“Waterfront location, Caring Staff and Hipness Factor”

Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 139 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Coronado, California
“Waterfront location, Caring Staff and Hipness Factor”
Reviewed 31 March 2014

A quick trip to Portland for my kid's spring break and what a great choice we made in staying at the River Place Hotel. I cannot recommend high enough - the staff were terrific without being Eddie Haskell phony nice. Our room had amazing views of the river with always something to watch out front. Plus, you spill out the front door and get to pretend that you are like the other super nice, hippie types walking past with their oh so sexy athletic gear - not at all like the Shades of Grey tourism board would have you believe. While lots of restaurants in walking distance, who wants to leave the hotel when they plow you with free wine every night plus cookies for the tweenies'. There was also two farmers markets close by; one with fresh food the other with "Made in Portland" tchotchkes that were classic. My only thing was the TV remote didn't work but not enough to spoil my contact high being around so many nice people. The key to customer service? Sludge happens but then make it up with swag, wine and smiles. Call out props to Sokhun Keo for following up on one of my nits.

Room Tip: River front pricey but probably worth it. They were cleaning the restaurants grease trap which made...
Green Features: I loved their magazine about environmental outreach with conservation groups. Wish I took it but felt guilty so left it.
1 Thank KellyandMcKenzy
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this review, 2 April 2014
I am serious when I say Sokhun has not stopped smiling since he read your review!! I think he has told everyone that he got his own personal “call out” on Tripadvisor. Thank you for making his day. Oh and PS those magazines are made for you to take so please take one the next time you come and visit. Well, off I go to put on my sexy athletic gear to go run around the river. See you soon.

Ryan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (601)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Pleasant Hill, California
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The family was in Portland for a weekend, visiting with family members who were in town for a conference. The staff at RiverPlace were wonderful to us and our kids (6 and 3). They had great restaurant suggestions, took care of reservations for us, brought a goldfish to our room to keep the kiddos company, had kid-friendly DVD's on hand for movie night, and made us all feel very welcome. We've been to other hotels which are pet-friendly but turn their noses up at human children - not RiverPlace! The kids felt like stars, which made for happy, relaxed parents, too. Loved the cookies at wine hour - treats for the whole family!

1 Thank Julia F
I love that you and your kids had a great time during your visit! A few years ago I received a comment that the RiverPlace was not kid friendly. I took that comment to heart and we have implemented some very cook kid amenities since. We roll out s'mores hour and family movie night in the courtyard once the weather turns to Spring. We hope to see you and the family soon!

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 March 2014

Great stay, superb room, fantastic staff (Brian at the front desk was exemplary). Liked it so much I stayed an extra night. I didn't have time to use the spa but will do if I stay there again - and I definitely will be staying there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Chico, California
Reviewed 25 March 2014

The entire family traveled to Portland to take a look at colleges for our oldest daughter, the first on the list was PSU. I was concerned that little sister would feel "left out", so I picked the Kimpton first for its location within walking distance of PSU and second for the linus bikes available for use by guests. Little sister loves bikes. So after checking in and relaxing with some complimentary wine, fruit infused ice water and green cupcakes (March 17), we took to the bikes. The welcoming environment at the Kimpton set the stage for a lovely week of college tours. And I wouldn't be surprised at all if little sister picks PSU for her college choice which would be fine with me because we could stay at the Kimpton again and again!

1 Thank Tamara M
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this review, 26 March 2014
We are crossing our fingers for you. PSU is a great school and with its location right in the middle of downtown Portland it can offer a lot to do and see. Glad that you and the little sister enjoyed the bikes too. Hope to see you soon when you come to visit her.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I travel to PDX at least once a month on business. This is by far the best place I have stayed. And I have stayed in a lot of places - really awesome places. What sets them apart?

Well, first, I have a hard time sleeping in hotels. I need fresh air and quiet. And guess what? This is the quietest hotel, AND the windows open. And they are on the river! My last stay there was just last week, and it was pretty typical for this hotel... they knew me when I arrived. The staff here is really welcoming and grounded, and not pretentious at all. They are kind and committed, and seem genuinely pleased to make you as comfortable as possible. So anyways, I arrived with a last minute reservation made through my company, and got the BEST UPGRADE EVER. A room with a fireplace and a river view. Did I mention quiet? It has spoiled me forever.

My one-day trip to PDX had turned into 4 grueling days - this hotel made it so bearable - pleasant even. The level of customer service at this hotel goes beyond - it seems to be in the DNA of everyone who works there. From the front desk staff, to the bar, to the valet and concierge - the people are just so nice. That is no small feat in this industry. If you go, visit the bar. Joe is mixing really great drinks, and the kitchen puts out some tasty chow. And it doesn't totally feel like a hotel bar.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice. Of course, river view is the best:-)
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank Cat D
Lovely! Absolutely positively lovely.

London
Reviewed 24 March 2014

From the moment we arrived at the hotel, the staff's commitment to service was evident. Everyone without exception had a smile and sought to go out of their way to ensure we had an excellent stay. We arrived early, and given we wanted to change and head out to meet friends, the reception staff found another room that was immediately available by up-grading us. The room was a good size, an executive suite, with a king bedroom, and separate lounge area overlooking the court-yard. It was very comfortable - bed was especially dreamy! We had two other couples staying at the hotel - and none of us understood how the shower worked (maybe it's just us?) so for the record it requires a twist (and pull!). We found the hotel on Trip Advisor and booked because of all the great reviews. It's on the riverside, and about a 5-10 minute walk along the riverbank to the tram stop which provides transport to all of the central locations every 10 minutes. I had thought the hotel was a shorter walk into town than it is - that said, we found ourselves driving around the various parts of Portland and parking on side streets rather than use the trams, which was very easy to do. The river bank has lots of cafe's and restaurants too - complimenting the hotel services nicely. Would definitely recommend the hotel and thank you to everyone who made our stay so enjoyable, comfortable and totally stress free!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DillyDaudle
Thank you for your amazing comments about our staff. I will be sure that your feedback is shared with the entire team. Much appreciated!!

Santa Barbara, California
Reviewed 23 March 2014

My husband and I dropped our daughter off at University of Oregon and then went and stayed at the RiverPlace Hotel. I was a bit sad about dropping our baby off at college, but, as soon as I walked into the hotel, I felt better! Jamie at the Front Desk was very welcoming - she was a UO graduate, so it was fun to talk with her. My husband and I loved the ambiance, the great staff and the wonderful location - beautiful views and an easy walk to downtown. We look forward to staying here again on our next visit to Portland!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lv2trvla
I can imagine how emotional it can be dropping off your daughter to a university. Glad to hear Jamie made you feel at ease with her care felt service. We are all looking forward to you returning when you come back to visit her.