, I'm definitely going to consider alternatives, though if the price is still substantially cheaper, I'd book it again; $50/night is not bad for Portland.

Room Tip: I'd prefer a top floor room, if only for the perceived safety benefit.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2012

We stopped in at the Motel 6 "Downtown" for a night on our way down to San Francisco. The reception received from the front desk was mediocre at best, and a follow up visit to inquire about nearby dining options and WIFI password left me feeling like an inconvenience. The room itself was a let down, but given the price and market it seemed like a good deal. I'm not sure why this is called "Downtown", as downtown is actually located across a bridge (the motel location would be better named "Convention Centre"). Thankfully a free train - which runs down Holladay- was able to take us downtown for an amazing meal (review to follow). However, said free train passes the hotel and is quite loud. At one point I was in the shower and wondered why the walls were shaking before realising it was the train going past. If you want a bare bones cheap out-dated slightly run-down place in a decent location with free internet for a night (I'd not recommend it for more than that), then this is a decent option. However, I'd suggest looking for a cheaper deal at a nicer place through one of the many online discount hotel booking sites first.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank MyrtletheTurtle
Central Wa
Reviewed 18 June 2012

Don’t be fooled by the cheap price ($60-$90)... This place is a dump, floor to ceiling. We stayed in room 214 which has 2 beds. The bed closest to the door was in a U shape, practically had to lie on pillows to have somewhat of a level surface. The other bed was not as bad, but the edge had metal trim that was easily felt when sitting on the edge. Of course, we pulled the mattresses up and looked for signs of bedbugs and did not see any. There are two electrical plugs in the room and they are overloaded as it is... The bedding is stained and the mattress pad had a large cigarette burn in it. We left the bedding in a pile in the corner; no way was I letting that touch me.
I pulled the bed to access one of the plugs for my laptop and noticed that the lamp cord (circa 1970) was bent with wire exposed (I left the bed pulled away from the wall so I wouldn’t burn up during the night). The microwave was a small mid-80's model that I did not use. The mini-fridge was sufficient and cold enough to store my bottled water (was NOT going to drink what came out of the faucet).
The worst was the bathroom, the 'under the counter sink' has a broken seal and has massive amounts of silicone caulking to fill the gap along with mold of various dark colors. The tub is narrow and the bathroom vent doesn’t do a thing. The walls are dirty, torn wall paper and they give you a couple bars of Motel 6 labeled soap. The whole motel room has a smell to it and all my clothes had to be washed when I got home to get that odor out.
The only positive (and negative thing) is that the motel is next to The Max and free parking. I didn’t notice the sound so much but others might be more sensitive to the rumble all night. Easy to hop on and head downtown so that saves parking fees while shopping and dining.
Figure it’s just a place to sleep and shower. Bring your own water, pillows, blankets, air-freshener and Lysol.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
Boise, Idaho
Reviewed 26 May 2012

If nothing else Motel 6 has always been consistent you get what you pay for and most are decent
this Motel 6 was unbelievable we got what we paid for and more
after refusing to take the first room given to us not able to over look the fact that the bathroom door had been kicked in the door frame just hanging there by one nail the counter top surrounding the sink was cracked in half long ways the entire length and the sink was full of water
2nd room not as bad but the noise above was ridicules the office not answering the phone when called to complain we called the police our selves the 2nd and 3rd nights we asked to be put upstairs
we turned on the vent and left for a few hours returning the smell of mold was overwhelming the light in the bathroom did not work looking up it has water spots all over it like the water had run down to a point and dripped the wallpaper in the corner rippled with water behind it I looked over in the shower area and seen a piece of wallpaper sticking out low and behold black mold the blow-dryer ground fault interrupter was broken no plug on it. our keys were not turned back on after the maid cleaned our room the office not answering the door or the phone someone has to stay in our room our entire last 24 hours so we could get back in oh yes to add insult to injury the motel rents out the parking spaces in the day time so there is no parking for guest I complained to motel 6 and got an e-mail telling me they are sending a certificate to use at any motel 6 Wow really like I want to go through that again

Room Tip: go somewhere else
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Lynnwood, Washington
Reviewed 13 May 2012

Where do I start? Motel 6 is so hit and miss these days and this one is definitely a miss. I felt comfortable reserving a room here since it was AAA approved in their book. Seeing the AAA plaque in the office was encouraging. The room was spacious enough. The tram noise didn't bother me as much as some people. Being on the tram line was a great plus. Patrick, who checked us in, was wonderful. Too bad he was only filling in for 2 days. The housekeepers seemed efficient, but there were places throughout the room that could have been cleaner. There was a musty smell at times. We could never figure out exactly where it came from, but we think it may have been the sheets or blankets. Even after changing them out didn't get rid of it. One of the plug ins was dangling from the wall which can be a potential fire hazard. Even the TV could have been in better shape. CNN was totally mute and with ESPN you get blasted out of your seat. Even though Motel 6 is pet friendly, this one does not allow pets in the office. I can understand that a bit because of my allergies, but we have never had that issue come up at a Motel 6. After Patrick, any interaction with the office whether it was myself or my other family member was not quite as memorable. They acted like they cared, but we're not sure if they really do. To top it all off when I returned our keycards the manager, who lives on site, looked like he just got out of bed and this was almost 10:00 in the morning. I can see it with a mom and pop place and maybe early morning, but this is not something you see at a national chain as much. I took a risk with an extended stay at a Motel 6 and it looks like it will be the last unless it looks more promising. I'll still use them for stopovers. As for Downtown Portland and near the Convention Center, I will look elsewhere for a place to stay if and when I get back down there.

Room Tip: Depending on your budget, look elsewhere to spend the night.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family