“We had a great stay at RiverPlace Hotel.”

Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 6 April 2012

This was our first visit to Portland, Oregon and we had no idea where to stay. After searching for a hotel online and reading multiple reviews, I decided that RiverPlace Hotel seemed to be the best fit for me, my husband and 7-year old daughter. It was a bit on the pricey side, but it was definitely worth it. The room was nice, clean and the bed was very comfortable. All of the staff that we met were extremely friendly. We ordered room service everyday. The food arrived quickly, and was delicious and reasonably priced. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: March 2012

Reviewed 6 April 2012

My mom, sister & I get together each year to celebrate our birthdays & experience a 'girlie makeover' weekend in the 'big city' or Portland, OR. This gives us an excuse to get our hair done at a local salon, as well as spend quality time just hanging out and catching up on our busy lives. We travel from Seattle, WA and Corvallis, OR and have varying experience with staying at luxorious hotels. This year we decided to change up where we stayed and chose the Riverplace Hotel, which is a prime spot nestled by downtown Portland and has a spectacular view of the Willamette River. We chose the RiverPlace Hotel based on my previous stays there and because I knew it would provide us all with the right balance of feeling completely comfortable and at home coupled with excellent service & feeling absolutely spoiled. We were not disappointed and I would say our stay far exceeded my expectations.

Why was I pleasantly surprised?

I made the reservations online for a jr. suite river view room and made a comment that it was a special weekend for my mom, sister & I & anything the hotel could do to acknowledge that would be super appreciated. Did I truly think anyone would pay attention to my request? Of course not, but they did and then some. To acknowledged our special weekend by:
A) Giving a complimentary bottle of wine
B) Giving us 2 complimentary boxes of amazing chocolates
C) Giving us a handwritten card wishing us all a great stay & Happy Birthday

Who does that? For real. It's a rare thing to add that personal touch, especially for an impersonal request made on an online reservation.

Not only that, but because I'm a rewards member I received an email a few days prior to our stay that contained the most awesome upgrades to amazing suites for very reasonable prices. I upgraded us to a Grand suite room that was larger than most of the apartments I've lived in for only $85. The fact that we were greeted to the wine, chocolates & personal card in the upgraded room & not the room I booked scored major points.

Oh - did I mention between 5-6pm on the Friday we checked in they have free glasses of wine served in the lobby? BONUS! AND, when we were craving a late night meal, even though their room service menu changed at 11pm...they called us back & one of their guest service representatives named Dan (& whom we called 'Dan the man') made sure we got what we wanted & ran up a menu & contact info to a local pizza delivery place. Who does that? They had nothing to gain from it. AND, the 3 Degrees restaurant/bar is the perfect place to eat & grab a festive beverage, whatever your preference. It won't disappoint!

Every minute of our brief 24 stay was BEYOND BELIEF! I will think of the RiverPlace first for any visit to Portland because of the excellent service and personal touches they showed 3 normal ladies of various ages that one night. I highly recommend you staying there too & making it a place to top off an amazing celebration or memory. You won't be disappointed!

Room Tip: I've stayed in their courtyard and river view rooms & loved both. Sign up for the rewards pr...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Ryan K, Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 April 2012

Wow! So it sounds like the ladies getaway was a huge success, thanks to the staff’s warm welcome and that awesome grand suite you upgraded too. Dan the man just loves his new nickname by the way. We will see you ladies for your next get-together. Thanks for the review.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

This hotel is beautiful, in a great location, and filled with staff who can't do enough to make it a great stay. Everyone was incredibly helpful and friendly, and we really loved the spaces. We originally booked for four nights of "play" and then were planning to move to the hotel where our conference was being held. The night before we were to make the switch, I actually couldn't bear the thought of leaving, so we canceled elsewhere and extended at RiverPlace. I have stayed in fancier hotels, and certainly more expensive hotels, but I do not think I've ever stayed somewhere where the hotel and its fabulous staff become so much a part of what made the trip memorable.

