“This was a beautiful hotel.”

Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 139 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Eugene, Oregon, United States
“This was a beautiful hotel.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

This is a beautiful hotel. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The room was bright, clean and nicely decorated. Lots of little café/bar type places to eat within walking distance. Will stay here again!

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (592)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
British Columbia Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2014

My husband and I recently stayed at the Kimpton Riverplace in Portland Oregon. We stayed for 3 nights and we can't say enough about this hotel. Staff are very friendly and go out of their way to assist and make the stay perfect. We vacationed with our black lab and the little things that this hotel did such as provide a dog bed, bowls, bags, treats, even small towels to wipe paws after a wet walk in the rain. We want to thank Ellie and Sekhon for their wonderful welcome and assistance when we first arrived. Andrew with the Concierge desk was helpful with local places to visit such as the amazing brew pubs this city as to offer. The room was very clean, beds very comfortable and housekeeping was very helpful in cleaning our room while we walked our dog in the morning. Martha from housekeeping was wonderful and went out of her way every day to ensure the room was clean and looking great.

This vacation was a birthday trip for my husband and we are SOOOO glad we picked this hotel. I am very picky and travelling with a dog sometimes can be discouraging but not with Kimpton!!!

Thank you so much for the wonderful experience. We recommend this hotel...especially if you are a dog lover.

We will return one day :)

2 Thank CanuckOnHoliday
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this review, 30 April 2014
What a great Birthday gift! Yes I couldn't agree more, if you are traveling with your dog you can’t go wrong with a Kimpton hotel. No pet deposit, no size requirements, and we hook them up with all sorts of fun pet amenities. Thanks for choosing the RiverPlace.

Cheers,

Long Valley, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2014

This is a very nice hotel in a good location on the Willamette River. Room was very comfortable, staff all very friendly, and its a good jumping off to walk long the river and explore the city in general.

1 Thank Jeff M
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

I recently spent 9 nights at the RiverPlace on the occasion of the AAAL and TESOL Conferences being held in Portland. I'm still patting myself on the back for the decision to stay at the RiverPlace rather than at one of the convention hotels. Not only is the setting superb (loved walking out of the hotel in the morning and being greeted by the geese waddling around by the river bank) but the staff are super caring, friendly, and knowledgeable. I managed to make wine hour most nights and am still regretting that I didn't make use of the free rental bikes. I loved the fact that it is a dog friendly hotel and the canine guests are listed by name at the hotel registration desk. My only real complaint is that as a female traveler sharing the room with another female roommate, our room faced the street rather than the river. It seemed to me that for a 9-night stay a river view room would have been warranted but was told at registration that there are very few rooms with two beds and these are all on the street side. Somehow that seems wrong to me and I hope the hotel will revisit this policy.

Room Tip: Definitely request a river view and don't take "no" for an answer!
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Great decision bypassing those conference hotels! Thanks for choosing to stay at the RiverPlace and thanks for the great review. It is true we do offer only a few guestrooms with 2 double beds but the good news is every spacious suite comes with a very comfortable sleeper sofa. Next time I would recommend the Executive Suites that has a separate living room area from the bedroom for better privacy or better yet reserve a Marina View condo suite, tons of space, full kitchen, and separate bedrooms.

Cheers,

Gig Harbor, Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

Good hotel in a good location, not the best Kimpton property I’ve ever stayed at though. The staff was friendly and helpful, the room was clean and the bed was comfortable, although I was facing the street so there was some noticeable road noise. Besides the noise I would say this place lives up to the Kimpton standard that you would expect. I'll probably choose one of their other properties next time I am in town.

Room Tip: Try and avoid a room facing the road to help reduce the noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this review, 21 April 2014
Thanks for the review and feedback. Sorry about the road noise you encountered. We generally do not hear of too many noise issues coming from either side of the building due to our location. Let’s be sure to get you a nice Riverview the next time you do stay with us.

Kind Regards,

Lawrenceville, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2014

We recently stayed at RiverPlace for a long weekend before heading to Hood River for a conference I was attending there. We had never been to Portland before and chose RiverPlace because of the reviews on Tripadvisor.

It was the perfect choice! We were greeted warmly upon our arrival and the check-in process was painless. Our room was lovely. The decor is awesome in the hotel both in the rooms and everywhere else. They had a really great decorator!! It's a little funky and everything coordinates in a very pleasing way.

Our room had a city view rather than river view and that was okay with me. The hotel sits well away from traffic, surrounded by a park area and was nice and quiet.

Everyone, from restaurant wait staff to the people at the front door to the person serving the free wine during happy hour in the lobby, was attentive and friendly and helpful.

The location is not a long walk to downtown and we didn't need to get our car out once during the days we were there. We enjoyed walking around. We visited the Portland Art Museum among other local attractions. We had dinner at several close by restaurants. We ate at the restaurant inside RiverPlace for all breakfasts and one lunch and were pleased with the food. We would have been okay eating dinner there, too, but wanted to sample some other restaurants.

If I have occasion to return to Portland, I will stay at RiverPlace again.

Room Tip: I think it's a matter of personal choice if you want a room with a river view or city view. I li...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
I am so glad that you enjoyed the staff and our new décor. We were lucky to have gotten this very talented designer! He did a wonderful job of making the décor more modern and fun. I loved how he pulled in subtle influences of the nearby marina. Thanks for checking us out!

Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2014

The Good: Fabulous location! By the park, the river, fantastic views and sunning courtyard, easy access to everywhere you’d want to go. Updated chic/funky décor and an evening Manager’s reception featuring gourmet warm chocolate chip cookies and Peach Bellini’s!
The Bad: REALLY noisy. Great for a fire - heavy doors - but they have not yet invested in springs to slow down the incessant slamming; room to room noise not so great either. Many of the front desk people had a pretty much “I don’t care attitude”.
Hit and Miss: I ALWAYS stay at five star hotels….so, after reading the views and scouting the property on a prior trip through Portland I was excited to stay here. This is definitely a three star property: maybe after fixing the door problem and adding some insulation? Also, when we went to the athletic club guests are supposed to have access to, the girl at the front desk greeted us with “we close in ten minutes (at 6 pm) and everything but the pool is broken” in a bored voice. The service at the Kimpton was hit and miss at all levels, definitely not five star service – this is no Four Seasons or Montage, they have a long way to go…

Room Tip: Go somewhere else.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sctsdlmom
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this review, 16 April 2014
Gosh I am so sorry we did not meet your expectations. I actually sent you an email this morning concerning your comments on our internal survey. I did share your feedback with my team and I am happy that they provided you with a complimentary night stay and paid for breakfast for you and your family. I do feel their service recovery and overall service provided to make you and your family more comfortable was well above an I don’t care attitude. Thank you again for your review and feedback, we certainly will use it to improve our service and product.