“Fantastic Hotel Right Across from the River”

Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
Ranked #23 of 141 Hotels in Portland
Chicago, Illinois
“Fantastic Hotel Right Across from the River”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

Great hotel, exceptional Marriott service. Attended a conference recently. Great attention to detail, nice rooms, nice view of river. Fantastic fitness center. Great restaurant and lounge. Walking distance from hotels, restaurants, etc. downtown. Very clean. Helpful staff.

Room Tip: Request high floor riverside for best views.
Green Features: Had the choice to opt out of housekeeping service for additional Marriott Rewards points. Thought that was an innovative option - especially for guests with short stays, 2 nights or so.
1 Thank travelteach92

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (404)
  • Korean first
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 4 July 2014

A business group to which I belong held a large annual meeting at this facility recently. It worked out well, with the large meeting room (ballroom) divided into smaller rooms as we split up for focus workshops. My room was pleasant. The only downside was that there were few choices for a quick lunch (although many if we'd had time to sit down and relax). I think I'd enjoy a vacation visit here, someday!

Room Tip: Higher floors have a great view (at least some of them).
Green Features: The Marriott in general is quite environmentally friendly!
1 Thank Sheila C
Fox Island, Washington, United States
Reviewed 29 June 2014

Hotel is very nice and cozy, must have been completely remodeled recently. We paid an extra $20 or so for a view room that was worth every penny. The Elevators were superfast. All Staff we encountered truly cared about us and made every effort to make our stay special. Wade at the Front Desk is a Superhero Hotel Executive that knew everything about the area. Wade had quick, accurate, humorous, and witty answers to all our questions. Hotel is close to a bunch of food trucks for a quick snack of local flavor. The indoor pool, workout room, food, and Bar were all very nice and clean. You can walk about 6 blocks East to a Liquor and convenience store if you need anything. Fantastic view of the River and Mountains. The Hotel is Two blocks from a huge Saturday Market that is also near a Portland must see VooDoo Doughnut. Voodoo has a nice selection of Vegan donuts or even ones covered in real bacon, line can be out the door and 45 minutes so don’t be in a hurry.

Room Tip: Many room face the river and there are many things to watch out the balcony.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Rod H
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 28 June 2014

I had a wonderful stay here. Everyone was so attentive to your needs. My all time favorite person was the valet, Ian. Every time I went out with my granddaughter in her stroller, he would greet us and speak with her. I walked with her each day in the park along the river and he advised me on the first day which way to go so that I could cross at a crosswalk. The third day he offered me an umbrella because it was a little overcast. He was a lifesaver because an hour later when we were walking back it started raining! Thank you Ian.

Henderson, Nevada
Reviewed 23 June 2014

What a great place to stay. We had a great view of the waterfront and park which had a lot of activity. We enjoyed a few drinks at the bar and had great service all the way around. Huge shout out to the valet crew that ran our car back and forth numerous times and knew us by name after the 2nd go around...impressive.

Hotel room was very comfortable but we did get visitors (ladybugs) from the outside sliding glass window. Didnt bother us really. Had everything we needed and it was easy to get in and out of the parking area. Close by to a lot downtown and bridges/freeways. Great hotel and would highly recommend.

Room Tip: Get the waterfront view!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
William S, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this review, 24 June 2014
Thank you for the great review of our hotel. Portland is a great city for exploring and you should come back to visit soon. The summer in Portland is magnificant and there are plenty of things to do within a quick walk from our hotel!
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Are you kidding me?
I did not stay there, I'm pretty local. I live about 40 minutes north of Portland, but I lived there in PDX for about 6 years. So last night, (The 20th of June, 2014 between 6 p.m and 9:30 p.m) some wonderful things happened at The Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront.

The bar: I met some friends there, I had not seen some of them for 25 years. The server took amazing care of our group. Thank you Laura? I hope I got that name right. Long brown hair, skinny, just a great server. Waters filled, and I ordered a soda, she kept it full for hours. We moved 3 times, she remembered all of our drinks and was ready to move tables around for us. I had a burger, my wife had ravioli. Both were great! Local ketchup and mustard, a nice touch by the way.

I stepped outside with a buddy for a smoke break. Now pay attention. We walked down closer to the road, so as not to bother anyone, and we're chatting and catching up. I look up from our conversation, and there stands the doorman. He has two bottles of water, and wants to know if we would like one. I almost fell down. What!? Of course I'll have one. Are you kidding me? That was impressive. So I'm walking back up to the hotel, and I have my cigarette butt in my hand, the doorman walks ahead and stands holding the door. I walk over to the garbage can, and he mentions since it's closer, feel free to use the valet garbage can. There are also smoking areas to the side of the building. He said it in a helpful way, not in an "I'm insulted you are a smoker" way.

So. Dear Marriott-print this, and post this review in Marriotts across the land. Because Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront just brought it. It's been brung. When it comes to impressive, amazing and outstanding-these folks hit it out of the ballpark and broke a window in the parking lot three blocks from the stadium.
Thank you amazing people, wherever you are. I hope at the end of your shift you'll sleep well you did good things today, and your boss owes you lunch.

Green Features: I was really impressed, I don't take time to go to a website and write a review usually. I really owe the thanks to the staff, or the management and the training they receive. So a very big thank you for a great dining experience.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank aaron G
William S, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Thank you Aaron for the rave review of our staff. It is the staff that makes a great hotel and we are very proud of the work we do. I'll be sure we have this posted for all of our associates to see. Thank you and I hope we have the pleasure to serve you again. Remember, the Portland Blues Festival is only two weeks away!
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed 21 June 2014

I had a waterfront room for a recent conference ($20 upcharge for that, but I agreed, since we had a very affordable conference rate. Others got it at no charge, I found out!) Beautiful views of the boats, the river and bridges, the dragon boat races and even Mt Hood on a clear day! There's a park right across the street where you can sit and watch the river traffic go by, feed the Canadian geese and people-watch. Great restaurants within walking distance, and the Saturday Market is a long stroll or short cab ride away.

Service was excellent. Lobby restaurant had one of the best Cobb salads I've ever had! Room was good-sized (I had two double beds) and the bathroom was clean, although on the smallish side. Nice small fridge in the room.

Handy and comfortable place to be on the waterfront in Portland!

Room Tip: Waterfront view with fridge!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business