“Classic Marriott Experience”

Ranked #26 of 139 Hotels in Portland
Merlin, Oregon
“Classic Marriott Experience”
Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

As with so many Marriott hotels in cities you expect great service , clean rooms and updates lobbies. The Portland Marriott downtown waterfront delivers. Nicely located right on the river you are walking distance to everything. Great views of the river and mt hood. Nice work out room and indoor pool.

Stayed November 2013
1 Thank bradniva
William S, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this review, 14 November 2013
Thank you for te wonderful review of our hotel. I will be sure to pass this on to the staff. We hope you come to visit with us again soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
  • Korean first
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I checked in with a group of 4 friends around 6pm on a Wednesday. The hotel is in a fantastic location overlooking the waterfront. The lobby is very modern and inviting. Everyone in my party had their own room and reservation at the same rate. I received a low floor room on the 5th floor (rooms start on floor 4) in a far corner of the property that had a little window on the corner that if I stuck my head out I could catch a glimpse of the water. I was disappointing in my room location. I am a silver marriott member and was surprised to find out that 2 people in my party who are not marriott reward members received rooms on higher floors (my marriott preference is high floor) and their rooms were not corner rooms but in the middle of the property fully overlooking the waterfront. The other two in my party received the same room I did. The temperature control unit on the wall is not digital but the old fashion kind making it difficult to set the temperature accurately. My room was musty and hot so I tried to turn on the AC but it didn't work. Fortunately it was a nice night so I opened the window to let some cool air in. Unfortunately because of the low room location the road noise was very loud so I eventually had to close it in order to fall asleep. I stay at a lot of marriott properties and this one was average at best for my short stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
I'm sorry to hear about the issues with your stay. Please give me a call or send me an email at your convenience - I'd like to have the opportunity to review your stay and get some more detail in order to correct these issues for our future guests.

Telephone: (503) 499-6391

Email: william.steinberger@marriott.com
Arizona
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I REALLY liked this hotel. The best part is how nice the staff treated all of us. We had a big conference there and everyone raved at how polite and professional the staff was to all of us. There is a fabulous workout room and indoor pool and Jacuzzi (which I never got to use, sadly, but checked out and its clean and nice and great handicap accessibility). Everything was good for the conference, the food and the rooms, etc. The location is also stellar because it is right along the water and easily walkable to many places. Ammenities are lovely! I think, like the others who reviewed, that it is easily a 5 star hotel for business and function. The rooms are perfect. But I didn't do 5 because it isn't a posh,elegant hotel in the sense for leisure and because I'm pretty stingy with 5 stars. But, there wasn't anything about this place I didn't like - book your event there or stay there. This would be a sweet place for kids, too. Anyway, its a 5 star that is a 4 star.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for the rave review of our hotel. We agree, the staff of our hotel is awesome and they like taking care of our guests. We hope we have the opportunity to serve you again soon!
Valley Heights, Australia
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Stayed 5 nights while attending a Conference. The service from every area of contact was wonderful.
I was new to Portland and needed directions, maps, suggestions, shopping tips - everyone I asked from bell-hop at door to the director working the lobby were extremely friendly and helpful.
Dining - always good with suggested eats and variations. Bar - open, warm, jovial and efficient.
Front desk - smiles and very accommodating with a late checkout request.
The service was a standout!
Location is fine, walking is easy into downtown or very short cab ride.
Everything else was as expected.

Without any other hotel to compare locally, I felt the room / price was a bit higher than reasonable, particularly given the additional taxes.
Would I stay again? Maybe not if it was a holiday. For a conference, yes - all that was needed.

Room Tip: Riverside rooms will have the best views.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
William S, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this review, 27 October 2013
Thank you for the great review of our staff. We pride ourselves in Hosting Brilliantly for our guests. Hosting guests is now an art-form in our business and the staff of our hotel wants to make every guest's experience a fond and memorable one. Thank you again and please come to visit with us again soon...
Colorado
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Well positioned for anything you may like, we were blessed with perfect October weather during our stay. Waterfront Park is the front yard; museums and other cultural stuff within a mile or so. Food everywhere, much of it excellent. All within easy walking distance. Be aware that bicycles rule in Portland, maybe more so than anywhere else. Pedestrians should stay alert at all times.
Hotel itself is a renovated Marriot w a really nice workout/pool facility. Equipment is mostly brand new, and lightly used.
Not the cleanest room we've ever had. One breakfast at the hotel was just OK. Could be a five-star with a little work. 5th floor room with river view was a bit noisy; traffic heats up early.
Good value, and would stay here again.

Room Tip: As high as you can get; quieter on the city side.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
William S, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to review our hotel. I'm sorry your room was not perfect for your stay. Please send me a quick note to let me know what we missed - I'd like to follow-up with our housekeeping staff. The staff of the hotel is very proud of their work and if we don't get it right, they want to know and make it right for our future guests. I'm glad you enjoyed the view and got to use our exercise room - did you go for a walk in the waterfront park or get a chance to use the pool and relax in the hot-tub? Both great ways to end a long work day or a day of play...
rochester new york
Reviewed 18 October 2013

I was here for a conference; the facilities were all very nice. what struck me the most was the front desk staff. Whenever I stopped by, or called, they were extremely polite, helpful, knowledgeable, and generally, just very responsive. One mentioned that they all served as Concierge - I think that was really true. I felt that the staff were totally at our disposal - what a pleasure!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
William S, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this review, 26 October 2013
Thank you for the great comments about our staff - a great staff does make a great hotel. I will be sure to pass on your comments to everyone. Thank you for staying with us and please visit us again soon!
Chesterfield, Missouri
Reviewed 17 October 2013

Came to this hotel for a work convention in September. No real complaints, room was fine, I had an awesome view of the riverfront from my room. I am a smoker, I know it is frowned upon in Portland, however they also seem to make it even that much harder to find a place to smoke. Out the back door, down the street, not exactly safe for someone who is not familiar with the city. How hard would it be to have someplace in front away from the doors?
The other thing is the only place to get lunch in the hotel was the bar area, food was good, prices not bad but they really need more servers if they know that they are going to be busy with convention goers.
All in all, not a bad experience, but if I visit Portland for fun this wouldn't be my choice hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Tinabear
William S, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this review, 20 October 2013
Thank you for sharing your concerns about our hotel. Smoking outside our front entrance is not allowed not only by the doors but also because of the existing roof and the proximity of vents into the building, makes it prohibitive. We're sorry to hear we would not be your hotel of choice in the future and I will be sure to pass on to the Restaurant Manager about the lack of available servers in our Bistro. The Bistro is a very popular place with our guests and the locals in our area and we need to make sure we're always staffed appropriately.