“comfy bed in a tiny room”

Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
Ranked #22 of 142 Hotels in Portland
Seattle, Washington
“comfy bed in a tiny room”
Reviewed 24 October 2010

This is a decent hotel and I would recommend it if you get a good deal. I stayed during Portland Marathon weekend and I paid a premium. The bed was super comfortable but the room itself was tiny. The bathroom door barely cleared the toilet. My room was next to the elevator but it was still very quiet. The hotel could use a facelift, especially the dank pool and spa area. I ordered room service and it was terrible. Having run a marathon, I was very excited to treat myself to french fries. They arrived cold and soggy. Very disappointing. The staff was wonderful. Check in and check out was smooth. I requested restaurant recommendations from the front desk staff and all of their picks were excellent.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
  • Korean first
Eugene, OR
Reviewed 22 October 2010

I stayed here for work Sunday through Friday. The hotel location is great, staff are friendly and rooms are nice. Hotel is not cheap and it seems lame to me that you can stay at a lot of budget hotels and get free internet. To get internet in my room would be $12.95/day. There is a Starbucks across the street where it's probably free. The only thing I didn't care for was the rip off bottled water in the room. They were $6. I noticed one the bottles of water had a broken seal by a previous guest. I debated every day if I should tell the cleaning staff, and decided to let it ride on until someone else found it. Parking was something like $30/day.

Champions is the hotel bar. It was empty and lame. Beer selection was more the macro microbrews. There was a huge conference at the hotel going on and the bar was sparsely populated. Avoid.

I wanted to be in walking distance to our meeting site so parked the car free elsewhere. If it was my money, I would probably stay elsewhere.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 15 October 2010

My wife and I plus our 8month old son stayed here for a 3 day weekend last week and had a wonderful stay. Great lobby, nice amenities, and modern room. The staff were all very friendly, especially the front desk. Great breakfast buffet in the on-site restaurant for $17/person. Negatives include a $13/day charge for wireless internet and valet parking was $30/day. Also, the walls were pretty thin and we heard quite a bit of street traffic + the train at night (tricky w/ an 8month old). The room temp was also difficult to maintain as other reviewers had commented, not sure why. And like most Marriotts, I find the pillows way too soft. All in all, we would definitely recommend staying here!

Hint, there is an open parking lot RIGHT behind the hotel on Southwest 2nd street that only charges $6 for nights/weekends and a max of $16/day during the week. There's also a decent sushi restaurant across the lot called Mikas that my wife enjoyed.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Brooklyn, Ny
Reviewed 12 October 2010

I traveled to Portland for a conference and was happy to be staying at the Downtown Mariott. It suited my needs and the staff were friendly. The rooms were nothing spectacular but they were clean and comfortable. I would stay there again if I found myself in the area.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
Bend, Oregon
Reviewed 12 October 2010

Everyone we came in contact with was kind, professional, respectful, and cared about our stay! The front desk staff went out of their way to answer our questions and get us what we needed.

Location is nice, we walked everywhere, China Town, Pearl District, DownTown. It took us about a minute to per block. Save your sanity and navigate by foot, Marriott has wonderful complimentary maps of downtown Portland.

The rooms were spotless, view was great, quiet (occasional sirens from street on riverside room), comfortable bed, prompt elevators.

Cons: Expensive parking $30/night, but you find this everywhere in Portland. Pay for internet use (WiFi, Business Center- $5 per 15min).

We will definitely be returning soon for next Portland outing!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Overall this is just an OK hotel in Portland. Although it's classified as a downtown hotel, it's a bit removed from the more central downtown area near Pioneer Square. There are very few restaurants or stores near the hotel, and at night it's dark and deserted. Although it's only a fifteen minute walk from the square it seems more removed from the activity downtown.

Check-in service screwed up and assigned me a room that was dirty and unmade. They didn't offer me a room upgrade or breakfast to make up for the trouble of having to make a second trip down to reception with luggage to fix the problem.

The rooms here are small and the bathrooms are tiny. The desk was also small. The lamp, phone, and coffee maker take up a lot of space on the desk so there's little room to work.

There is no free WiFi in the rooms and parking is expensive.

The bathroom doesn't have a towel rack for hand towels which was annoying.

The walls are thin so you can hear the next door neighbors.

On the plus side, the bed was comfortable and the waterfront park is across the street.

This hotel was adequate but there are many better options in Portland.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
Vancouver
Reviewed 8 October 2010

We paid $75 on Priceline for one night at this hotel, planning to rent bicycles and use the waterfront trails nearby. We thought we had found a great deal but soon learned that the Portland Marriot Downtown offers very poor value for the dollar. How so?
1) Parking is $35 per night. Before we arrived, I phoned the reservation desk and asked if there was a public parking lot nearby with cheaper rates. I was told that the nearest public lot was 2 blocks away. In fact, right across a quiet, one-way street outside the back door of the hotel, there is a public lot that charges $6.00 per night.
2) A cold breakfast costs $15 per person according to the card on the desk in each room.
3) The standard rooms are very small. In fact, when you sit on the toilet in the bathroom, you can touch the opposite wall with your foot.
4) Wireless internet in your room costs $13. However, if you take your computer down to the lobby they let you connect for free. (This is very strange! Even Macdonalds offers free wireless internet now.)
5) After registering, I had one heavy luggage item to carry to my room from the front door where my car was temporarily parked. I asked a bellhop if I could use one of several luggage carts parked by his desk. He refused, saying that the carts were only for bellhop use in carrying customer luggage to their rooms. In other words, bellhops want tips.
Having said all this, there is nothing wrong with this hotel. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The service, if you pay extra for it, is excellent. The location is fine if you have to be downtown on business. However, when we come to Portland again, we will stay at one of the many hotels just outside the downtown area that, for the same price, offer free parking, complimentary breakfast, and free wireless internet.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple