“Nice hotel,but a little way from downtown”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland
Ranked #35 of 139 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
coquitllam,B.C.Canada
“Nice hotel,but a little way from downtown”
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Average hotel but very clean.Taxi needed to take you downtown.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (309)
Pattaya, Thailand
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Hust completed a two night stay at the Portland Doubletree. The front desk staff are among the most friendly I have encountered at any Hilton property for some time.

Overall, the hotel is very nice and the location is not a promlem as you can take the Max rail and be downtown in 5 minutes.

Breakfast buffet very good. As a gold Hhonors member I received a $7.50 credit toward the full hot buffet so the net cost was $5.50. This buffet included a made-to-order omelet.

Room was very nice, I suggest paying a little extra and get a room with a balcony. These rooms are much larger than the standard ones.

Overall, a very nice place. I would probably stay here again.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a balcony.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank Paul3456
GMSteveF, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this review, 11 October 2011
paul3456,

Pleased to hear you had 'best ever' service and a great experience at our hotel. We look forward to having you back w/ us....thanks for taking the time to post your comments!

with THANKS,
Steve Faulstick
Puyallup
Reviewed 10 October 2011

I have stayed at the doubletree several times over the last few years & always been happy with rooms & service. Chose hotel this time b/c of convenience to Lloyd center- Took my daughter & her friend school shopping (drove down from WA state). this hotel is close to anything you need- the max, Lloyd center, food & not far from downtown. Pool was too cold to swim- even after nice weather in august, it clearly isn't heated. No hot tub. Warm cookies when u arrive- although only given 1 for a party of 3. Found a coupon on line that reduced my rate by $20. Will definitely choose this hotel again.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank mhpPuyallup
Marlborough, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 October 2011

My husband & I stayed at this Double Tree location for 5 days during our stay in Portland, OR. The location of the hotel was great. It was the last (or first depending on which way you were going) FREE stop on the Light Rail in downtown. We used the light rail constantly and never had to pay a dime! The hotel itself seemed tailored to business clientele and was very modern. Our room was clean and modern. The bed was a little hard and the pillows a little flat but otherwise the room was great. There was a parking garage directly across from the hotel that was part of the hotel. I believe it cost either $12 or $18 a day. That was the only bummer about the hotel, otherwise we enjoyed our stay at this hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LisaPunk01
Boston
Reviewed 6 October 2011

The Doubletree is a large conference hotel in a good location in the Lloyd district of Portland. The MAX light rail line runs right in front of the hotel with direct connection to downtown in the Airport. If you walk around the back of the Lloyd Center Mall there is a great up and coming neighborhood with nice cafes and restaurants and some nicely renovated art deco buildings. The hotel itself has good conference facilities and a very professional and friendly staff. I was offered an "upgrade" to a larger room by the pool (which was closed since it was 55 and raining). The room was badly in need of updating - dark, dreary and worn out. I didn't see any other rooms but if that was an upgrade it doesn't bode well. The bed was reasonably comfortable and bathroom was small but adequate. The TV was of poor quality but internet service good. Overall a mixed bag, so average.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank cantjumpBoston
Temple, Texas
Reviewed 6 October 2011

Not as large as a Hilton, but still some of the Hilton perks. My king room was not available for early check in, so i took a queen bed, and they comped my $16 parking, because I had prepaid the bigger room.
Nice restaurant, close to Lloyd Center, also close to downtown. I was there for a business meeting at a downtown hotel but chose this hotel to sleep cause it was $100 cheaper. Someone mention that to my boss, ok?
Huge convention checking in as I left, but I was there midweek. Did not check out amenities, but the room was nice, the bed was comfortable, and I appreciated the check in person having the authority to comp my parking when I requested it.

Room Tip: Do be afraid of a queen sized bed if you are traveling alone. I think they get less use, and might...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Seattle, WA
Reviewed 4 October 2011

I stayed at this property during Labor Day weekend and had the worst time ever! I was traveling with my 6 month old baby and hoped to have a relaxing getaway. When I arrived and checked in, I was told that I would be staying in one of their "Executive Suites." However, these suites can only be assessed by taking stairs and this was a huge inconvenience since I wanted to be able to put my baby in her stroller to get around. I ended up having to carry her and the stroller separately up and down the stairs and then put her in. The employee at the front desk did help me carry things when I first checked in but after that I was on my own.

Now, let's get to the room. I think calling it an "Executive Suite" is a bit of a stretch. The room was in the basement of the hotel and looked like something out of 1977. Everything was outdated except for the flat screen TV. Additionally, the room wasn't cleaned properly. The bathroom had dirty specks in the tub and on the toilet seat. And there were crumbs on the computer desk and kitchen table. Additionally, I happened to look under the bed after I dropped the television remote and noticed used, balled-up tissue. Disgusting. At that point, I was dog tired and my baby was already asleep so I waited until the morning to call and complain.

The next day I called the front desk and explained the cleanliness problem with the room. I received an apology and a free breakfast voucher and was asked what time I would like the maid to clean my room. I told them 11 AM and I made sure the baby and I were out of the room well in advance. We went and had breakfast and did a little shopping at the mall across the street and came back to the room at 2 PM. The room hadn't been touched and I didn't have a do not disturb sign up. I called the front desk again and received another apology. My baby needed to take a nap so I told them to come clean the room at 3:30 PM. At about 3:25 PM, I was rushing to get out of the room on time and when I opened the door, I noticed a stack of towels and 2 water bottles on the floor, as if the maid had decided my room wasn't going to get cleaned at all that day. I was furious! I called the front desk AGAIN, and the employee tried to blame me by asking did I have my "do not disturb sign up". I told her that it was taken down by 3:25 and that the appointment was for 3:30! The employee gave some halfhearted apology and said she would send the maid immediately.

My baby and I went out again and returned to the room later that evening. The room was still not very clean. The tissue under the bed was still there and now a used child's band-aid had magically appeared on the living room floor (not far from where my baby was playing & no it was not her band-aid). Additionally, the maid didn't even bother to fold up the ironing board. Despite all of this, I decided to try to enjoy the trip the best I could. However, on my last night there, I noticed a huge, disgusting moth near the bed. I killed it and then noticed another one on the other side of the bed! Disgusting!! I called the front desk and complained and again they tried to blame me and ask if I had opened the screen door. I informed them that I hadn't opened the screen door all weekend! I received another halfhearted apology and was told that the manager would contact me the next day. Well, do you think the manager said a peep? NOPE.

On top of my horrible experience with the room I had to deal with the parking lot elevator being out of order. I was with my baby and needing to use a stroller to get around so we had to walk all the way around the lot, level by level, since the elevator was out of order all weekend. Honestly, this was the worst experience ever. The only good thing I can say about this hotel is that I enjoyed the service by the restaurant and room-service waiters. I'm not a picky traveler but I expect a clean room and a hotel to stand by their word when I'm spending my precious money. There's obviously some communication issues between housekeeping and the front desk.

Lesson learned: I will NEVER stay at this hotel again!

Room Tip: Don't stay in the executive suites. They are a joke.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank Fire_n_Desire
TGoldmanDoubleTree, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this review, 6 October 2011
Thank you for your very detailed response. As the hotel manager I am deeply disappointed in the experience we provided you at our hotel and would like to speak with you directly about your multiple concerns. Please email me at tgoldman@portlanddoubletree.com or contact me via my direct line at 503-331-4993.

I look forward to connecting with you at your earliest convenience and again thank you for sharing your concerns.

Kind regards,