“Disappointing”

Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Ranked #3 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We have stayed at many Kimpton Hotels, including the other ones in Portland so were looking forward to this lovely fall evening. We looked forward to checking the car for the night and enjoying all the small shops and restaurants along the waterfront. The valet service was great and the check in process easy and pleasant. We had been given an upgraded King Suite room, but the good times stopped there. The King Suite was old, tired, dark and musty smelling. I immediately went to open the curtains for some light and the windows for fresh air but found that I couldn't do either because we were directly above the valet parking area, with the freeway exit ramp beyond that. The furniture was so worn and scuffed, I covered the coffee table with magazines just to make it look better. In addition, though there is an ice bucket in the room, the only way to get ice is to call room service, which in our case was not convenient. There was not a coffeemaker in the room either, but the front desk did tell me that I could get free coffee in the lobby in the morning. I kind of doubt that the hotel manager would want to see me down there in my jammies! Overall, not a good choice.

Room Tip: Pay top dollar and get a river view room, preferably on the top floor
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank OregonNancy
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 October 2012

I would like to apologize that you were disappointed in the condition of your guestroom. I have already shared your comments with our Executive Housekeeper and Chief Engineer and we will be sure to address the issues you mentioned about the furnishings. I am also sorry that our staff did not mention we can always provide a coffeemaker in your guestroom so you don’t have to come down in your jammies. We appreciate your feedback and we want for you to stay again the next time you visit Portland. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly the next time you plan on visiting and I will personally inspect your guestroom to make sure it is perfect.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,757)

Reviewed 4 October 2012

We had a wonderful time at this hotel situated right on the River! it's directly on the River walk, which has access to a scenic walkway along the river, including numerous shops and cafes. Although we didn't use them, the hotel provides free bikes you can use to tour the river walk! The staff at the hotel are so friendly, and made us feel very welcome, helping with amenities, directions and suggestions. The view from our room facing the river was off the charts! We will be coming back to Portland to visit family, and will certainly return to this welcoming, very clean and comfortable hotel!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the river!
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 October 2012

A really nice stay in a great city. Requested a river view and got it – wonderfully accommodating staff.

Hotel was in walking distance to the farmer’s market (awesome), city shops and good restaurants.

Room was comfy and all we needed. Can’t wait to return and wouldn’t hesitate to stay here again!

Room Tip: Room with a view and doors opening to river - if you're lucky :)
1  Thank esty2006

Who says you can’t have fun while on business? The next time we see you we are going for a bike ride!

Reviewed 1 October 2012

We recently stayed here. The property is very nice. The staff are very friendly and helpful. The room were super clean and comfortable. We didnt get a chance but if you do, take advantage of the bikes that they offer to use. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 October 2012

It’s so sad to hear you didn’t get a chance to take advantage of our free bike program. The weather has been so great for a ride around the river! Let us know when you can return and we will have a couple of bikes ready to go the next time. See you soon.

Reviewed 1 October 2012

My husband and I stayed in the Riverplace hotel while on our honeymoon in Sept 2012. The hotel has a beautiful view of the river and a very modern, cool decor. Our room was really comfortable and overlooked the water. All the staff was very helpful with directions and recommendations of things to do/see

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Congratulations on your big day and thank you for staying at the RiverPlace on your honeymoon! I love when we can play a part in such a special event. Hope to see you on all those upcoming anniversaries.

Reviewed 29 September 2012

After a long business trip, I decided to stay at the RiverPlace upon my return to Portland, just to pamper myself a bit. I stay in a lot of hotels all over the world, so when one hotel makes me really happy, I like to write about it.

The RiverPlace is a small hotel located on the bank of the WIllamette River in downtown Portland. The staff works hard to take care of guests without it being obvious. I arrived in Portland around noon and asked for an early check in. The staff moved me to a nicer room in order to accommodate my request. Once I arrived, I checked in and went to my room to freshen up and relax. A list of items available for guests, if they had forgotten to bring them, adds a really nice touch. I spent time going to a store to get toothpaste before realizing I could have asked the staff for some.

Outside the hotel, you can walk along the river or on the boat dock. Waterfront Park has a number of benches if you want to just relax and let the river flow in front of you. So many things to do in Portland. Or maybe you just want to read a book outside.

I noticed how mellow the guests were. That's a good sign. On Sunday, I had brunch at the hotel restaurant with friends. Excellent service, delicious mimosas and great outdoor tables on a sunny morning.

The bed was comfy and I slept well at night since it's a very quiet location. I really had zero complaints or issues when I left, and that is rare for me.

RiverPlace is my favorite hotel in Portland.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2012

Love to hear we were a great fit. Also I love your comment about our mellow guest! So true.

Reviewed 27 September 2012

We have family who moved to Portland that we visit about once a year, so we've been trying to find a hotel that we enjoy there. The RiverPlace Hotel was perfect! We had a condo overlooking the river - plenty of room, beautiful views, lovely places to walk - easy driving to and from too. The staff here is so helpful. We found "fancy eating" for the adults, kids' activities that were fun for all of us, and the ever important "kid-friendly' dining opportunities within walking distance. Now we can look forward to easy, comfortable trips back. We are frequent travelers. You won't go wrong by choosing this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 September 2012

Great news that the search is over! Now let’s come visit family more often. We really appreciate the comments and can’t wait for you to return.