“I expected better with a top Trip Advisor rating”

Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Ranked #3 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 17 August 2014

I can't fault the service. The front desk staff and bellhops were all very nice and helpful. If service was it, I would highly recommend. But the hotel itself is a little worn. Our room was small and cramped for the money. The location is pretty--right on the water, but it is a bit out of the town center, so you need to walk or drive almost anywhere. For the cost, I would expect more. I would try somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,756)

Reviewed 16 August 2014

wow, disappointed...rooms small, courtroom view is a wall of other rooms,bathroom small, terrible shower, good bed however Retro decor may be ok for some. Stale odor, wine at 5 PM suggest you skip.....overall very disappointed.

Room Tip: quiet rooms, air conditioner good....................................
1  Thank chris o
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2014

I am so sorry you felt this way about your recent visit. We offer some of the largest guestrooms in the city and in my opinion some of the best views. I wish I could turn back the clock and make your visit to Portland a much more memorable one.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Location was perfect, water view, walking distance to shops, restaurants. Room was lovely, staff friendly and helpful.. We would definitely stay here again. Restaurant for breakfast was very good with a good view.

Reviewed 14 August 2014

The Kimpton brand is a bit quirky with decor but they are continuing the tradition of quality Riverplace is known for. We've stayed there many times and part of that decision is based on the fact that it is hard to beat the location on the river, close-by but not in the central business district. Prices have also changed and maybe that is true across the industry but it seems like a lot given what other high-end hotels are charging nearby, including their other two properties. We always enjoy Riverplace but the previous decor was more to our liking. Simplicity & elegance has given way to a heavy, male, "let's tie in to some of Portland's history" over-the-top aesthetic. Such a large expense to provide a look most of us would consider overdone and bulky. The spacious rooms seem smaller. That being said, the staff is excellent, the afternoon casual wine event is lovely, and we will continue to stay there, if we can get in for a reasonable price.

Room Tip: A view of the river is nice but all the rooms are good.
1  Thank Walters43
Reviewed 13 August 2014

My husband and I stayed here for three nights and had booked a great river view room. Other than the maddening heatwave in Portland, everything was fine except: 1) There's an overlap between Reception and Concierage in that when we were trying to check in, the receptionist was taking an inappropriate amount of time helping one guest with his schedule, resulting in a check-in wait of ten minutes! We also noticed that when we had luggage ready to depart the hotel, the two bellboys were nowhere to be found; one of them was chatting it up with a guest and unaware of our wait. In the restaurant at breakfast, a waitress with the best of attitude did not seem to be aware of our sitting down. In other words, you'd not find this kind of "casual" attitude at a finer hotel. We're used to Uber in cities and RiverPlace apologized several times that taxis that never came to pick us up. All said, though, I'd still choose this hotel over others because of it's perfect location.

Room Tip: Top floor, riverfront
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Ryan K, General Manager at Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Thanks for the feedback. I am sorry about the slow service you received. From the sound of things we could have been better staffed during your recent visit. I promise we will do a much better job upon your next visit. Hope to see you soon.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

On the hotel's defense, we stayed there on a particularly busy summer weekend, which meant very high rates for just an OK room. However, I think even at a better rate and time, we would still have been a bit disappointed.

On the positive side, the hotel has a nice location by the river (although, I think a downtown location is probably better for a visitor), the rooms are comfortable (if rather unexciting), and the staff is generally friendly and tries to be helpful. They offer coffee in the morning and they do complementary wine tastings in the afternoon.

However, I think the hotel needs to work on a number of areas. We were paying $437/night for Room 217, just $5 shy of $500/night when you include taxes and fees. For this price we got a room with no view, right next to a courtyard where a number of parties occurred in which attendees could look directly into our room, forcing us to keep most windows closed. The other windows had a lovely view of the parking lot. When we complained, the hotel offered to give us complementary parking but the fact is that this room was far from a good value.

While the staff was nice, they were often not entirely well trained. Three separate times, I was given directions to locations that proved to be in a different place than the ones marked on our map. Also, after we checked in, we found a bag of dirty socks in our closet from a previous guest. The housekeeper who brought the baby crib (a standard pack'n'play) did not know how to set it up and nearly hit our daughter with it.

Overall, the hotel was average. I will certainly explore other options next time I am in Portland.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room with a river view (or get low rate) when you make the reservation. Avoid room 2...
2  Thank Alberto625

After reading your review I can see how you would be disappointed. We have an all manager meeting today and I will be sure to share your review with our staff. We feel challenged to make everyone's stay a memorable one and clearly we left you disappointed in the value. I promise we will use your feedback to improve upon our services.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

On our first trip to Portland we were unable to book at the Marriott our favorite home away from home and found River Place Hotel on line. On arrival I was excited to see its beautiful location riverside downtown. On entering our room overlooking the Willamette I told my wife "we have a new winner"Until then the nicest stay we have had previously was at the San Francisco Mandarin Oriental top floor corner overlooking both the Bay Bridge,Golden Gate and Alcatraz. They are in second now.If the hospitality,professionalism and attention to detail did not match the room this would be a different review. It did. An effortless joyous stay that ended too soon.We are new to Kimpton but now loyal.

Room Tip: get a river view!
2  Thank tobyjade

Welcome to the Kimpton family! So glad you enjoyed that grand suite and it is now on the top of your list! I am also really excited to hear the service matched the great room with the view. See you soon.