“Absolute Perfection!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
Overland Park, Kansas
“Absolute Perfection!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013

Husband and I were in Portland for Fall getaway to visit friends. I chose River Place based upon the glowing recommendations and was not disappointed. I never sleep well away from home but the mattress and bed linens were so soft and comfortable that my husband had to drag me from bed each morning of our 4 day/3 night visit. The location was beautiful as well as convenient to all our activities . Coffee, papers and the fireplace in the lobby were a wonderful way to start each day..I will definitely come back to Portland and stay at River Place.

Room Tip: Our outside view was not great but the comfort of the bed and the nice room appointments were wonder...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this review, 4 December 2013
Now why would he feel the need to drag you out of that comfy bed? Oh well, next time tell him to get you some voodoo donuts so you can catch up on your relaxing. See you soon!

Ryan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (587)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

It tries. The staff try. But geez. Tv remote won't work from sitting in bed. Coffee maker is one cup. At a time, and the mugs are just a little too small. Bedside Lamps are massive but don't give off enough light to read a magazine. And the bed - it's sacked out. Can't roll over without waking up.
The decor is so eclectic you wonder if it really tried to be this odd.

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Gosh I am sorry we left you a bit disappointed. If you stay with us again please contact me directly I want to make that 3 star rating into a 5. Thank so much for providing your feedback.

Montana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

The River Place is a typical Kimpton hotel charging high end boutique hotel rates for a usually feeble attempt to do so. This hotel duplicates our experiences with Kimptons. It is a pleasant facility with attempts at excellent services, but always just short of the mark. Our room is an upscale King small suite. Tasteful decor, but very average finishes. Small things that those that may be enamored by the marketing like no plugs available at the table/desk for computers or anything; disconnect a light to do so. A tub/shower, closet door handles filthy, poor drawer storage space. Most annoying is the only access to the internet without paying $12.99 per night is a mandatory membership in their Kimpton "Club" which includes your birth date, sex, email address, etc! They are attempting to market at a level that does not equate to their lower level of quality. They are apparently quite successful and many people are happy with them. They do not meet our expectations for a high quality boutique hotel.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this review, 29 November 2013
I would like to apologize that your stays at Kimpton Hotels have not left you impressed. I am so sorry that you experienced cleanliness issues in the guestroom you occupied I will address this immediately with my Executive Housekeeper and the Housekeeping staff. I would like to mention that we do offer built in plugs in each bedside table and in each guestroom desk. Each bedside stand is marked with the international power symbol to notify our guest that plugs are available once you open the cabinet door. We can always supply you with free internet access by providing a username and password from the front desk for those that wish not to sign up for our loyalty program. Thank you for your feedback. I promise we will use it to improve upon our product and services.

Methuen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

My wife and I were booked to stay at the RiverPlace Hotel in Portland, OR by a travel agency for a quick 2 night stay while on business. Upon checking in I was delighted to find out we were staying at a Kimpton property. We've had nothing but positive stays at other Kimpton Hotels and our stay at the RiverPlace only confirmed why we enjoyed our stay. Everybody was helpful. The services are super. Location is awesome. Rooms are perfect. Make sure to stay here next time you're in Portland.

Room Tip: Water view for sure!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
We were glad to have you! And thank you for being a fan of Kimpton Hotels. We hope to have you and your wife back on a leisure trip the next time around. Thanks for the review.
Central California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 November 2013

This was our first time staying at a Kimpton property and we weren't disappointed I am glad to say. The hotel is located on a lovely piece of property with great views of the water. However, here is where my only negative comment arrives. Portland is very walkable/bikeable and that is how we toured the city. At this location you will encounter many homeless in the park adjacent to the hotel. This was fine during the day, but early mornings and evenings were uncomfortable walking past some of them who were obviously drug addicts.

Beyond this, all staff was exceptional and accommodating. I especially appreciated the extra attention they paid to the guest dog they were babysitting behind the desk while its owners were sightseeing. Sweet, right? The hotel has a "Portland" vibe, which was a good thing for us. We wanted to try something out of our comfort zone, and we were happy in our eclectically designed room. Really, the beds were extra comfortable.

Our wedding anniversary was recognized several times and it was much appreciated. I would tell my friends to give this place a try because in general, it’s going to be difficult to avoid the transient population Portland anywhere you go. The River Place was worth the annoyance.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TheTravelingSmiths
Thanks for your amazing comments about your recent honeymoon visit! I am sorry that you found the area near our property a bit unsafe. Truly the RiverPlace Community is one of the safest areas in the downtown Portland area and is not known for having a big homeless problem. The RP community even offers its own security patrol which generally deters the transient population from hanging out in the park. I will share your review with the patrol officers.

Pendleton, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 November 2013

We have always loved staying at this hotel, but after retirement our travels did not take us to Portland as much. However, we were recently in Portland, and made reservations. Then unexpectedly, we needed to stay an extra night during a very busy time for them. They accomodated us extremely well. And we were amazed and so happy to see the staff that we once knew were still there with their excellent service, great attitudes, big smiles and caring attitudes. We also loved the new decoration in the room. The Kimpton Hotel is the ONLY place to stay while in Portland.

Room Tip: River View Rooms are the best.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Erin J, Front Office Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this review, 24 November 2013
Awww...we are blushing! Thank you so much for the lovely review and your loyalty over the years. We hope it wont be to long until your next visit.
Erin
Calabasas, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

What an amazing stay! When I say Ahhh-Mazing-it truly was one of the most relaxing times I have ever had.

From my first interaction with Doug who greeted me -to Kaitlyn at the front desk- was so polite and professional-she gave me a little information about the surrounding area-. When I got to my Riverview room I was pleasantly surprised, The view was breathtaking, the room was spacious -nice fluffy robes and towels. The bed was like sleeping on clouds, and the turn down service (Maria? Martha?) was a nice touch.

I had a wonderful room service experience- I believe his name was John, came in and welcomed me to Portland-(It was my first time visiting) my food was very, very warm and delicious!

Brett the bartender was absolutely Awesome! He let me taste a few of the local brews-I am not a beer drinker-but for this occasion I was a believer. I really have to suggest the Alaskan Halibut-OH MY GOSH! MELT in your mouth!!

I highly suggest the Lamb Ceviche& Ginger BBQ Shrimp. I have to say that this is now my favorite Hotel to stay at! I travel frequently for business, and I am highly impressed with this property and can't wait to return with the entire family! This is my first time with the Kimpton brand, and I really am IMPRESSED!

The only 2 negatives:
1.It was hard to catch a cab-several flaked out. Maybe if they put in a cab stand or contracted with like 2 companies it would greatly improve. The money these cab drivers miss out on I'm sure is quite a bit.

2. My trip ended too soon :)

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for all the staff shout outs! Douglas, Katelin, Martha, John and Brett are so awesome and we are so lucky to have them apart of the team. I am very glad to hear you had a relaxing and enjoyable stay. Thank you so much for your review!!
Erin