“Great hotel, great location”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland
Ranked #35 of 141 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great hotel, great location”
Reviewed 24 September 2013

Our first trip to Portland was a good experience with help of the Doubletree! Everyone was helpful and so friendly. We had a beautiful view of the city in a room with a balcony. There was some construction going on but we found it quite interesting to watch.

We used the fantastic public transit the whole time and having the train station across the street made staying here flawless! We went all over the city and met friends in Beaverton easily on the train.

We will be back and will definitely stay at the Doubletree.

• Stayed August 2013
TerryGoldman, Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Portland, responded to this review, 25 September 2013
daisydum,

Thank you for your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Portland and positive review here on TripAdvisor. I am glad to read you enjoyed your stay with us, including the view of the city.

I do agree the construction project nearby has been interesting to watch. We are very excited about our new neighbor and can't wait to see the improvements the high end residential units and additional retail space will bring to our neighborhood.

I am thrilled to read you will definitely be back and thank you for the recommendation. Please let me know when you plan to return and I will be very happy to assist with any future reservations.

tgoldman@portlanddoubletree.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (313)
Reviewed 23 September 2013 via mobile

We were so shocked to open our room on the third floor to a roach darting for cover. After killing that one, it's friend was in the sink!!! The manager came to the room and said that they did use pest control. Since we had prepaid on Hotwire - no options to move at 10 pm. Although they were nice and moved us to the 6 th floor and gave us free breakfast tickets at $14 each, my family slept all night with the lights on- creeped out the whole time!! Yuck we won't be back!!

• Stayed September 2013
Splash2016,

I am so sorry to read about your experience at our facility. I want to do what I can to make this up to you and your family. I will admit this is a new report I have not received about our property before, and am so sorry it was your experience.

We are taking this very seriously and working to make sure there is no re-occurrence. Please see the direct message I sent you. I look forward to hearing back from you at your convenience.

My sincere apologies again,

Sunshine Coast, Australia
Reviewed 23 September 2013

The hotel was easy to find and was nicely furnished and clean with friendly, helpful staff. The warm cookie at check-in did it for me. There was secure parking too which made me feel safe about parking there. The location wasn't that great being next to a construction workplace and being further from a lot of attractions. Although it was close to the lightrails which is only a couple minutes to downtown and the Lloyd Centre. It was also within walking distance to some great places to eat on NE Broadway Street. It would have been great if there was a mini fridge in the room too.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
roxyroseviv1503,

Thank you for your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Portland. I appreciate you taking the time to share your experience here on TripAdvisor. Our Warm DoubleTree Chocolate Chip Cookies with walnuts are a great way to start any stay and a favorite for sure.

Thanks for your comments about the nearby construction. We are very excited about the high end residential units and additional retail space that will be a welcome addition to our neighborhood. It has been fun to watch the progress they make each day.

Please let me know when you plan to be back in the Portland area and I will be glad to assist in making reservations, including requesting a mini-fridge and microwave for your room.

Petaluma, United States
Reviewed 23 September 2013

It's a bit of an older facility, but they've done a great job updating the rooms, lobby and bar/restaurant. The food in the bar is delicious and the people are super friendly. The breakfast is always good. I love that they always have a huge variety of fresh fruit. It's not the greatest location, but the mall is right across the street and downtown Portland is a MAX ride away. The stop is right outside the hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Christine P,

Thank you for your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Portland and positive review here on TripAdvisor. I am so glad to read you had a positive experience and enjoyed our tasty food and the service from our staff.

On behalf of our entire staff, thank you for your business. We do hope you have you stay with us again soon. Please let me know if I may assist with any future reservations.

Lafayette, California, United States
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

The Lloyd Center Doubletree, with its big, clean nicely decorated rooms and warm cookie is definitely better than your average hotel. But there are some drawbacks. The location, next to a suburban style enclosed mall and a couple miles from downtown, is not all that great. Unless you're interested in going to the multiplex next door, there's not a lot to do around here at night without driving somewhere. The architecture feels like a throwback from the 1970s and the wireless Internet did not work very well. The breakfast buffet, however, was very good and it was free, but that may have only been because I am an HHonors member.

The price, at $180 all in, felt steep for what you get.

• Stayed September 2013
Stephen F,

Thank you for your recent stay at our hotel and for taking the time to share your experience here on TripAdvisor. I do hope you will stay with us again and I would be thrilled to share with you all the terrific things you can experience within a short distance from the hotel. You are a correct there is often a bit of travel involved, but with light rail, streetcar or cabs you can get just about anywhere in the city in a few short minutes. Some of Portland most popular eateries, including Portland's Top Rated Restaurant according to TripAdvisor, are very close to the hotel.

On behalf of our entire staff, thank you for your business and I do hope to be hearing from you soon to book a future stay.

Phoenix
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I attended a conference in Portland this week. When I checked I found that the Hotels Downtown were either full or priced in low interstellar orbit. So the Doubletree at Lloyd Center seemed like a great option.

It may be reached directly from Portland's wonderful MAX light rail and resides on the Red line which originates in the airport. Fare from the airport is $2.50.

Checked into the hotel and found the room and public spaces to be a little tired. Carpets in the halls were frayed etc. Also was a little put off wall mounted dispensers for shampoo etc. Seems like something you'd see in a low end budget motel.

Although an elite HHonors member when there was no itemized bill under the door. When I asked for one they stressed I'd get one via e-mail. I said I'd prefer a hard copy. Good thing I asked as the rate was incorrect (higher). I asked why and was told that (without asking me) they had "upgraded" me to a higher priced room. Since I a print out of my original reservation they (after a little consternation) corrected the bill. Since they had already billed my card they told me the correction might take 7-10 days.

Staff overall was friendly and helpful. Enjoyed three terrific breakfasts in the restaurant. The hotel is three blocks from the convention center and the trailblazers stadium. It is a short trip by light rail anywhere downtown, the Amtrak train station, or on to Hillsboro or Beaverton.

I would stay here again. But I am hopeful they refresh the place and lose all that 1980's era dark colors and furniture.

Room Tip: Higher floors offer views and less road/rail noise.
Green Features: Just the Typical stuff. Low flow fixtures, recycle bins and "reuse the sheets/towel" program. Nothing extraordinary.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
ArizonaArchitect,

Thank you for your recent stay with us and taking the time to share your experience here on TripAdvisor. I appreciate your comments and will be sure to share them with ownership as they prepare to make decisions about capital investment in the property for the next calendar year.

I did want to mention the bulk amenities we have in the hotel are only on select floors in the building and are designed as a green initiative to help reduce the waste that is produced by the thousands and thousands of small bottles hotels use for shampoo, conditioner and body wash each year. Unfortunately the size of the bottles makes it difficult to find a company that is willing to recycle them and bulk dispensers are a way of reducing the waste.

I do apologize about the billing error and the hassle you received about getting a hard copy of your bill. Thank you for allowing us the opportunity to fix it.

On behalf of our entire team, thank you for your business. We do appreciate it and are grateful to have had the opportunity to serve you. Please let me know if your travels bring you back our way and I would be honored to assist with making future reservations.

NEW LONDON
Reviewed 19 September 2013

Great Location, Great Service, Warm Cookie, Whats not to like? Mall, Movies, Mass Transit, with in walking distance.(1/2 Block) Great starting point for your trip to Portland- the other 200 characters can only be considered filler for review purposes only

• Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

ElgatoBaldez,

Thank you for your recent stay at the DoubleTree by Hilton Portland and great review here on TripAdvisor. I am so glad to read you had a great experience with us.

On behalf of our entire team, we appreciate your business and look forward to welcoming you back, warm DoubleTree Chocolate Chip Cookie and all, very soon.