“Nothing fancy, but very good value for the price, great for airport”

Red Lion Hotel Portland Airport
Ranked #74 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Salem, Oregon
“Nothing fancy, but very good value for the price, great for airport”
Reviewed 19 February 2014

This property is annoyingly out of the way if you're not using the airport, but if you are flying in or out (or, heck, just want to spend a lot of time at IKEA) this is a great location. Service was excellent - we had a toilet issue at midnight and someone was at our door within ten minutes to fix it; we slept in most days and housekeeping & front desk staff were more than happy to provide us with soap or coffee upon request in the afternoon.

While we did not use the shuttle to/from the airport, it ran at very frequent intervals - 20-40 minutes, if I'm not mistaken - and staff were very knowledgeable, friendly, and accommodating when scheduling seats. I witnessed a grown female guest throwing a fit and demanding to be "unchecked into" the hotel because the front desk employee discouraged the idea of taking the shuttle only 20 minutes before their flight. She helpfully suggested they take the shuttle that left an hour prior to their departure time, and the guest went ballistic. Lady, if you're that much of an idiot, no one can help you. I sincerely hope you missed your flight and got a rude comeuppance for your childish behavior.

The rooms here are nice; comfortable, clean, and relatively quiet for being so close to the airport. They come equipped with mini fridges and microwaves, which was especially helpful for us as a family. The free WiFi is FAST - perhaps the nicest perk of staying here. We did not realize how spoiled we were until we moved to our next hotel and had to deal with mind-numbingly slow internet. Beds are not heavenly, but adequate and did not cause back pain for myself or my husband, which is a big plus.

One thing I've noticed in both of my stays here is that the curtains intended to darken the room at night do not lie flush; they gap, and there are VERY bright lights in the parking lot that will disturb a sensitive sleeper. I had to set a bottle of laundry detergent on the air conditioner to keep the curtains from separating at night.

Overall, this property is a very good value for the money. (Especially if you use Priceline, which we've done on both occasions, but perhaps I'm not supposed to say that! ;) Buildings are secure with key access only, there are ice machines at decent intervals, the cable is adequate - it's a good place to catch some shut eye.

I have two minor complaints: One, it would be nice to have some laundry facilities available. This is a pretty sizeable property with no easy access to Laundromats or other businesses (except Cascade Station, which includes IKEA, Target, Best Buy and some chain restaurants.) For a family of four, a 3-day stay without laundry facilities was a stretch.

Two - and again, this is minor, but annoying - the housekeeping staff was rather aggressive on our morning of departure. They knocked on our door 30 minutes prior to checkout time, to "check that [we were] leaving", and practically stalked us out the door at the end. Yes, we were pushing it to the last minute, but it was annoying to feel watched/pressured nonetheless. I imagine this isn't an issue for anyone who checks out early to catch a flight.

Would definitely stay again. As I said, we weren't traveling at the time, just catching some R&R, and it was adequate for almost all of our needs. It would be an ideal spot for travelers.

Room Tip: Ground floor is a bit hectic, with business travelers coming and going, so 2nd floor is a bit quiete...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
Katie R, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, 22 February 2014
I'm so glad to hear you had a great stay with us. We appreciate and value your feedback! However I am sorry that my staff did not inform you we do have a laundry facility in the first building located near the Lobby. We look forward in providing you again with excellent service.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (132)
Portland
Reviewed 17 February 2014

The mattress was acceptable but could have been softer. Overall it was clean and the staff were courteous and helpful, especially when booking. The adjoining Grill, however, was a horrific experience, with not enough staff to manage the unexpected influx of travelers who were stranded due to weather. They do not do room service, but they take orders that you can pick up and take to your room. It was 7:30 PM when I called to place an order. The phone rang over 25 times before being answered. I placed my order, and was told it would take 45 min because they were ":busy" but they would all me when I could pick it up. After 1 hour, I tried 3 times to call to check the status, but no one answered the phone. I walked to the Grill to check on my order, and it stil took another 10-15 min before it came. When I got to my room, the roll had been put in the pasta container so was soaked in sauce and nasty, the tomato soup was lukewarm with congealed cheese on top, and the "hot" artichoke dip was cold and congealed. The tortilla chips were stale. No one answered the phone when I tried to call. It was now past 9PM, they stopped serving, so I could not return the 2 items that were totally inedible. The meal was over $25 and 2 of the items were inedible. My complaint at check out got a call from "Kevin" but all he did was to offer to "buy me a dinner the next time I am in Portland." If you want a meal on the premises, choose a different hotel!!!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Red Lion Hotels

