“Best Kimpton We've Stayed”

Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Ranked #2 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We made a trip to Portland in June 2014 for business and pleasure. This was a road trip, so we were taking our Golden Retriever. She only stays at a Kimpton. Of the three Kimpton Hotels in Portland, we chose Riverplace due to its beautiful location on the riverfront and easy access to downtown Portland. You can easy walk to many sections of town or use the traveler friendly local transportation.

This hotel is unbelievably well managed. All staff are very friendly, welcoming and helpful. Kimpton staff are usually this way, but the staff at RiverPlace go beyond the typical experience. We cannot say enough about the staff at this hotel. We simply found them to be as hospitable as if you were staying with family.

The hotel had recently began a small food and drink bar on the riverfront walkaway. The staff there were very friendly to everyone, even those just passing by.

Our room overlooking the inside courtyard and river was fantastic, in excellent condition and very nicely appointed.

We highly recommend a trip to Portland and we especially encourage prospective travelers to stay at RiverPlace Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the river are the most desirable.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

I just love that your golden only stays at Kimpton's! Best comment ever! Thanks for bringing her to experience the RiverPlace.

Ryan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,756)

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Three night stay over the July 4 holiday extended weekend. Our room was beautiful, one of the suites with a living room, fireplace and views (room 301). The hotel adheres to the 4 PM checkin so we had to wait for over an hour until that time to check into the room. Not a big problem because there is so much to see and do near the hotel.
This is a great hotel and location. We had a nice welcome in our room, beer, bubble bath......! There was a menu of activities over the holiday such as making smores, a trail mix bar, a wine happy hour every night...Most activities were held in the outdoor courtyard on the 2nd floor. The hotel does not have a fitness facility but gave us passes to use daily at the Riverplace Sport and Spa just a block away.
In the mornings there is a free coffee bar with even iced coffee and a hot tea selection.
Where this hotel greatly lacks is no concierge service. Our first night we asked for seafood and I was disappointed they referred us to a chain restaurant that we have in our hometown. I ended up doing my own research online for the following nights and was quite pleased with my choices (Adina for peruvian food!!!). We wanted to see the Japanese garden and the rose garden on July 4. The hotel was of no help in directing us how to get there. It would be beneficial if this hotel printed out directions to common tourist places and could at least hand those out. We ended up taking the Trimet Max light rail to the Japanese garden and found it by asking people along the way.
A huge fault of this hotel is that we did book a premier room and not once did anyone tell us that we were next door to the Blue's Festival going on. The mirrors in our bathroom vibrated from noon until 11 pm everyday of our visit. I like Blue's but you could not escape the music in this room, we had to have the volume up on the television all the way to hear anything. I felt that we should have been told during booking and prior to going to our room that this was the case.
We did come back to our room one day after walking all morning at 1 PM and our room was not cleaned yet. We called down to the desk and yes, they were polite about it, said it would be cleaned soon. We did have to wait one more hour to have a clean room so we could relax a bit. Again, I feel for a premier room, that should have received some priority.
I am new to visiting Portland so I am unsure of any other hotels in the area. This is a super location, the restaurant was great for breakfast (we did not eat any other time there) and it is dog friendly. Just do your own research on things to do and restaurants and you will be fine.

Room Tip: We had room 301 and the view was fantastic.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

Thank you for the review and thank you for staying with us over the 4th of July holiday! I am sorry you were disappointed in our Concierge services. I have shared your thoughts with the team and we will be making pre-printed directions to the most requested attractions. I also would like to apologize you were not informed about the Blues festival. We do have many systems in place to notify our guest about this event ie. reservations notifications, pre arrival emails, etc. I will investigate how you reserved your guestroom and how this slipped through the cracks. Thanks again for the feedback we will take it and run with it.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

I wanted a comfortable hotel for our Portland trip since we were driving from SF and making multiple stops; again TripAdvisor did not disappoint. The location was excellent, next to the river with a jogging/bike path. It was also close to downtown. Our room was cozy, well-decorated and spacious for our family of four (2 adults, 1 infant and 1 dog). We stayed in room 318. We did not have a river view; our room was in the front of the hotel with a view of the park across the street. It was nice and the green space provided us with privacy.

I really loved the service and felt they went out of their way to make us feel comfortable (especially for our dog). We woke up and provided us with coffee on our way to breakfast; lemonade in the afternoon; and wine in the evening. The amenities for our dog (treats, doggie bowl, bed, toy) was delightful and love that they did not charge us for pet cleaning fee. They even had toys and books for kids in the lobby.

