“Luxury only in service”

Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
Ranked #20 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 15 March 2013

I stayed here, expecting a luxury spot downtown, but I felt like I was at a chain hotel except for the service. The service was great, but you pay for it, $30 for parking.
the only thing that made this stay worth the extra cost was VIP lounge.

Room Tip: I had a room that was very small and the bathroon was tiny. This explains why there were no picture...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank timo s
Write a ReviewReviews (1,569)

Reviewed 11 March 2013

I’m not really sure why you pay more for less, but sometimes you do. The location of this hotel is terrific. Right downtown with a view of the river (if you want to pay $20 extra bucks) and walking distance to parks, the light rail/streetcar and many restaurants and theaters. So for the location this hotel is great.

But for 2 nights with parking and the view it cost about to $400 w/ tax. No breakfast is included, although you can add one for more money. Wi-Fi is $12.95. Parking is $32 a night for valet. You can stay at other hotels and get breakfast, Wi-Fi and cheaper or free parking for much less.

The service was outstanding though and the rooms are nice enough although not large and we only had 1 chair. We even had a Juliet balcony that we could squeeze onto. We also enjoyed the pool/hot tub both nights. The first night we were the only ones in there. The second night there was some moms and kids, but it wasn't too noisy for us as we sat in the hot tub. There is a large workout room as well.

Plus, we were just blocks away from the Streetcar which is a great way to get around Portland and with that and walking, we never had to drive our car until we were ready to leave.

Room Tip: If you can afford it, pick a river view room. It was fun to see the walkers/joggers in the morning...
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank plaidbagel
Reviewed 6 March 2013

I had such a great experience here for a conference recently. The food was great, the rooms were great, and the staff was particularly helpful. My co-worker actually celebrated her birthday during our stay. Not only did they give me tape to assist in decorating her door but one special staff member (Jessie) also surprised her with a tray of goodies. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 4 March 2013

I have been staying at this property 3 to 7 times a year for the last 5 years. It is in a good location for my needs. I walk from the Trimet and can walk to all of my clients offices. I really like Veritable Quandry, a restaurant just down the block. All of the rooms have a good view, are well furnished, and are well-priced for the area.
The star of the property is Terry, one of the bartenders in the lobby bar. Terry is personable, very attentive, and never lets anyone sit too long without a kind word, fresh drink or item off of the menu.
The only complaint [overstatement] I have is: before the remodel there was a casual, meeting place/sports bar. Terry used to work in this space and it was a much better place for the business traveler to go in this world of hostile travel to relax and get away for a short time from the pressures of the day.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor on the river side.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank J I
Reviewed 4 March 2013

We had tickets for a production at Keller. This hotel is within two blocks of that venue. It is also within six blocks of Higgins where we enjoyed an exceptionally nice dinner. As far as the Marriott is concerned, the hotel is rather old but has been updated and is clean and comfortable. The bathroom is very small but all facilities worked well. The bed was comfortable and we had a good nights sleep.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Tom B
Reviewed 2 March 2013

I've stayed at this Marriott every year for a meeting and always come away feeling -- great staff, great service, but some of the smallest mainstream hotel rooms I've encountered. And the bathrooms are small, too.
Was upgraded to the concierge floor, but as with most Marriotts, the lounge isn't open on weekends and you don't get any coupons to make up for that, at least at this hotel.

Room Tip: They are all very small.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank mot29
Reviewed 2 March 2013

The bed and pillows were good. Those meeting you out front were great. For a hotel this size very few amenities in the hotel. One restaurant and bar combination. Near the river but the river is across the street. A very small bathroom with no fan. Left for three and a half hours at 9 am still not cleaned when I returned. A good thing is the windows opened . Rooms were pretty small and Internet was 12.95 and not very strong and only worked in your room.Overall very average hotel and on the low side for Marriott.

Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business