“Great staff trapped in hohum surroundings”

Kimpton RiverPlace Hotel
Ranked #1 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 19 December 2010

The service at RiverPlace Hotel was fantastic! They turned what would have been a mediocre experience into one that was much above average. Unfortunately, the hotel itself is nothing special at all. It doesn't seem to be very old, but already it is showing signs of age. Another 10 years and the place will look pretty shabby I'm sure. Think standard chain hotel and you've got a pretty good mental image. Not bad, just simply not worth the #1 hotel in Portland distinction.

Can't say too much about the people who work there tough. Friendly without exception.

Management response:Responded 22 December 2010

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your comments regarding your visit to RiverPlace Hotel. We take guest feedback very seriously and appreciate when our guest take the time to write.

I was so pleased to learn that our team members provided such a high level of friendly, Northwest hospitality. Our team members take pride in delivering to each guest a warm, welcoming experience.

We continue to invest in RiverPlace to maintain our hotel at the level our guests have come to expect. In the next few months we will be upgrading our bedding package and adding new amenities that we know our guest will enjoy.

We hope you will visit Portland again and we would enjoy welcoming your back to RiverPlace.

Dave Murray

Reviewed 14 December 2010

I have been staying in this hotel for many years and I am always amazed that the service is always very , warm, friendly, and they just seem to remember you when you return...makes you feel very welcome. The restaurant has great food and the patio outside the bar has rocking chairs so you can do a lot of people watching!

My favorite area to stay in the hotel is what they call the residential suites. They have one and two bedrooms suites, with balconys that look over the river. They also have fireplaces and a great kitchen.

All I can say is no wonder this hotel is the number 1 recommended traveler hotel in Portland.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 December 2010

Superb accommodation reasonably priced with excellent and friendly service. Very elegnt with fantastic and comfortable beds. This place is a gem.

Reviewed 13 December 2010

turned a business trip into a post wedding 'mini moon'. first time to portland. loved the city and hotel. they had a bottle of champagne in our room for us after they learned we got married the day before. beautiful, clean and COMFORTABLE room (not much of a view in our room though). got a great deal on the room through expedia - while the hotel is WONDERFUL i would have had a hard time justifying a regular rate river place. ate breakfast and lunch at three degrees - yummy!! staff was wonderful and incredibly accommodating. took care of a noisy dog next door to us within minutes. it was cool and rainy while we were in town and we enjoyed a night cozied up in the room watching movies - the front desk has a HUGE selection of movies. it was perfect for a mini moon. like most reviews have said, don't pay for parking at river place. a block down the street is parking for $12/day and about three blocks down the street you can get it for about $6/day (no such thing as free parking in portland - and if you're parking downtown, take lots of silver coins). great spa on the river front, next door to hotel that i had a wonderful massage at while my husband was in meetings one day. we spent one morning at multnomah falls, about 30 minutes from the city and its absolutely BEAUTIFUL - don't miss it!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 10 December 2010

I have a special story to share with you, and it is going to have to be a two part tale, for the ending is still yet to be foreseen, but with the help of RiverPlace and their wonderful, informed, and intuitive staff...the conclusion is all but foregone.

With just the simplest of things they truly made our stay perfect, and only not for what they did, but also how they did it. From printing up maps giving directions to various restaurants, and even friends homes(all in outlying areas!), to making up the fire for us while we made one last trip to their well built business center, which was also well equipped and fully stocked!

I have a long time friend who is very special to me, and she has just finished 5 years of service in the Army, and not only is she a war hero to me, but apparently the military also agrees, and awarded her numerous honors as an Airborne Ranger! Wow! I have known her for over 12 years now, and some of the stories she told me off her time in Iraq(at least the ones she is allowed to discuss) where very hair-raising indeed. And she never bragged or even did anything but give all the credit to her fellow Rangers.

Deeper did my respect, along with me gratitude, for this woman grow, so deeply that it blossomed into Love...again. For this visit to Portland was part of our 2nd chance at our first Romance, and everything RiverPlace did for us was spectacular, and showed the fine young lady how much I cared she had a great Thanksgiving, and so did everyone there.

I support our troops in as many ways as I can afford, and from WW2 vets, to those of this present day, they will always be able to count on me for at least a smile and a handshake, if not a warm hug. It is the least I feel any of us can do, and with this year being so tough on people from all walks of life, I'd like to remind everyone reading this that while they may not agree with the military, our Veterans deserve our respect, if not our lives that they fight so honorably to protect.

I then had a tiny idea form, and from it sprang this plan, "how about making one soldiers Holidays a little bit more fun?" It isn't as though she is wounded, not that I could tell, or short on money, but I just wanted to play Santa Clause, and treat her to the nicest bed and "quarters" she has "bunked" in for years! She has been in treated well by the Army, but come on, they don't set you up in a suite like this one, no way!

So we ate, drank and visited with her family the 1st night, to come home(yes it felt like home)to our bed turned down and the most delicious chocolates to go with our Merlot...perfect. She LOVES chocolate!

And after shopping all day the 2nd day we re-charged with a quick nap, and went out for some fun at Big Al's only to return to yet more chocolates and even a nice roaring fire in our fireplace, how romantic, and thoughtful!

You gave us a very warm, and welcome feeling at RiverPlace, and your tree in the Restaurant was so nice and home-style, everything was just right.

I want to send a special Thank You to George(the Concierge)for all his help in making this a wonderful step in the right direction, you are the guy to call in Portland, that's for sure!

Thank you all again, and we look forward to seeing you next time we are in Portland....have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year, Aloha...C.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2010

My wife and I travel extensively for business and pleasure -- averaging more than 150 nights per year world-wide. We routinely stay at some of the worlds best hotels and resorts and are accustomed to the best properties and amenities. Our recent stay at Riverplace was simply phenomenal. Trust my recommendation when I tell you that Riverplace represents the best of the best. Everything from the friendly staff and customer-friendly approach to doing business; the quality of the room and the first-class amenities; the riverfront location and easy access to all the Portland has to offer makes the Riverplace our new favorite property. Trust all the great reviews here on tripadvisor and treat yourself to a night of blissful pleasures.

1  Thank OregonDuck3951
Reviewed 9 December 2010

we had a great stay the staff was wonderful the room was very nice and the room service was fantastic. I give an A+....