VERONICA H, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, 23 February 2014
I'm glad to hear your stay here at our Hotel was good. However I am sad you had a bad experience at our Restaurant. We were short staffed due to the freak snow and ice storm, which left us with one server, one cook and our restaurant manager as bartender. This did result in delays with food since business damands overwhelemed our staff and our employees safety is very important. I apologize that it effected your stay with us. We hope to better serve you in the future.
Salem, Oregon
Reviewed 8 February 2014

Great service, easy check in and out, reliable shuttle service to and from PDX. Comfortable, clean rooms. Our flight left in the morning before breakfast, so we were each offered a bottle of water and two drinks at the adjacent lounge.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

1 Thank Sharon5012
VERONICA H, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
We appreciate your feedback and are so happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to serving you in the future!
Tacoma, Washington
Reviewed 6 February 2014

Checked into this hotel after a 20-hour travel day. I usually decline a ground-floor room, for safety reasons, and I should have done so this time. The window, facing out on a back/side parking lot was unlocked when I went into the room. Being a seasoned, solo, female-traveler, this is one of the first things I check, so locked it right away. This is a big safety issue, and windows and sliding doors should always be locked when a guest checks into a room. Got past that initial issue and was able to sleep well on the comfortable bed. The bathroom was a bit tight. Front desk service and shuttle service were very good. Didn't hear much airport noise. Would consider this hotel again because I am a member of their frequent guest program and the rate is great, but will never accept a ground floor room again, and would hope that the hotel addresses this security issue.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank laGuera
Thank you for your feedback, your safety is our number one priority and I am sorry to hear we dropped the ball and made you feel otherwise.We will definitely bring up this issue up with the staff. We are glad to hear that you did enjoy your stay overall and look foward to providing excellent service on your next visit.
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 1 February 2014

I've stayed here multiple times. It's not a destination resort and the facility is aging, but it is well maintained, the people are friendly and helpful. I leave my car parked with them for 3 weeks at a time when I travel internationally and nothing has ever been damaged. I eat at the Pacific Grille and that's a decent dinner, then I go to bed early for 4 a.m. departures. Never stayed for breakfast! Pickup and delivery is always reliable at the airport and the driver even remembers me! Desk people are friendly and there's a newspaper on the desk. Can't beat it. It's about 5 minutes to the airport. I have traveled the world internationally multiple times a year and I rely on the Red Lion

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

1 Thank garlec
VERONICA H, General Manager at Red Lion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, 25 February 2014
Thank you for being such a Loyal Red Lion Member. It is our pleasure to make your traveling needs easy and convient. We look foward to providing you with excellent service on your next visit.
uk
Reviewed 31 January 2014 via mobile

Spent one night here on 29 Jan 2014 and it was perfectly fine. Spotless bed linen and towels, microwave, fridge, TV, all in very good order. Bathroom was clean with a powerful hairdryer. Sophia on reception was very helpful, booked the free shuttle and wake up call, kept our luggage ready for the early morning trip to the airport which was literally 3 minutes ride. Lounge area with roaring fire was small but comfortable enough to sit in for while. For the price, I considered the stay very good value and would stay again without hesitation.

Stayed January 2014
Thank you so much for your feedback we strive to make every guest stay as comfortable as possible. I am so glad that Sophia took very good care of you.
Spokane, Washington
Reviewed 23 January 2014 via mobile

Poor athletic facilities, run down rooms. Windows are aluminum with bent springs sticking out. Drapes at entrance to hotel are tied back with twine. Left a $2500 oral device for sleep apnea on bathroom counter and house keeping threw it away. " would you throw away my watch or blow drier if I left it there too"? No apology or offer to compensate what so ever. The only thing this property has going for it is it's location and rate. This hotel is not in the same category as other Red Lions I have stayed at. A total dump.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business
Katie R, Front Office Manager at Red Lion Hotel Portland Airport, responded to this review, 10 February 2014
We are so sorry to hear about this experience. We would appreciate your willingness to contact our customer care team at 866-205-7222 so that we can identify the problems with your room specifically. Our housekeeping staff generally knows to stay clear of personal items in the rooms and bathrooms and nobody has any knowledge of a device that went missing. We look forward to having an opportunity to speak with you further about your visit as we strive to reach the same levels of customer service you have come to expect from Red Lion.