“Big place, close to Lloyd Center, MAX, and Convention center”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland
Ranked #37 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 13 December 2012

Friendly staff, clean accommodations. Great salmon chowder in the restaurant. Couldn't get my room to cool off enough the first night though and the fan seemed to make it worse. The second night I left the fan off and it was actually a little better (cooler). Conference room for business meeting was dark and old.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled on business
Write a ReviewReviews (2,108)

Reviewed 10 December 2012

Stayed here for two nights in December, 2012. Our request for an upper floor was granted (we were on the 11th floor) and had a beautiful view of downtown Portland. We could see 4 bridges, the Amtrak station, and alot of the downtown Portland skyline from there. It's also right on the MAX line and two blocks from the Portland streetcar, which means you can park your car and forget it as Portland is extremely transit-friendly.

The room could have used a small refrigerator and microwave as it's certainly big enough, and the coffee maker only made very weak coffee (we just went to Starbucks across the street in Lloyd Center, so that was no problem), but otherwise the stay was delightful.

The room was clean, the staff were nice and even let us stay an extra hour before checkout, and access in and out of the attached parking garage was easy.

It was a wonderful stay and really have no complaints about this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Allie_A
Reviewed 7 December 2012 via mobile

Pros: Great location (Lloyd Center is across the street), staff was wonderful (Sara in particular), comfy bed and pillows

Cons: The carpet in my room was dirty/smelly, I didn't sniff the floor per se but there was an odd odor from the floor and the bottom of feet was always dirty from walking on the carpet so I spread towels throughout the floor which made it better lol.

My room location was kinda cruddy because I had a view of the parking garage and I ALWAYS heard the Max running, it was annoying the 1st few hours, but oddly enough I got used to it. However I don't think most people would like that noise.

Not sure if I would stay here again, but at least the staff were kind and the beds were comfy :)

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 6 December 2012

Ride the light rail from the Portland airport directly to the Lloyd Center station which is right across the street from the DoubleTree. For tax-free shopping, the mall stores are half a block away! No need to rent a car because some wonderful restaurants are also nearby. We also took in a movie...two theaters within minutes of the hotel. Very good service, nicely-maintained hotel and good breakfast buffet. All in all, we could not have asked for a better weekend experience, and the price was more than reasonable. We're sure to return :-)

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 December 2012 via mobile

I had the best stay in Portland here and I expect this to be the hotel I'll revisit in the area.
Location was great. Walking distance to the mall and restaurants. Stayed on the top floor and had great dual window view of the city.
Fitness center was excellent.
Breakfast buffet was excellent. Plenty of options for picky eaters/dieters.
The staff was very helpful.
Fruit and water in the lobby area/floor - just a very nice touch.
Self parking was available I think $18. Not unreasonable for the location.

I've stayed at other hotels in the area and I found this to be the best considering the rate, location and overall bargain. Highly recommend.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed 6 December 2012

I stayed here for just one night, and it was a relaxing, peaceful experience. I will continue to stay at doubletree Hilton. It's the type of service that makes me want to keep coming back. I have stayed at plenty of doubletrees, but this one takes the cake because its right next to a shopping mall and the max that will take u downtown free.

• Stayed: October 2012
GMSteveF, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this reviewResponded 7 December 2012

Dear Alexis,
thanks for your 'Amazing' review! I'm pleased you had a great, although short, experience, and our team took great care of you!

We hope to see you on your next visit to Portland!

with THANKS,
Steve Faulstick

Reviewed 24 November 2012

I stayed here for a night, and upon check-in, I was offered an upgrade to a presidential suite as a Gold member. The suite was great -- with a large living room and fairly sizable bedroom, and a bathroom with a hot tub and shower. The carpet seemed a little worn, but was still kept in decent shape and everything was clean and reasonable. I also received breakfast at the hotel restaurant, and the staff there were very friendly, welcoming, and gave quick service... so quick that everything was cleared away while I went to go get another plate from the buffet. But upon noticing me return to the table, they were equally as quick to get me new silverware and orange juice, so no big deal.

The location is right across the street from a MAX light rail stop, so it's easy to get to from the airport, and the light rail will get you to most places within Portland. It's also across the street from Lloyd Center, which is a gigantic mall. They also have one of those monitors in the front lobby that says when the next trains are coming, so you don't have to wait outside -- which is helpful in the rainy Pacific northwest. A small touch, but a nice one at that!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo