“Girl's Getaway Made Better by Hotel Staff”

Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 April 2012

My girlfriends and I planned to see Wicked in Portland and frankly picked RiverPlace Hotel because it was close to the venue and it was part of Kimpton Hotels. After making reservations, I was contacted by hotel staff by email to see if I needed anything special and also to advise me of a city event taking place on Sunday with road closures that could hinder our departure. Front desk and valet staff were very friendly upon check in and we were welcomed to our room with a great bottle of Oregon Pinot Noir and a box of Moonstruck chocolates. We stayed in the one bedroom residential suite and were very comfortable. The hotel staff suggested restaurants that delivered and Andrew, one of the valet staff, was so pleasant every time we rang to get the car. The location is perfect, staff great and beds uber comfortable. I'll stay here again.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the residential suite - full kitchen let us cut costs and eat breakfast and lunch in so we...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Ryan K, Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Sounds like a great girls getaway. Catching Wicked at the Keller, which is just a short walk away and then heading back to the comfort of the RiverPlace. AHHH now that sounds nice!

There are newer reviews for Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel

Reviewed 5 April 2012

The Riverplace had just been bought from Larkspur by Kimpton when I stayed there and they hadn't yet implemented the good fish or yoga mats. They offer apples and cookies in the lobby and have the most gracious staff of any hotel I have stayed in.

We had originally booked the parlor suite and one of the large tvs wouldn't turn on so we called the front desk who immediately sent maintenance to fix it. After working on the tv for almost an hour the maintenance man dropped the tv on the ground. Before we could even ask to be moved the front desk called and offered us the choice of the Grand Suite or an apartment style room in the condo adjacent to the main hotel.

We chose the Grand Suite, which is by far the nicest room in the hotel. It features an elaborate bathroom with dual vanities and a raised 2 person jetted tub, a view of the Willamette from every room and a dining room with seating for 12. They even include binoculars!

There is no on site fitness center so they offer free passes to the Riverplace Athletic Club a block away where spa services are also available. I was very impressed by the athletic club and spa, far better equipped than any hotel gym.

Late checkout was easily accommodated and they even held our bags until we departed from Portland that evening.

Cons? The location is scenic but a bit of a hike from downtown and the prices are pretty steep (I believe I paid just shy of $400 for our single night stay).

Room Tip: The best views are from the top floor looking north to northeast
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Ryan K, Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2012

So sorry to hear about the TV issues you experienced. I am so glad that the staff was able to upgrade you to the grand suite for the inconvenience. Yoga mats and goldfish are back by the way! We even start a free yoga class each Saturday at 8:30AM starting in May. See you soon.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

We loved our stay at the Riverplace Hotel in Portland. The entire staff were wonderful and we felt very comfortable and welcome.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2012

My wife and I stayed at the hotel on our recent 4 night stay in Portland. The location of the hotel is nice, the food in the hotel restaurant was pretty good, including the breakfast that had some inventive dishes. We arrived early to the hotel on a Sunday with the thought that we could just drop off our bags and explore the city, but when we asked, they accommodated us with an early check-in (10:00am).

The one thing that stood out to us more than anything else though was the service. Everyone was beyond friendly and helpful, and we didn't run across anyone who wasn't giving their best effort to provide us with exceptional service. This included the front desk, the concierge, housekeeping, the waitstaff... everyone. Top notch...

If there are any complaints, it's that the courtyard view isn't much of a view at all. If I had to do it over, we'd probably want a city or river view. But the room was nice, modern, clean... the bed was comfortable. Overall very good hotel...

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Ryan K, Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

It’s great to hear that everyone was on top of their game. Now we just need to get you and your wife back here to enjoy that riverview!

Reviewed 30 March 2012

This is an exceptional property! I was in contact with Courtney before my stay, and she assured me that my early arrival would not be a problem. When I arrived (even earlier than I'd anticipated) Jacque welcomed me at the front desk and put me into an upgraded suite immediately! She was friendly and helpful, and I was able to also book an airport van for the next day before I made my way up to my room. It overlooked the courtyard, and it was very spacious and comfortable. On top of all of that, the wonderful rate that I booked online included $25 in dining room credit and $10 in the minibar. Add to that, free internet access, and it was an exceptional deal all around! I would definitely recommend this hotel; every Kimpton that I've experienced has a wonderful level of service and friendliness, and this property was no exception!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 March 2012

I have never stayed at a hotel where I was treated so well and so friendly. The service was top notch in every respect. I am not sure there is a better word tha excellent to rate this hotel and their staff but, if there was, I would certainly apply it to this hotel and our stay.

Room Tip: All of the rooms are very nice but the ones that overlook the river are special as are their King Su...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Ryan K, Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Oh don’t worry, we will take the word “excellent” to describe our style of service!! Thank you so much for your wonderful comments about our staff.

Reviewed 30 March 2012

We had a great time here. Friendly, helpful staff, beautiful room and very close to downtown. Very fanily friendly.

Room Tip: River view is worth it!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family