“A dignified establishment that has aged well and tries hard, but there were a few problems”
Review of The Heathman Hotel

The Heathman Hotel
Ranked #25 of 139 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
San Jose, California
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I stayed at the Heathman a couple of months ago (October 2011), for the first time since the 1980s (although I've eaten at the excellent restaurant several times). I'm not sure I will want to go back. But let me explain why, because there are still excellent reasons for others to stay there.

The main reason I feel reservations about returning is the room size. I opted for the least expensive room category and, although it was well appointed, it was cramped (and I'm a former bicycle racer and not your average large American, so I wonder how the meat-and-potatoes crowd would cope). The bathroom was an especially tight squeeze. It's as well engineered as an airplane lavatory, but it needs to be, because it feels about as big. I have seen other rooms at the Heathman that are larger and certainly at the time (this was in the 1980s) beautifully appointed. So I recommend spending the extra money for a room that's above the modest category I went for. I could afford to do the same, but out of some nebulous principle I dislike spending above a certain amount for any hotel room, since I regard it as basically a place to sleep.

There were a couple of minor glitches too. I found a hair in the bathtub, which I didn't much mind. I merely called it to the attention of the cleaning staff, who seemed appreciative that I'd alerted them to it. The shower handles are difficult to operate and when I called the housekeeping staff they had a ready script about how to turn on the water, so obviously I'm not the only person so challenged. When I made the reservation I was delighted to be asked if I wanted one of three types of beds, and I asked for a Tempur-Pedic, which I've always been curious to try; but my room came with a soft pillow-top bed.

The staff are friendly, professional, and attentive. There are fine French soaps and high-quality shampoo. Really, this is a fine hotel and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for those willing to spend more money to stay in one of the nicer rooms. Just don't be a cheapskate like me.

Room Tip: See my detailed review.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
6 Thank Mtnbiker2

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 25 December 2011

We spent four nights at the Heathman over the Christmas holiday. We arrived very early from the airport and unfortunately there were no rooms ready. We were fine to wait and were rewarded with an upgrade to the Warhol suite. We loved the pop art decor. The suite had two bathrooms and a comfy couch to relax on during our morning French press coffee time. The staff was very friendly and we had no complaints with anything. The Heathman is obviously a center of Portland holiday festivities. We enjoyed the hustle and bustle of the daily high teas and the busy dinner and happy hours in the lounge. The location is perfect for getting anywhere in the city.

• Stayed December 2011
1 Thank JPR2003
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 25 December 2011

My wife and I spent Christmas Eve at The Heathman and it was an enjoyable stay in a lovely room. When I made the reservation online, I'd requested a "quiet room on the highest floor possible". When we arrived to check in, they were aware of the request (shocker!) and gave us a room at the end of the hall on the top floor. The room itself was beautifully decorated in warm earth tones and was stocked quite full of top-quality amenities. And it was gloriously quiet. We will be back.

• Stayed December 2011
DC
Reviewed 22 December 2011

The Heathman lobby isn't that impressive but the wood-paneled room off of the lobby looks like it belongs in an English manor. Rooms vary and although mine was a decent size (it was a corner room), the layout was a bit weird. There was a complete bathroom and then a separate sink/large vanity near the closet. The shower is very, very hard to figure out how to operate and there isn't a sign explaining how to turn the water on/off (pull the handle out from the wall). Although the hotel prides itself on excellent service, the clerks at the front desk often weren't familiar with hotel policies and procedures.

Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank YuppieonaShoeString
Hays, Kansas
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Loved this hotel, it's location, service & amenities! Would stay here over & over (have twice), plus the Cacoa boutique chocolate store is located in hotel, along w/ an amazing restaurant & bar! If you sign up for the Portland walking your, it meets @ the Heathman & is one of the best ways to see the city! I highly recommend it!!

• Stayed January 2011
portland, oregon
Reviewed 16 December 2011

The Heathman is one of the classiest places to stay. They do it right. You are greeted at the front door with attentiveness and it never stops. The hotel prides itself on being very attentive and professional. I was so impressed with the coffee and tea service in the room, turn down service, cleanliness and just all the little details. The beds, pillows and comforter were perfect. The rooms are worth the price because it's not just a room. It's an experience. The restaurant is another thing. Not impressed with the restaurant at all but the hotel is fantastic.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ron B
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed 16 December 2011

We have stayed here a few times and we are always impressed with the level of service. We have a company party here every year for the holidays, and they treat us very well.

Room Tip: Ask for corner room. There is a separate sink area with the closet that allows for more room gettin...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business