“Great Hotel Central location”
Review of The Heathman Hotel

The Heathman Hotel
Ranked #24 of 144 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 30 January 2012

The Heathman is a wonderful hotel located in the Portland central business district.
The rooms are not large but ample and luxurious.
The staff are very helpful, it's near the transit lines and several very good restaurants as well as the one in the hotel itself.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Dear Tardawg,

Thank you so much for sharing your comments. We are so happy to hear you enjoyed the hotel and Portland.

Linda Reagan

Write a ReviewReviews (2,200)

Reviewed 20 January 2012

The staff was very helpful and friendly. They always greeted us by name. We booked an executive king suite. The room was comfortable. You have a choice of the type of bed when oyu book. (very nice touch). Although we had a corner room with nice wrap around windows, we were in Room 405, above the hotel gym. The room was very quiet at night and no street noise, however the TV from below in the gym was blaring on a Sunday morning. I would therefore recommend the same line of room but on a higher floor.

NIce Jazz playing on Friday night, and don't miss the chocolate shop attached to the hotel.

Room Tip: Do not book Room 405, which is above the hotel gym and you can hear the TV blaring in the morning...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear ksg12,

Thank you for your kind words about the hotel and staff. The "05" rooms are my favorite rooms, they are spacious and the view is great. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us while in Portland. I do apologize that you were able to hear the television from the fitness suite. The fitness suite is slated for a renovation this year and some soundproofing will be added. Until this project is complete I will make sure the staff is checking this room frequently to ensure the television is kept at an acceptable level.
Thank you again for your feedback and we can't wait to have you as our guest again soon.

Linda Reagan

Reviewed 16 January 2012

I recently Stayed one night at the lovely Heathman Hotel, it was Jaunuary 7th and a special day to me and a few friends. We were treated with smiling and extremely accommodating staff, and a beautiful, well decorated,CLEAN room!!
I am very impressed with the check-in staff who helped us to our room and explained the amenities of the hotel without being overly informative. The bar staff that evening was so sweet and attentive. we had an extra bed brought to the room that night by a lady Named Dora and she was absolutely a joy to speak with. Not only did she arrange the bed, but brought extra towels and slippers for us all with the biggest smile on her face.
Thank you for a wonderful experience!

Room Tip: Make sure you are specific with what you want, the Hotel has different types of suites, and beds as...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sarah G
Reviewed 15 January 2012

From the moment we arrived at the Heathman, I knew it was going to be a different kind of hotel experience. The personal concierge was immediately helpful in helping us decide where to go for lunch, and we weren't even checked in yet! We were given a history of the hotel on the way up to our room and the woman rooming us was extremely friendly and talkative. The room was very nice, and I was surprised at how comfortable the feather bed was, it was unlike any hotel bed I have ever slept on. The room was extremely clean and well stocked with towels, glasses, complimentary slippers, tea and coffee, as well has an electric kettle and french press. We had a room with 2 beds, but had one extra person, but that wasn't a problem! An incredibly helpful, polite, and friendly woman named Dora brought us a "fold-away" bed that was just as nice as the beds that came with the room. After a great lunch at near by burger joint Violettas (get the Oregonzola fries, so delicious!), We took a short walking tour of downtown Portland, and visited the new farmers market that has been set up one block from the Heathman! Once we returned to the hotel, we were delighted to learn that there would be a live jazz band performing in the dining room later that night. While we weren't entirely impressed by the female vocalist's rendition of Home on the Range, it wasn't enough to ruin our night. We went into the bar to order drinks and dessert and the bar staff was fun, helpful, and upbeat. We ordered dessert while we were there as well and the Chocolate Gourmandise was so good I refused to speak with anyone except the Gourmandise until it was gone. It was by far the best thing I have ever eaten in my entire life. After one of the most restful nights sleep I've had in a long time, I was very happy to find L'Occitane shampoo, conditioner, soap and lotion. High brand products for a high brand hotel. Since I only live a short distance from the hotel, and rarely find a reason to spend a night downtown, I won't be able to visit as often as I would like, but my entire family lives out of town, and I will recommend the Heathman to them when they are in town for a visit.

Room Tip: Don't forget that in addition to the bed menu, you can also choose the type of pillows you would...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank BreezyLou2
Reviewed 15 January 2012

The gentleman who checked me in was very pleasant and informative. When he delivered boxes to my room, he brought scissors without me asking for them and anticipated that I will need assistance in opening them. He also brought bottled water and ice. When we dined in the restaurant, my colleague toasted to my birthday. The server overheard our conversation and she brought a special dessert with a birthday candle and greeting to our table! The front desk team was always helpful with directions, restaurant recommendations and the valet staff was prompt and courteous. The bathroom in my room was small but the great service compensates for this. It was also great to know that I can choose the type of bed I wanted. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank In2Hotels
Reviewed 29 December 2011

The Heathman is one of our favorite Portland Hotels. Located in the heart of downtown it is within walking distance of the city's best dining, shopping and arts attractions. The service is consistently good and the rooms are comfortably appointed. This refined and historic gem is a Portland Treasure.

Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IronBlosam
Reviewed 27 December 2011

I stayed at the Heathman a couple of months ago (October 2011), for the first time since the 1980s (although I've eaten at the excellent restaurant several times). I'm not sure I will want to go back. But let me explain why, because there are still excellent reasons for others to stay there.

The main reason I feel reservations about returning is the room size. I opted for the least expensive room category and, although it was well appointed, it was cramped (and I'm a former bicycle racer and not your average large American, so I wonder how the meat-and-potatoes crowd would cope). The bathroom was an especially tight squeeze. It's as well engineered as an airplane lavatory, but it needs to be, because it feels about as big. I have seen other rooms at the Heathman that are larger and certainly at the time (this was in the 1980s) beautifully appointed. So I recommend spending the extra money for a room that's above the modest category I went for. I could afford to do the same, but out of some nebulous principle I dislike spending above a certain amount for any hotel room, since I regard it as basically a place to sleep.

There were a couple of minor glitches too. I found a hair in the bathtub, which I didn't much mind. I merely called it to the attention of the cleaning staff, who seemed appreciative that I'd alerted them to it. The shower handles are difficult to operate and when I called the housekeeping staff they had a ready script about how to turn on the water, so obviously I'm not the only person so challenged. When I made the reservation I was delighted to be asked if I wanted one of three types of beds, and I asked for a Tempur-Pedic, which I've always been curious to try; but my room came with a soft pillow-top bed.

The staff are friendly, professional, and attentive. There are fine French soaps and high-quality shampoo. Really, this is a fine hotel and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for those willing to spend more money to stay in one of the nicer rooms. Just don't be a cheapskate like me.

Room Tip: See my detailed review.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled solo