“Great Local, AMAZING Customer Service!.....except”

Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
Ranked #21 of 144 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 31 January 2014

This was my second visit to this hotel I stayed once two years ago for business enjoyed it came back again for business and pleasure with my husband decided to stay again. Arriving early in the day from an early early flight from the East Coast we were promptly greeted by a young lady at the front desk, she told us there were no suites available as I am a gold member doing the platinum challenge but she said she had a larger king-size room available right next to the concierge floor. (Wasn't really a perk considering I was only there for three days and two of those days were on a weekend when the concierge level is not open but that's okay she did her best and I appreciate the offer no matter what). The hotel is located right on the waterfront and is easily assessable to some local restaurants that are high-end dining but good nonetheless, I will do reviews of both later on but "thirst" and "VQ" were enjoyable experiences. Arriving to the room I noticed that it was a decent size king room with a balcony however it was not as big as I would have liked or expected either way it was a nice room, the next morning I went down to the front desk and I spoke to the young man who is working the front desk (had been there most of the night I think and was wearing glasses on the morning of January 26th) I do not remember his name but whoever was working that morning January 26 had glasses, we got talking about the fact that there was 300 and something check outs of the hotel and he was a little shortstaffed but he did an amazing job, he was incredibly friendly, he deserves very high accolades, and he managed to upgrade me into an executive suite for the remainder of my stay. This Marriott property is exceptional I would recommend it to anybody for both business and personal needs as it has always done me very well. The reason for my title is because there was a young lady working the concierge level on my last two nights which I believe are the night of the 26th and the night of the 27th or the night of the 27th and night of the 28 she had blonde hair and she was very very very rude. She made it very clear that we were bothering her and every time I went there to grab something she was either in the middle of cleaning something and was put off by the fact that I was actually in there why she was trying to vacuum which I didn't care but she just didn't have the traditional Marriott exceptional customer service that I would've expected. Overall great experience and I would stay there again and every time I visit Portland one of the best cities ever

Room Tip: Executive suite room 1651 has amazing views of Mount Hood the bridges over I 5, the river and a few...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Unclesogg
Write a ReviewReviews (1,533)

Reviewed 28 January 2014

Stayed here over a weekend just before Christmas 2013. Had stayed here previously for work and liked the place so much came back for leisure. Hotel is located just across the street from the river and riverfront park. Lots of good restaurants and shopping within easy walking distance. Rooms were clean and comfy. Riverside rooms have great views.

Parking and breakfast are not included in the rate and are a bit pricey. But not out of line for a downtown hotel.

Staff was very friendly and helpful. Will definitely stay here again if in the area.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hummingbird_206
Reviewed 28 January 2014

This is a beautiful hotel with exceptional costumer service. The rooms were spacious, clean, and quiet. It is my new favorite hotel in the Portland area! You won't be disappointed if you stay here!!!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Jennie P
Reviewed 27 January 2014

I booked this room 10 days in advance, online at Marriott's website and took advantage of their prepay, no cancellation rate which was fantastic! $99 plus tax for either a king or two double beds. My friend and I didn't want to have to drive home after a planned late night out on the town.

Pros - All the staff at this hotel provided an exceptional level of customer service! Upon check in, we were upgraded to a room on a higher floor which had a little step out balcony. The front desk clerk was friendly, fast and efficient. I'd requested a late check out (2 pm) when booking the room which was noted on my reservation and the clerk was happy to assist with that. Being a rewards customer does have its perks. The beds are amazingly comfortable, the towels were plush and the bath products by Thann) are excellent. The location is ideal for both locals and those from out of town. We didn't have to wait more than a minute for a taxi and you have super easy access to two main freeways.

Cons - None for me on this visit.

I enjoyed this experience so much, I'm looking for reasons to stay downtown again soon!

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the river would be worth the extra cost. The higher your floor, the less stree...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Yslandgyrl
Reviewed 26 January 2014

We stayed here as part of a college tour. The location is close to the downtown area and Portland State University. We rented a car and access is to the freeways is very easy from the hotel. The atmosphere is a little hipper than most Marriott's. The staff was universally friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 January 2014

I enjoyed my stay at Marriott, while in Portland for a midwifery conference. I ate several times at the lobby restaurant and the food was fairly good. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the location was perfect for getting around downtown and enjoying the city. My favorite touch was the fruit infused water in the lobby and I looked forward to filling my water bottle daily. I also enjoyed the courteous and prompt valet parking service. Thank you for a pleasant stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We stayed here twice in 2013 when we did not want to drive home (over an hour) after evening event and before an early morning race. Rooms are clean and comfortable. As were were not here on vacation we did not opt for a river view room but I know that they would have amazing views. Coffee and light breakfast snacks are available in the lobby every morning. Great location - easy to walk around the waterfront or jump on the street car. Rates vary drastically and can be high last minute. DO sign up for Marriott Rewards BEFORE you book. They seem to give out better rates to members and also offer AAA and other discounts. Check rates again before you travel - I have had Marriott honor a lower published rate weeks after booking the room.

Room Tip: Some rooms have views of the Willamette River. Higher level rooms will have better views regardless...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family