“Would Gladly Stay Here Anytime”
Review of The Heathman Hotel

The Heathman Hotel
Ranked #25 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 1 March 2012

My wife and I chose the Heathman for our wedding night and chose to return last year for our anniversary. We enjoy the rooms, they are well adorned if quaint. The restaurant downstairs is excellent, one of my favorites in Portland, with great food and great service (and I don't say that often about service). Their Sunday brunch is especially good. We'll gladly stay here anytime.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2012

Dear Husky_In_Oregon,

I am so happy to hear that you celebrated those special times with us. I look forward to serving you next year for your 2nd anniversary, or for anytime in the next year when you feel the need to get pampered. Thank you for the kind review.

Linda Reagan

Write a ReviewReviews (2,247)

Reviewed 22 February 2012

I loved the Heathman, the location and staff were superb! It was very crowded and the lounge is a bit small for a busy holiday weekend (we were there President's day) and the menu in the restaurant was a bit too sophisticated for my 18 yr old son. The bistro menu is only allowed in the lounge and it was packed. I think this is due to a law prohibiting adults under 21 near the bar. Anyway, the beds were excellent and the room was lovely as expected. We didn't care for the bathroom, as other travelers have noted. The toilet/shower is far too tiny for a luxury hotel, it was an issue when traveling with a teen who wants privacy. However, the concierge were so helpful and friendly. The only reason I wouldn't give it an Excellent is the size of the bathroom!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2012

Dear ddd1017,

I am so happy that you enjoyed the staff and the hotel. We have the best guest services staff in Portland. I am sorry to hear that you were not satisfied with the size of the bathroom in your guest room. We have many room types to choose from and each of our rooms is configured a little bit differently. I am sure on your next visit we will find a room that will be a little more comfortable for you and your son. Please feel free to contact me prior to your next visit and I will assist you in getting the perfect room for you. I look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

Only stayed one night and was quite tired from Amtrax so can't give a full review. However the reception area was very nice as was the room. The room was well decorated and clean and had great coffee. Mini bar had plenty of choice if you are willing to spend that sort of money! Wandered down to bar area but was difficult to see where you could just get a drink from as found restaurant and lounge area where a jazz band where playing , but nowhere obvious for just a drink. Very near train station which was good for us. Seemed to be in a good location but we didn't wander far and left early the next day. Room was very good for relaxing in. Staff helpful and friendly. It is expensive but then it a higher end hotel , not overpriced. Would like to stay longer next time.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Cmurraymint,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review for us and pass on your feedback, even after a long trip. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your room and the staff. I am sorry to hear that you did not find our Marble Bar when you went downstairs to get a drink. We have a great Tea Lounge where there is live jazz; we also have a Marble Bar that is around the corner that is a little quieter for a relaxing drink. On your next stay we will make sure you know where that is located. I hope you have time to explore Portland a bit on your next stay as well. Let us know when you plan to return and our concierge will plan some great activities for you.

Reviewed 21 February 2012

What a great Hotel. (Ok, we were lucky and recieved an unexpected upgrade to the Junior Suite) but every aspect of the Heathman was beyond reproach. Our room was top notch. I appreciate a Tempur-pedic mattress, truly I do. The staff were professional and gracious without ever feeling stuffy. The breakfast was wonderful after an evening on the town. Loaction cannot be better.
As you walk through the door of the Heathman you feel as if your are being transformed to an earlier age of elegance. Be sure to have a glass of wine and listen to a little late night jazz before you head off to bed. I reccomend highly.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Dear NewportOregonian,

I am so happy to hear that you had such a wonderful stay at our hotel. I am glad that you enjoyed the upgrade as well. We have many great room types including 4 new one bedroom suites that were just added to our room collection. It is great that you had a chance to enjoy the jazz with some wine while you were here; we also have a nice wine reception in our library Monday-Thursday evenings. I hope you have an opportunity to enjoy that on your next stay.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Just had a wonderful two night Girl's weekend in Portland. We drove from Seattle on Friday night, and arrived late...the Heathman had our beds turned down and welcomed us warmly upon our arrival. We had booked a suite for three women, which was perfect for a roomy, comfortable and posh experience. The central location and amazing service of this hotel cannot be beat. We were looking for a spa in the neighborhood, and they found us three last minute appointments. They are on top of any request you have and immediately delivered special pillows and an order in menu when we asked for them. I can't recommend the Heathman strongly enough for anyone looking for a great downtown hotel.

Room Tip: The suites are huge and plush, if you have more than two people, I highly recommend reserving one!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Dear kes654,

Thank you so much for your kind words about our hotel and staff. We are so happy you enjoyed your "Girl's Weekend" in Portland and that you liked your suite. We look forward to helping you plan you next get away weekend.

Reviewed 12 February 2012

Excellent Boutique Hotel in the heart of Portland that emphasizes attention to detail

Pros:
Excellent service top to bottom
Room are very well decorated and well appointed - coffee presses for example
Excellent restaurant in the hotel
Great location in the heart of the city and next to the Concert Hall
Room was immaculate
Quiet given the location

Cons:
Rooms and particularly the Bathrooms are rather small

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PDXcoffeetraveler
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2012

Dear PDXCoffeetraveler,

I am so happy to hear you had a great stay with us. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am glad you had so many Pros to list about your stay. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future.

Reviewed 10 February 2012

I travel to Portland on a monthly basis, and I always stay at the Heathman. The staff is warm and gracious. They love telling guests about their city and where to go and what to do. The rooms are warm and inviting, and the restaurant / lounge are a wonderful place to eat, drink, meet friends and of course, relax. The location is great for those with a car or not. It is truly my home away from home when I am in Portland.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Dear Brian P,

We love that you make the Heathman your home away from home. Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. Please let the team know if there is anything we can do to assist you while you are in Portland. We will see you soon.