Room Tip: We had a standard king room (which they call Deluxe) and it was so spacious! It had an amazing bed...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IleneM386

“Refused to Leave” has to be in my top review titles of all time! What great feedback, thank you.

Reviewed 5 April 2012

My girlfriends and I planned to see Wicked in Portland and frankly picked RiverPlace Hotel because it was close to the venue and it was part of Kimpton Hotels. After making reservations, I was contacted by hotel staff by email to see if I needed anything special and also to advise me of a city event taking place on Sunday with road closures that could hinder our departure. Front desk and valet staff were very friendly upon check in and we were welcomed to our room with a great bottle of Oregon Pinot Noir and a box of Moonstruck chocolates. We stayed in the one bedroom residential suite and were very comfortable. The hotel staff suggested restaurants that delivered and Andrew, one of the valet staff, was so pleasant every time we rang to get the car. The location is perfect, staff great and beds uber comfortable. I'll stay here again.

Room Tip: I enjoyed the residential suite - full kitchen let us cut costs and eat breakfast and lunch in so we...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Sounds like a great girls getaway. Catching Wicked at the Keller, which is just a short walk away and then heading back to the comfort of the RiverPlace. AHHH now that sounds nice!

Reviewed 5 April 2012

The Riverplace had just been bought from Larkspur by Kimpton when I stayed there and they hadn't yet implemented the good fish or yoga mats. They offer apples and cookies in the lobby and have the most gracious staff of any hotel I have stayed in.

We had originally booked the parlor suite and one of the large tvs wouldn't turn on so we called the front desk who immediately sent maintenance to fix it. After working on the tv for almost an hour the maintenance man dropped the tv on the ground. Before we could even ask to be moved the front desk called and offered us the choice of the Grand Suite or an apartment style room in the condo adjacent to the main hotel.

We chose the Grand Suite, which is by far the nicest room in the hotel. It features an elaborate bathroom with dual vanities and a raised 2 person jetted tub, a view of the Willamette from every room and a dining room with seating for 12. They even include binoculars!

There is no on site fitness center so they offer free passes to the Riverplace Athletic Club a block away where spa services are also available. I was very impressed by the athletic club and spa, far better equipped than any hotel gym.

Late checkout was easily accommodated and they even held our bags until we departed from Portland that evening.

Cons? The location is scenic but a bit of a hike from downtown and the prices are pretty steep (I believe I paid just shy of $400 for our single night stay).

Room Tip: The best views are from the top floor looking north to northeast
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Ryan K, Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2012

So sorry to hear about the TV issues you experienced. I am so glad that the staff was able to upgrade you to the grand suite for the inconvenience. Yoga mats and goldfish are back by the way! We even start a free yoga class each Saturday at 8:30AM starting in May. See you soon.

Reviewed 2 April 2012

We loved our stay at the Riverplace Hotel in Portland. The entire staff were wonderful and we felt very comfortable and welcome.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 March 2012

My wife and I stayed at the hotel on our recent 4 night stay in Portland. The location of the hotel is nice, the food in the hotel restaurant was pretty good, including the breakfast that had some inventive dishes. We arrived early to the hotel on a Sunday with the thought that we could just drop off our bags and explore the city, but when we asked, they accommodated us with an early check-in (10:00am).

The one thing that stood out to us more than anything else though was the service. Everyone was beyond friendly and helpful, and we didn't run across anyone who wasn't giving their best effort to provide us with exceptional service. This included the front desk, the concierge, housekeeping, the waitstaff... everyone. Top notch...

If there are any complaints, it's that the courtyard view isn't much of a view at all. If I had to do it over, we'd probably want a city or river view. But the room was nice, modern, clean... the bed was comfortable. Overall very good hotel...

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Ryan K, Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

It’s great to hear that everyone was on top of their game. Now we just need to get you and your wife back here to enjoy that riverview!