“Bad location for an Airport hotel but the price is right”

Holiday Inn Portland Airport (I-205)
Ranked #51 of 139 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersBronze level
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Bad location for an Airport hotel but the price is right”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

The hotel is older but updated. It has a very nice lobby with a small cafe with coffee which is nice. Then you walk down a long hall that needs some paint and updating. The room was updated but should its age. It was clean and did not have any smells like some other reviews. They do have a nice lounge on the 8 th floor with soda and a snack

My complaint is the location you seem to drive in a crazy big circle to get here and once you figure out where you are at and that you are on the back side it's to late

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
charles_holt, General Manager at Holiday Inn Portland Airport (I-205), responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you for staying with us at the Holiday Inn Portland Airport! We appreciate you taking the time to offer a review of our hotel and appreciate your compliments, as well as the constructive feedback that we will use to help us improve. While we cannot affect location, we can work with the State to access better highway signage to provide easier access to our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn, if your travels bring you to the Portland area.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Hi - I wanted to take a moment to give praise to two of the waitresses in the hotel restaurant. My company travels the country and therefore, stay at all kinds of hotels every month.

Your wait staff is one of the kindest, most accommodating that I have experienced in the last year.

Specifically, Carla and Wanda. They're top-notch, 5 stars!!

Thanks - Joe Mager (staff at REI Academy)
room 118 6/26 - 6/30/2014

Room Tip: not applicable, only stayed in one room, no issues except thin walls in bathroom
Green Features: Love this! Green Hotel. Being from Seattle, this is important to me!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Todd M, Manager at Holiday Inn Portland Airport (I-205), responded to this review, 28 June 2014
The Holiday Inn Portland Airport is always grateful when a guest takes the time to note an exceptional stay or experience. We believe exceptional guest service is a hallmark of our brand and culture and to note two people by name is wonderful. We will be sure to recognize them.
Thank you for the feedback, and we look forward to your next stay.
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

The rooms are updated but still smell musty and old. Our room was noisy and could not open a window to get fresh air. There is no refrigerator or microwave in the room. You have to rent one for 30 bucks a pop. When making our reservation we requested a fridge and we were told that we would have one. To our surprise on arriving in our room we discovered that we have no fridge. The lady said first come and they don't reserve fridge, told two different things. Will never stay here again and waste money.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Stephen C
The Holiday Inn Portland Airport apologizes to you for the inconsistent messages. We will certainly review our reservation communications to more clearly convey the correct information that every reasonable effort will be made to honor all requests, but a request is not a guarantee. We apologize that our miscommunication impacted the quality of your experience with us.
Portland, OR
Reviewed 23 June 2014

This older hotel has nice updates BUT those decorative touches don't cover up the moldy-mildew smell. We asked to check out another room but it had the same scent--OLD/mold/YUCK! We were not offered any sort of discount but they did give us a can of deodorizer. The room was clean but the smell makes you feel that it isn't. The pool and lobby were nice and did not smell. Stayed here to park and fly. The shuttle service was great, fast and friendly! Before arriving we felt the rate quoted was great. Unfortunately we will not stay here again.

Room Tip: Stay at another hotel
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Todd M, Manager at Holiday Inn Portland Airport (I-205), responded to this review, 24 June 2014
We apologize that the scent in your room was not acceptable, and yet glad to read that it was isolated and not prevalent in the hallways, lobby or other public spaces.
We are glad you were able to take advantage of the Park and Fly program, and found the complimentary shuttle service a nice benefit as well.

We hope to have another opportunity to serve you again in the future.
Reviewed 20 June 2014

My last visit at the holiday inn portland airport was a good one. The staff is incredibly friendly and very helpful. The front desk was happy to help me contact the rest of my party when our flight was delayed. They even set up a new shuttle time for us. I had breakfast and Wanda was making me laugh. We had an instant connection for our love of homemade jams. She was very sweet and attentive. I changed my order to to go and she made up a great plate for me and anticipated everything I might need. As someone who has worked in customer service for almost 15 years, I was impressed.

Room Tip: The rooms are a bit musty but the service makes up for it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
We are very gracious to read your review. It sounds as though there were a number of instances where the details of your trip could have been a big frustration but many of the great employees of the hotel helped make things better.
We will be glad to share your review throughout the hotel so the Front Desk, Bell, Kitchen and Restaurant employees receive the proper recognition.

We look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.
And, thank you for signing up at TripAdvisor to write your first review, that says a lot.
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Our group was bumped off the shuttle both inbound and outbound for airline crews. Clearly the hotel caters to that crowd first and foremost.

No reservation for me when I arrived though the other 8 in my party had theirs. Discomforting wait to resolve situation.

Trina in the small bar is an excellent employee.

Carpets in hallways need work

Train noise on one side of hotel is CRAZY loud in middle of the night

Room Tip: Ask for room away from train side of hotel!
1 Thank JSD47630
The Holiday Inn Portland Airport extends and apology. We are sorry that your arrival and check-in experiences were not as they should be. It is our standard to offer an extra shuttle service van for arriving airline crews to prevent exactly that experience. We try to balance to ensure both parties enjoy timely service.

We are delighted that you had a good experience in our dining outlets and are very fortunate to have many great employees working here.

We look forward to our next opportunity to serve you.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The hotel is right next to the freight train tracks and a busy road. To complement the constant train and traffic noise, it has old, crappy windows which provide zero sound insulation. I wouldn't stay in this place again if they pay me for that.

3 Thank Jake m
We apologize that you were not able to get a restful night sleep. We gladly make every attempt to honor requests and will also gladly change rooms, as available, if the accommodations are not well suited to your needs. Please help us make your experience better and note any requests when making a reservation or at check-in, or even after you've gotten to the room.
Thank you for helping share this important information to the traveling community.