Parking was expensive. I found a special room rate on Kimpton's website where we got 50% off valet parking, which helped us. The restaurant was okay. We arrived pretty late our first night and was too tired to look for a place to eat. The food was decent and of course overpriced.

Overall we would stay here again. We were on the road for over 6 hours prior to our arrival and was so happy that we chose to stay here as it made our stay so comfortable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Welcome to Kimpton! We are glad we could make the stay a comfortable one, especially after so many hours in a car. As you now know if you are traveling with your dog Kimpton's are by far the best pet friendly hotel company around. Thanks for the review.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

Outstanding boutique hotel on the Willamette River in downtown Portland. Excellent location close to restaurants, 2 mile bike path, downtown venues/businesses, and less than a mile from OHSU as well. While there is no fitness center in the hotel, it is 3 doors down from a health club that you can use. The rooms/suites are quaint with many different floor plans. I had a junior suite, which was on the corner overlooking the river and hotel courtyard. The bed was amazingly comfortable. The hotel offers an afternoon wine tasting, free loaner bicycles, and a nice restaurant off the lobby. It is also a pet friendly property if you are traveling with your animals.

Room Tip: Ask for a junior suite rather than a deluxe room. Try to get a room overlooking the river.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Kaylen26
Reviewed 4 July 2014

My girlfriend and I just spent 4 days at the River Place and they couldn't have treated us better. We've stayed at other Kimpton properties before and always found them to be very nice w/ a well trained and friendly staff. The River Place's staff was truly excellent and there wasn't a single staff member who was genuinely friendly, very efficient, and always helpful. No matter whether it was bringing our car around, getting directions or just checking to see if we needed anything at all, their personal touch and friendliness made our stay all the better. But it isn't just about the staff. Our room was nicely appointed, well laid out w/ everything we needed for a 4 day stay and spotlessly clean. Its important to note, the River Place is pet friendly and there was absolutely no hint of pet orders of any kind. We brought along our chocolate lab and she was as welcomed by everyone as we were. Our room faced the city as opposed to the river and there was very little street noise. We tend to sleep w/ the windows open for the fresh air so we did hear "the sounds of the city" which was not intrusive in the least. The river and its boardwalk are next to the hotel and in the mornings we enjoyed walking the waterfront, crossing the bridges and taking in Portland's skyline. Portland is a walkable city and from the River Place it was an easy walk to restaurants and shopping. We couldn't have had a better place to call home during our stay. Loved it, and will be back!

Room Tip: Ask if you can be upgraded to a river view. It would be a nice addition to your trip if they have t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 July 2014

The RiverPlace was my fourth Kimpton stay this year, so I arrived with certain expectations: superior service, something special in design and an authentic, real Portland experience. All of my expectations were exceeded. This was my first try at an extended stay at a Kimpton. My husband and I reserved a Marina View Suite (900 sq foot condo) for a week. The extended stay rate was very good value and allowed us to "live" on the Willamette River for seven nights.We enjoyed four star hotel service (housekeeping, room service, concierge) in our own, ample space. Our balcony looked out on the marina, so I could enjoy good coffee and the sunrise and watch the walkers, bikers, runners, kayakers and regular people on the riverwalk below. I enjoyed the coffee at The Bean and The Little River Cafe every morning. From my room I could walk to the waterfront garden, the Portland Spirit Cruise landing and pretty much everywhere in SW Portland I wanted to go.
On Thursday,we rented a car for the day and drove west to the coast (90 minutes). Cannon Beach is beautiful even in the rain and fog. On Saturday, we rented a car and drove east to the Columbia Gorge, certainly one of my most memorable "natural" experiences.
We found the Kimpton to be a friendly, comfortable hotel that served as a base camp for some very special adventures. Thank you to all of the staff at the RiverPlace. You guys do good work.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Those Mariana View suites are something special aren't they! Good choice reserving one for your extended stay. They offer a ton of space and great privacy, all the while you can enjoy all the lovely amenities the hotel has to offer. Thanks for the review.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

My wife and I just returned from three days in Portland, Oregon. We stayed at the Kimpton RiverPlace to celebrate her birthday there with friends from the D.C. area. The hotel was magnificent, the room, the comfort of the bed, the food, the bar were all fantastic. The location was perfect, and the staff was the best I've ever experienced. We will be going back to Portland, because we love the city, and we definitely will be staying at the Kimpton a RiverPlace.

Room Tip: They are all good...we had a suite which was fantastic. Ask for a "river view room."
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends