“Very impressive”

Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
Ranked #20 of 146 Hotels in Portland
Reviewed 5 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here while attending a conference, very well maintained and the service was excellent. Convenient location by the waterfront and a quick walk to a lot of excellent shopping and dining. Would stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank Sara C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,554)

Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed here a couple of nights on business. I was on the 8th floor with a river view. I did love the view of the river and Mt. Hood, but part of the room was taken to accommodate balconies and views. The lobby area was very nice and staff was very helpful. Park right across the street and we'll-located for the business district.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Darren K
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We stayed at this hotel for two days over the weekend and we really appreciated its central location - its within walking distance of all the main amenities and you have the boardwalk right across the street where you can take an evening stroll or go jogging in the morning. The room was on the small side but it had all we needed and it was clean. Mind you, you're downtown, so you hear the traffic at night. The thing that really annoyed me, though, was the fact that they charged more than 60$ for parking. When I pay so much for a room, I expect parking to be included (or I at least want to be told beforehand that it is not).

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anita K
William S, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2014

Thank you for staying with us and for reviewing our hotel. Portland is a great city for people to explore and having our hotel right on the riverfront makes us a great location too! We're sorry you did not see the information for our Parking options and fees. Unfortunately, downtown real-estate comes at a premium and as a result there is typically a fee for parking. Fortunately being in Portland, our fee is much less than in other cities like Seattle and San Francisco where parking is as high as $60.00/night. We hope you'll come back to Portland again soon and if we can assist you in any way, please do not hesitate to give us a call.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

I'd really like to give this hotel 4.5 stars! I am marriott gold, but I have never been shown such courtesy in any other marriott! At check in, I was provided with maps, driving directions, etc, for any of the things I was looking to do during my stay. The hotel is clean and the views of the waterfront are great.
You must see Pedro in the concierge lounge in the evening. He is absolutely the most kind, the most friendly and helpful person I have encountered. He made sure we had extra desert and that we enjoyed our time in the lounge!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Majgen
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I attended a conference July 27-29 at the Marriott Downtown, Portland. As with other Marriott hotels the service was good and the staff friendly and helpful - no issues. This particular Marriott is an older hotel and the rooms are starting to show their age (electrical outlets, bath fixtures, etc).. My personal pet peeve with the Marriott is the additional charge for wifi which most hotels now include. On this particular trip, however, the conference provided an access code. The single biggest problem with this hotel is the traffic noise. I suspect that because we were on a conference rate we were given the worst location. Around 5:00 am we were woken with the sound of dumpster trucks and traffic - the in-room a/c compressor unit, which I assume were retrofitted after the hotel was built, was also quite loud. We asked to change rooms but the traffic noise was a major problem in our new location as well (minus the dumpsters). The hotel is situated at one end of the city making for quite a long walk to the major stores. The pool and sauna, however, are nice and I'll give them credit for that. If ever going again, though, I would opt for something more central, newer, and quieter for the same or less cost.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere but if you have to ask for a room facing the south (city, not river) side.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
William S, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2014

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel. I will be sure to pass on your positive comments regarding the staff. You may be interested to know, we will be undergoing a renovation to our guest rooms at the end of the year and will have a great new product to offer by February of 2015. Our location can be noisy at times being close to downtown, but we are far enough away that you don't get the noise of the streetcars and lightrail and many of our guests prefer the quiet that our hotel has to offer. We hope we see you again soon!

Reviewed 30 July 2014

The hotel is located close to the water and our room had a nice view, but we didn't realise that the nicer part of Portland is a bit more to the west. I would not stay in this part of Portland again. But this is not the hotel's fault. The hotel has the usual standard, but it lacks the bit of "extra" that would make up for the price. One lady at the reception was particularly unfriendly, one of the dryers was broken, the breakfast is too expensive for what it was (unlike some other commenters here I have no problem in ordering an omelett from an elderly man - I actually like the fact that people like him don't get sacked!), the valet parking is expensive (we realized too late that there are tons of parking possibilities nearby), a lot of little things here and there that just disturbed the overall impression. All in all - for sure not bad, but nothing special.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Thomas K
William S, Guest Relations Manager at Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Thomas,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We're sorry to hear the surrounding area was not what you expected. Many of our guests thrive on being close to the river with beautiful vistas from the hotel and the chance to unwind a bit in the park across the street. I have reviewed your comments with the staff at our reception desk to make sure they understand excellence in customer service - it is what makes this hotel great. In your case, it sounds as though we missed an opportunity. Thank you for telling us about the dryer, I did have our engineering department check it and we did get it repaired. Please give me a call at your convenience. I would like to get some more detail about your stay to make sure when you return to Portland, you have an excellent stay.

William S/Senior Rooms Operations Manager

Reviewed 30 July 2014

The room was great, for a hotel, it was a good fitness center. The staff was incredible. Especially Ian, who was incredibly friendly, helpful, and all around did what he could to make any aspect of my stay more pleasant.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business