“Convenient, Clean Hotel”

Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
Ranked #20 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 27 August 2011

Used this hotel as part of a mini convention. Very good meeting rooms with fairly good visuals and equipment. Able to accommodate large numbers of people.
The actual hotel room was very spacious, modernized and most of all, CLEAN. Hotel staff was very pleasant and accommodating. Food was actually good for hotel style restaurants and service was also very good.
Would stay here again whether for business or vacation.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (1,570)

Reviewed 19 August 2011

We stayed at the Marriott for business and an added 2 days for leisure. The location is great, easy walking distance from everything in town, across from the river park where you can jog, sun-bathe or have food or drinks along the river or at the harbor. We were upgraded due to our Marriott status and had a room on the concierge floor, which included a good, free breakfast, hors d'oeuvres and alcoholic beverages at reasonable prices. Our room was large and had a fabulous view of the river and mount Hood in the distance. It was quiet and well maintained.
Valet service was not the best. The desk was frequently unmanned or people were standing there and just chatting. It was hit or miss if you needed a cab (or others their car back

Conference and banquet facilites were as expected for a (chain) hotel like this and the food better than expected. For business purposes i would definitely return to this Marriott (for leisure we tend to stay in boutique hotels or B&Bs)

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We arrived around 2030 and were greeted by a rude valet who felt the need to talk to my father like he was an idiot. Not everyone has experience with valet service, so not being rude would have been nice. Check-in was quick and we got to our rooms and slept. My husband, 10 month old baby and I were in room 353 and were pleased with our room until we woke up. When I went to take a shower in the morning I noticed that the shampoo was used. Weird, but not a huge deal. Then I noticed there were only two bath towels. Really? After I got out of the shower and dried off with my one bath towel and dried my hair with the hand towel I went out to see my husband's mad face. While I was in the shower our 10 month old baby had found a cigarette box under the chair and cheerios under the bed. How wonderful. I contacted Marriott when I returned home since my Mom had paid for the room and I didn't want to upset her on our vacation. Their response, thanks for the feedback. Quality service!

Reviewed 16 August 2011

I got a last minute room at this place for what was a discounted rate. I was a bit taken aback at the mandatory $30 valet parking. There are other lots nearby enough if you're really intent on avoiding this, but since I was only there for one night I sucked it up. Check in was very quick. I was given a room on the lowest floor, with a view of a dirty patio facing the street (I assume this room selection was based on the discounted price). I was woken up once or twice by loud trucks early in the morning on the street. The room was quite nice and the bed very comfortable. Lack of free wifi was annoying, the only option was $12.95 for 24 hours. I can't see this charging for access in higher end hotels lasting much longer.

The location is picturesque near the waterfront, but it's in a forest of office towers and was a bit of a hike to the bustle of downtown. There is the free streetcar available for exploring though. Overall it was worth the price I paid, but I'm not sure if it would be for the listed price.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank heliconone
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I stayed at this hotel with my two teens and one of their friends. My sister and her daughter have stayed here several times and they chose the hotel because they wanted the pool. My group of 4 had 2 queens and we were pretty comfortable. Marriott has amazing beds, I'll give them that. I was annoyed because I ordered a cot, which according to the website was available but could not be guaranteed. When I arrived they told me the cot is not an option -- it wasn't possible to put a cot in a room with 2 queens which is NOT what the website said. I feel the website should make that clear and i have written to Marriott about that.
The rooms have those ridiculous one cup coffee makers and they give you one serving of coffee each day. The first day I had to ask for 3 more. After that I bought Starbucks instant because you can't even brew your own coffee in those little pots. However housekeeping on my sister's floor gave her 2 servings every day without even asking. They also provide you with a bottle of water that costs $3.50 if you open it. Seriously, if you are going to charge for water, just don't put it in the room.
On the plus side, the kids got room service 2 nights rather late and it was quick and good and reasonably priced. We all used the pool and the gym and enjoyed that.
The beds were great, our view was off the river and decent, the location was good --its a bit more of a hike to the heart of the Pearl than i expected, but it was okay. Directly across the river --a 10 or 15 minute walk--is the JetBoat ride which i highly recommend--the two hour trip is worth every penny--even if you don't have kids and the Omni IMAX theatre is there too. And the Saturday art market is close by.

Reviewed 13 August 2011

Our room was comfortable and modern. We enjoyed the included parking and breakfast we were able to get at a special rate, but our favorite feature of this hotel was the location. Just across the street is the riverside park and it was just a short walk to the Saturday market. The hotel is a block or two from the free trolley and we used it to get around the central part of the city.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank simonthecellar
Reviewed 12 August 2011

I wanted to take the family to Portland. I heard many great things about Portland - like the shopping, great city and great food. We stayed at the Marriott Waterfront Hotel. As soon I opened the door to the hotel room I knew this wasn’t going to be good. The smell was terrible. But I thought it was just me and didn’t say anything to my family. The room was small and we asked for the city view. The view we didn’t have a view. I noticed a garbage bag on the yard with a broom. No grass just dirt... Then after a while my husband and daughter both started saying how much the room smelled. We then decided to go and check out the city. It was ok, nothing great. Very quite the food was ok. The only thing good was the shopping. We paid more than $200.00 a night to stay at this hotel. When we got back to the room my husband went to talk to the front desk he told them that we were thinking of leaving and that our room had a really bad smell. The lady at the front desk said ok but didn’t say that we can try changing the room or anything to help with the smell. I guess it didn’t matter to them. We ended up going out later that night wanted to get some shopping done because we didn’t want to stay in the room. At about 8pm the down was so quite didn’t see many people or cars on the road. So went back to the room and went to bed. We decided to check out Cannon Beach and we all love it! At the Marriott we paid for Valet parking when we got to Cannon beach my husband notice that the car had some damage on it that wasn’t there before. He wasn’t happy at all!!! Our stay at Cannon Beach was for only 1 night because everything was booked. We stayed at Seaside at Rivertide suites and the Customer Service and hotel was amazing! I would go back to Seaside but never again to Portland and never again to the Marriott Waterfront Hotel.