“Another Tripadvisor Disappointment”

Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I am really starting to question trip advisor ratings. I fully expect this review to go unpublished, as have other reviews I have written about top rated hotels that I disagreed with the rating. This hotel is OK, but not as nice as the Monaco, IMHO. Rooms are nothing special. For a Riverfront location, I expected a small balcony. Minibar is stocked dismally, wifi is super slow and spotty, on site restaurant is mediocre. $31 for valet parking, a tiny lobby, no on site fitness center or pool. Not a great deal. Staff is friendly, just an overpriced place.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DrTakCalifornia
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you felt disappointed in the overall experience. I agree the Monaco is a great property. I worked there for over 7 years. Their property and ours are very similar in service but in my opinion it has a lot to do with location and decor preferences if you like one over the other. Both offer spacious suites in similar size while their location is in the city center ours is on the Waterfront. I promise you I never dispute Tripadvisor reviews, your opinion is your opinion and I respect that. Thank you once again for providing your thoughts about our property and safe travels to you.

There are newer reviews for Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Just returned from 3 nights at RiverPlace. There was some confusion with our room at check in and Erin at the front desk solved it quickly and with a smile on her face. Accommodations were very comfortable and staff very warm and helpful. Easy to walk or take light rail anywhere in town. Great location on the river, must stay again when we return to Portland.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lhshannon
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Giving Erin a high five now! Thanks for the review!!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The view was to die for: the deck a tableau of the city of commuting, boating, strolling, recreating. The style, cleanliness, and comfort that's easy to take for granted in a Kimpton hotel. But then add the following: Unexpected and undeserved upgrade to one of the hotel's best rooms, their Marine View Suite. Welcoming us were kids robes laid out on the King bed, 2 girls and a boy, reflecting the precise nature of our triplets. A little spooky, as I'm not sure I ever told the hotel about their sizes/ sexes. Other welcoming touches, a portion of Lagavuin 16 year old single malt. (I'd filled out a form once indicating this as a favorite libation). One stuffed beaver for each child. The refrigerator was stocked with half a dozen 16 oz. Diet Dr. Peppers (another previously indicated favorite).

The hotel has taken hospitality to that elusive level of subtle, unobtrusive, thoughtful, anticipatory excellence usually reserved for rock stars who bury "no brown M&Ms" clauses into their contracts.

Perhaps the most impressive hospitality/hotel I've ever experienced.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Glen M

We heard you were traveling with triplets and we were so excited to provide you and your family an experience that you so well deserve. As a father of a 3 year old I can't even imagine traveling with triplets! Thanks for sharing your experience, we look forward to you returning for some more rock star treatment sometime in the near future.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Loved loved this hotel! Especially the beautiful location. Room was lovely, clean, comfortable. We caught the wine tasting and had some wonderful ceviche on the deck outside the restaurant. I appreciated that this hotel had so much character and provided for a memorable experience. We rode bikes both days we were there. Great perk! We walked to town which was so convenient not to have to take a car and find parking. Portland is very popular and I was thrilled to visit. We will be back and like stay at The River Place.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cathy040402
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My wife and I stayed several nights here in late June this year. Our room was really lovely, very clean, comfortable with a great king sized bed. We had just returned from a long stay in Belize, and it was really refreshing to be able to relax and unwind at the hotel. The room had a well stocked mini-bar and a selection of snacks, and it had very good wi-fi. The hotel breakfast in the riverside lounge was fabulous, with really friendly and quick service. I spent one rainy morning working in the comfortable hotel lounge which looked out onto the river, and had regular refills of hot coffee. It was quiet, relaxed and comfortable. Would highly recommend this hotel if you are spending a few days in Portland and are looking for some peace and comfort.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Wow that does sound relaxing! Your review reminded me of how special our location really is. I sometimes take it for granted but not today. I'm going to make it a point to get out of my windowless office today and work from one of those rocking chairs that overlooks the Willamette.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

My fiancé surprised me with a weekend here on my birthday. We live in the area but got 'away' for the 4th of July weekend. When he told me, I called Kimpton immediately, as I had a 20% off discount in my email from Kimpton sent to me that day. The woman from RiverPlace apologized, that being a holiday weekend those dates were blocked out from the deal.

It didn't matter.

They knew it was my birthday weekend and they knew it was our anniversary month. When we arrived our room had been upgraded, and a bottle of champagne and two red velvet cupcakes with candles were waiting for us with a handwritten card when we got to our room.

As if that was not enough.

The celebrations and extras were many! Fourth of July presented a table of beautiful treats for families and couples alike. The hour wine and beer is served, so is popcorn. Oh yes, and chocolate chip cookies too! The second evening the hour was hosted outside, and my fiancé tried his first s'more.

The services absolutely fantastic, and it was such a busy weekend with the blues festival going on at the river's park. We met so many nice people and everyone seemed very happy with their stays!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

What an exciting time to be staying with us. Not only were you celebrating your birthday and anniversary but you and your husband got to enjoy all of the 4th of July events that happen in and around the hotel. So glad you loved the experience.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

We stayed at the Riverplace Hotel based on the overwhelming number of 5 star TripAdvisor reviews. This was our first trip to Portland so I don't have another local hotel for a direct comparison. My rating is based on my experience from other 5 star properties and the associated value.

We stayed at the Riverplace for 3 nights.

The hotel has many good things to offer: 1) great location on the river; there are plenty of places to eat within a few feet of the hotel and downtown is just a short walk away; 2) excellent hotel staff - both at the front desk and guys working the front door; everyone was always friendly and helpful; 3) free bicycles available to tour the city - bikes were generally in good condition, tires could use some air but otherwise fairly nice bikes. 4) clean rooms - always a big plus in my book.

Based on the above, I would have rated the hotel 4 stars. The offsetting factors that lowered my overall rating were the following: 1) there is nothing grand about the hotel - the lobby is average and the hotel rooms are average, there was really nothing to differentiate it as a 5 star property; 2) the hotel and rooms are a bit dated and tired looking - the bed was comfortable but the furnishings were bulky and didn't fit the room. 3) room was above average on the noise level - you could hear people talking as they were walking along the river way below and there was noticeable traffic noise from the bridge across the river.

Other things that I consider a nuisance and distraction: 1) no free wifi unless you are a kimpton member otherwise it's 12.95 a day; 2) valet parking is $31/day - service to retrieve the car was a bit slow - friendly but slow - I didn't expect to park for free but it seemed a bit much for the city.

Based on everything above and when you consider that we paid +$400 night overall(excluding food) - I was expecting more from this hotel. I have been fortunate to stay in other 5 star properties in different countries over the years, unfortunately the Riverplace just didn't meet my expectations of a 5 star property - it's a nice place but value-wise, it's only 3 stars.

I would definitely try a different hotel if I make it back to Portland.

Room Tip: Riverview rooms have a great view but you can hear the street noise from below and traffic noise fro...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank exptraveller501
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2014

Thank you so much for your review and feedback. I am so sorry that we did not meet your expectations. To be honest I do not consider our hotel a 5 star property. I feel we certainly provide 5 star standards of service but when I think of 5 star hotels I think of marble everywhere, huge chandeliers, and valets with white gloves. That is really not who we are or what we are trying to be. I feel the RiverPlace offers a style of service that compliments the friendly Portland culture and the comfortable setting of our hotel and location. I hope this helps other readers of your review and those looking to chose a hotel in Portland a better understanding of what to expect. Thank you again for staying with us and providing your feedback on your experience.