The Heathman Hotel
Sentinel(Portland)
Very Good 4/5
  • Room Service
2,295 results
All reviewsfrench presssymphony suitehistoric hotelturn down serviceroom servicevalet parkingrooms are smallmini barwonderful hotelheart of downtownthe location is perfectstreet noisecorner roompioneer squarevisit portlandthe pearlfew blocks
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 15 October 2011

Arriving at The Heathman to check-in mid-day on a Tuesday with our friends the valets were attentive and check-in staff friendly and efficient. The weird thing was that there weren't any bell-hops lingering to assist with our luggage. My thought was "doesn't someone want to make some $$$"??? Not really a problem, but a hotel with a higher level reputation, the lack of bell hops is unusual. The same thing occurred with check-out. No bell hops and self-serve seemed the way to go. When leaving, I questioned the valet. He seemed perplexed and said that the concierges (ie: front desk staff) were in charge of this area. Not very efficient nor evident, but perhaps it's a Portland casual type of thing.

Our corner room was roomy, clean, with 2 sinks (!) in the bathroom. Although noisy since we faced Broadway, but apparently, every room is supplied with earplugs. Our friends' room faced the opposite direction and their room was quiet with similar amenities.

It seems all check-in/out staff serve as concierges and will provide restaurant suggestions, attraction ideas and directions. They were good with restaurant ideas, but do NOT trust their directions. Twice we were lead on wild goose chases for our destination and because we on foot it got frustrating. We had two separate concierges give us wrong directions to the food carts. We only found out where they were by asking a person on the street, scads of blocks from where we were directed to go. You bet we were hungry!

Yes, we would go back since the location is fabulous, staff friendly, beds comfortable and restaurant is good. Now we have a much better idea of Portland's layout and Radio Cab's phone number, thus, putting us in charge of directions. Nice hotel.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are larger and suites both have the bathrooms with 2 sinks. If sensitive to noise ask to not be on Broadway.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2011

Stayed here one night for business and really enjoyed it. The location is great - walking distance to downtown shops like the Columbia flagship store. The doormen are accommodating and friendly, and I was checked into my room in less than 5 minutes after I was asked if I preferred a hard or soft bed. The room was decent size, bathroom a bit small, but very clean and well decorated overall. There are nice details throughout - L'Occitane products in the bathroom, a French press and ground coffee with a kettle, turn-down service with a free bottle of water and bucket of ice, and free wireless access. The hotel itself has some cool features - a beautiful sitting room near the check-in area and a superb chocolate store with a friendly, knowledgeable young employee who explained the myriad delicious and unique products from around the world (great gifts to take home). I look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 October 2011

I've stayed at this wonderful hotel twice, and had an equally great experience both times. Before even entering the lobby, the doormen, dressed in old fashioned top hats and Beefeater attire, are welcoming and helpful, as they valet park the car. The lobby is elegant, rich, and very beautiful. We did have to wait for our room, as it was a busy weekend, but waiting in the ultra gorgeous cocktail/tea area made it completely painless.This hotel is historic, lovely, has excellent service, excellent food, fantastic drinks. There are wood paneled rooms filled with author signed books, and lots of nooks and crannies to cozy up and read or relax. The rooms themselves are plush, large enough, and luxurious enough. The only issue i had with comfort was adjusting the air conditioning- seemed to shut off, despite my turning it down as low as it could go. I could go on and on abou this wonderful place.. but suffice it to say.. I will return! Romantic.. great.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 October 2011

When I returned from dinner on the first night of my two night stay I couldn’t get back into my room. I went to reception to let them know and they explained they had checked another person into it while I was out. I was in disbelief. I had unpacked earlier and everything was in that room. They told me the new guest had repacked my luggage and they had it beside reception. My work documents, laptop and passport were still in the safe. I explained that I had to get these back immediately as I had to prepare for my meeting in the morning. I was told the new guest was already in bed, but they had requested a wake-up call so they would try to retrieve the items before my meeting. I was beyond furious and complained vehemently for the next hour. With my room gone and no access to my work documents I did not get to sleep that night. Hotel staff went into the safe in the morning and brought me the contents, but there were still items in the room. I said I needed everything back but was told the guest was now on a conference call and was not to be disturbed and that I would have to wait. Unbelievable! I had to leave for my meeting and with no sleep that night and no time to prepare my day was a disaster. I returned late that evening expecting an apology but received nothing. When I went to check-out the next morning I was asked if I had a good stay. I explained what had happened, surprised she did not know. They offered to provide a partial discount on the cost of the stay back to the company that sent me. I said that was not enough given what happened, so to my surprise they still billed the company for two full nights. I was mad and the lady told me she would raise it with senior management as I left for my flight.

The disgraceful act of giving someone else access to a checked-in room and the invasion of privacy, and risk of safety and security that goes with that is completely unacceptable. The lack of customer service from numerous hotel staff members in dealing with the situation was atrocious. I was contacted by the director of guest relations after I had left, but it was too little and too late. Even with an offer to try to make it up to me if I stay there again and assurance that it won’t happen again I am still too bitter to return particularly as there are many better options in Portland including the Hotel Monaco Portland, Hotel Lucia, and The Benson.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
21  Thank Muninn
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 November 2011

Dear Muninn,

I am so sorry for the experience you had while staying at our hotel. I am the one that spoke to you a year ago when this incident occured and would be more than happy to discuss this further with you. Please feel free to contact me at lreagan@heathmanhotel.com. We take pride in ensuring that every guest leaves our hotel happy and wanting to come back. I apologize again that was not the outcome when you left.

Best Regards,

Linda Reagan

Reviewed 30 September 2011

We stayed in Portland on a through visit from Seattle to south Oregon - the Heathman, whilst in perhaps a more sterile part of the downtown section excelled particularly in one part, their outstanding customer service - as a visitor from the UK I thought the bellhop's uniform of a beefeater outfit as a bit twee (I do feel sorry for them having to wear that get-up in hot weather!) but criticism of them ends there - the concierge(s) ability to second guess what we wanted, recommend restaurants and book them with an air of absolutely no trouble to them is to be commended. it's a shame that on both nights we were there, the hotel bar stopped serving at 11pm.
This aside, I would certainly return to the Heathman.

• Stayed: September 2011