“Top Notch! ”

Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 7 August 2014 via mobile

Let me first start by saying that this property is gorgeous and it's location was perfect for my particular needs. The check in process was simple and the front desk staff was oozing with genuine kindness. The room was immaculate, they gave me a complimentary upgrade from a King room to a Junior suite. I have no idea what I did to deserve that but was grateful for it. The room was very spacious with that Kimpton Hotel signature decor. I truly love the way they dress their guest rooms. After unwinding in this lavish room for a bit, I stepped out for a bite to eat. Unfortunately, the hotel restaurant was closed by then, but luckily there was a restaurant nearby which was only about a 10 minute walk. When I returned to my room I found a bottle of Grand Marnier and candies on the desk with a note which read: Good Luck-From: The front desk staff
Wow! I had mentioned that I was there for an interview when I checked in. Wish I could've stayed longer and checked out their fitness center, pool and restaurant but even though this was a short trip it was by far one of the best experiences I have ever had at a hotel. I made sure to let them know that I will be staying there again, whenever I or my family are in Portland.

Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Mecruz
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Awesome! We hope the interview went well. Glad you enjoyed the upgrade and nightcap. From the sound of things we will be seeing you again soon.

There are newer reviews for Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel

Reviewed 6 August 2014

In todays time of over hyped claims. It is refreshing to find a place which delivers. Service, Quality, and Cleanliness where fantastic! The food at the restaurant was great. As was having a drink overlooking the river.

Room Tip: choose a room facing the river
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I am really starting to question trip advisor ratings. I fully expect this review to go unpublished, as have other reviews I have written about top rated hotels that I disagreed with the rating. This hotel is OK, but not as nice as the Monaco, IMHO. Rooms are nothing special. For a Riverfront location, I expected a small balcony. Minibar is stocked dismally, wifi is super slow and spotty, on site restaurant is mediocre. $31 for valet parking, a tiny lobby, no on site fitness center or pool. Not a great deal. Staff is friendly, just an overpriced place.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank DrTakCalifornia
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for your review. I am sorry you felt disappointed in the overall experience. I agree the Monaco is a great property. I worked there for over 7 years. Their property and ours are very similar in service but in my opinion it has a lot to do with location and decor preferences if you like one over the other. Both offer spacious suites in similar size while their location is in the city center ours is on the Waterfront. I promise you I never dispute Tripadvisor reviews, your opinion is your opinion and I respect that. Thank you once again for providing your thoughts about our property and safe travels to you.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Just returned from 3 nights at RiverPlace. There was some confusion with our room at check in and Erin at the front desk solved it quickly and with a smile on her face. Accommodations were very comfortable and staff very warm and helpful. Easy to walk or take light rail anywhere in town. Great location on the river, must stay again when we return to Portland.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lhshannon

Giving Erin a high five now! Thanks for the review!!

Reviewed 3 August 2014

The view was to die for: the deck a tableau of the city of commuting, boating, strolling, recreating. The style, cleanliness, and comfort that's easy to take for granted in a Kimpton hotel. But then add the following: Unexpected and undeserved upgrade to one of the hotel's best rooms, their Marine View Suite. Welcoming us were kids robes laid out on the King bed, 2 girls and a boy, reflecting the precise nature of our triplets. A little spooky, as I'm not sure I ever told the hotel about their sizes/ sexes. Other welcoming touches, a portion of Lagavuin 16 year old single malt. (I'd filled out a form once indicating this as a favorite libation). One stuffed beaver for each child. The refrigerator was stocked with half a dozen 16 oz. Diet Dr. Peppers (another previously indicated favorite).

The hotel has taken hospitality to that elusive level of subtle, unobtrusive, thoughtful, anticipatory excellence usually reserved for rock stars who bury "no brown M&Ms" clauses into their contracts.

Perhaps the most impressive hospitality/hotel I've ever experienced.

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Glen M

We heard you were traveling with triplets and we were so excited to provide you and your family an experience that you so well deserve. As a father of a 3 year old I can't even imagine traveling with triplets! Thanks for sharing your experience, we look forward to you returning for some more rock star treatment sometime in the near future.

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Loved loved this hotel! Especially the beautiful location. Room was lovely, clean, comfortable. We caught the wine tasting and had some wonderful ceviche on the deck outside the restaurant. I appreciated that this hotel had so much character and provided for a memorable experience. We rode bikes both days we were there. Great perk! We walked to town which was so convenient not to have to take a car and find parking. Portland is very popular and I was thrilled to visit. We will be back and like stay at The River Place.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Cathy040402
Reviewed 30 July 2014

My wife and I stayed several nights here in late June this year. Our room was really lovely, very clean, comfortable with a great king sized bed. We had just returned from a long stay in Belize, and it was really refreshing to be able to relax and unwind at the hotel. The room had a well stocked mini-bar and a selection of snacks, and it had very good wi-fi. The hotel breakfast in the riverside lounge was fabulous, with really friendly and quick service. I spent one rainy morning working in the comfortable hotel lounge which looked out onto the river, and had regular refills of hot coffee. It was quiet, relaxed and comfortable. Would highly recommend this hotel if you are spending a few days in Portland and are looking for some peace and comfort.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Wow that does sound relaxing! Your review reminded me of how special our location really is. I sometimes take it for granted but not today. I'm going to make it a point to get out of my windowless office today and work from one of those rocking chairs that overlooks the Willamette.