“Not family friendly”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Seattle
“Not family friendly”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This truely is a hotel for conventions and business travelers. The hotel is a little off the beaten path but transit system makes up for the the location. It is a huge facility so it can get crazy with all the different groups in the hotel. A little better then average but the staff was great. NW Friends

Room Tip: Ask if there are any kids on your floor without there parents - leadership convention.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (311)
Newport
Reviewed 19 April 2012

This hotel does such a great job with accommodating student, teacher adviser, and guest speaker needs, which are many. Thanks!

Room Tip: Suites have TVs in both the bedroom and outer sitting area.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
GMSteveF, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this review, 22 April 2012
Pamela, thanks for the great review......and glad to hear the team took such great care of you! We hope to see you again soon.

With THANKS,
Steve Faulstick
Akron, Ohio
Reviewed 14 April 2012

I had a quick stay here a weeks ago. The rooms were very nice and the hotel grounds were clean. The hotel is located downtown near numerous attractions.

During my stay, the toilet kept breaking. I knew what was wrong and kept fixing it myself even after I complained about it. Well, the hotel paid for half my room one night. The 2nd night the hotel forgot to give me a wake call. Once or twice a year this happens and it really stinks. Truly it is one of the most simple but important things a hotel can perform for a guest. Again, the Manager made up for it by buying me dinner at the hotel.

Yes, I had some problems during my stay. The Manager tried their best to make up for the problems I encountered.

Room Tip: A working toilet
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 12 April 2012

2 nights at the hotel good location, staff very friendly and helpful, English lady at the desk upon check in very helpful and efficient as well as the bell desk team. Busy hotel, older style but clean. Used the light rail to get downtown which was handy. Breakfast was good each morning. Missed placed one of my breakfast vouchers on day of departure and had to pay $ 5 for a new one which I thought was a bit odd..

Will stay again when visiting Portland..

Easy access to and from I-5

Room Tip: Pay extra for a higher floor
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
Victoria
Reviewed 11 April 2012

This place was decent, we wanted something close to downtown but not right in it. About 100m from the front door < to the Max Line (light rail) and on the edge of the no fare zone so you can hop on the train and be downtown in a matter of minutes for free! It is across the street from the Lloyd Center which is a very large mall. The room was decent, very comfy bed. The bathrooms didn`t match the rest of the decor in the room and hotel which I found odd, everything else seemed to be updated except the bathrooms. Despite being dated they were still reasonably clean and pleasant - I am very fussy and grossed out easily by hotel bathrooms and wasn`t overly bothered by it! The staff was very friendly, there is a small coffee shop and a lounge right at the bottom of the elevator which is convenient, the coffee shop was open quite early and was reasonably priced which was appreciated. The lounge served some unique interesting beers and was a nice air conditioned stop on the way in from 39 C heat. I would recommend this hotel if you are looking for good clean nice hotel with great value and are not expecting a swanky downtown experience. I am generally a 4 star or better kind of hotel person and booked this very last minute, needed some cheap but decent, and can confidently say that we enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KandJ123
Las Vegas, Nevada
Reviewed 10 April 2012

Check-in and out process were fast and friendly. No line waiting.

When my boyfriend and I inquired information for the parking fee upon check-in, we were told that there would be a $9 charge per day.

However, when we did get a rental car the next day and inquired for the parking information again, a front desk clerk offered us a courtesy for free parking during the rest of our stay at their hotel. Me and my boyfriend were flattered and impressed.

Our 1 Queen Bed room is small but clean. No bathtub, not sure about other room types.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
alaska
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Stayed here a couple nights, in March, and had a pleasant stay. We walked over to the Lloyd Center shopping mall. Walk a block and you are entering the mall near Macy's. We stopped and watched ice skaters at the mall's ice rink. There are 3 levels of shopping with about 150 stores. Make sure to wear comfortable shoes. We also used Portland's nice light rail system to attend a Trail Blazers basketball game. We walked about a block from the hotel and hopped on the light rail, for free, and it stopped right in front of Rose Garden.
We had 2 queen beds that were very comfortable. The tv was a smaller size flat screen with 30 or more channels. When I checked in I had requested a room that was not located by elevators, vending machines, employee breakrooms, etc..We were placed on the 10th floor and all was quiet and perfect. Until, when we went to bed, you could hear a low rumbling noise...the light rail. I am a light sleeper, remember my requests? I guess that is part of living in a big city. This low rumbling was not a real big deal, because I slept through the night. The houskeeping person that did our room was ok. Little things were forgotten: new ice bucket plastic bag, replacement soap (went to front desk and was given extra), a dirty towel left on toilet tank. No free wifi. Parking expensive during weekday, $18.00 self park, and $9.00 weekend. I noticed, as I was walking to the mall, that you can pay for public parking. Monday-Saturday 8am(?)-6pm pay by the hour. After 6pm, and all day Sunday, public parking is free. Maybe, your spouse can get up early and feed the meter?
I would stay at this hotel, again.

Room Tip: Rooms that don't face light rail tracks might be less noisy.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
GMSteveF, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this review, 3 April 2012
Dear ak747gal,

Thank you for your very thorough review!

I apologize for the little things missed by our housekeeping team. Guests should expect those are taken care of. I've already shared your comments with the team to make sure they understand expectations through the customer's eyes.

While we do offer spectacular access to the city's lightrail system, a few rooms at the end of our hallways do face the track. It runs from 4:30AM-midnight and you can hear the low rumbling mentioned....(any other guests can ask far away rooms to ensure a restful night, )

As a senior reviewer, I appreciate your insight, and the time taken to share your experience with other travelers. I look forward to the opportunity to share our hospitality with you again!

with THANKS,