“Earplugs supplied, for a reason”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Heathman Hotel

The Heathman Hotel
Ranked #25 of 139 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Toronto, Canada
“Earplugs supplied, for a reason”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

I stayed at the Heathman for 4 nights in April. It's a lovely old hotel and my business partner was impressed I had booked the place and got the rate I did.

The lobby is intimate and check-in was fast. Despite it being an older building I rarely waited long for an elevator in the lobby or on my floor.

The rooms are nice, well appointed and comfy. They are not big by any description, but not "fall on the bed as soon as you walk in" small.

I liked the bar and happy hour food and beer prices, and they have one of the nicest restaurants in the downtown area. Breakfast was great one morning, though I have my doubts the smoked salmon hash was really smoked salmon. Think it was just salmon.

All in all, very, very nice. But ...

The supplied earplugs are for a reason. The walls are very thin, made worse by those cursed adjoining room doors. I could make out even a normal conversation when people moved in next to me. Thankfully they weren't a touring Motley Crue tribute band. Why do hotels not, at least, ensure those doors are soundproofed and bottom gaps filled?

I was in 514, middle of the floorplate, facing the street. WiFi was TERRIBLE. Consistently terrible and of no use. I had to go down the hall to the elevator lobby to get coverage. The staff reset the routers on the floor but that made no difference. It's free, which is great, but in this case you get what you are not paying for. Wifi was fine in the lobby and restaurant/bar.

I did not use valet parking because it was not at all clear how that would shake out. The front door is at a corner on one of downtown's busiest streets and there was usually a car or two there. Where would you stop to get valet'd?

There is secure public parking across the street, but they nail your budget butt even for parking after six and leaving before 8 the next morning.

Room Tip: Don't count on wifi working for you
1 Thank canuck169
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Dear Canuck169,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us. It is always wonderful to hear such great comments about the Restaurant. I am sorry to hear that some of our services feel short of expectations but we are appreciative of your perspective. Being a centrally located, downtown Hotel, we do experience some added noise. I apologize that your time spent with us was a disrupted one. We would look forward to welcoming you back and giving you a tour of some different room types, so that we can find the one that suits best. Additionally, if we have the pleasure of welcoming you back, we would be happy to help with our valet services. That is one busy corner to manage, but our front door staff is great at welcoming you in and assisting with your automobile. Thank you for bringing this review to our attention, if you plan to come back to the Heathman please feel free to contact me personally – I would welcome the chance to personally ensure your stay is perfect.

Administrative Assistant

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
Baltimore, MD and NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

The staff are fantastic and go out of their way to be helpful. The hotel is historic and charming. Wifi is free (and appreciated). Their is live jazz some nights. We ate room service which was restaurant food and delicious: a new menu arrives under your door daily.
There is valet overnight parking for $29 but apparently a garage nearby is $15/night (or so). They were upfront about it.
Location is walkable to many great restaurants and it is next to a performing arts theater.

Only drawback is smaller rooms, great for couples, less great for couples with a toddler. The bathroom is tiny. It's just that it has the bones of an older hotel but otherwise very clean and updated. That is the only reason it's 4 instead of 5 stars. If it was just us as a couple it gets 5 stars because of the ambiance, location and superb service from valet to the restaurant to the front desk staff. They also are kind enough to check in your car seat so it doesn't take up space in the hotel room which helped.
One note was our room wasn't cleaned by 4pm one day after a long day out. That seems like a staffing issue but may have just been on the one day. Maybe a no show or they are chronically understaffed but it was the only day that happened.
Great place if you are a planning a trip to Portland. We would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: You could ask if any rooms have larger bathrooms. It was tight for two people trying to get ready.
Dear GlennBaltimore,

The Heathman is a unique historic property and we strive to evoke the era that the hotel was created, as we are one of the few remaining properties in Portland from this time. As you noted, a few of the bathroom sizes are a bit smaller than their modern equivalents. We would look forward to welcoming you back and giving you a tour of some different room types, so that we can find the one that suits best. Thank you for bringing this review to our attention, if you plan to come back to the Heathman please feel free to contact me personally – I would welcome the chance to personally ensure your stay is perfect.

Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

Downtown Portland is beautiful. Great sites to see, shops, restaurants. parks etc. The Heathman Hotel is so classy and beautiful. The suites are breath taking and ellegant, very comfortable beds. We can't wait to go again.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Dear Angela A,

I am so happy to hear that you had such a lovely stay with us! We appreciate your kind reviews and point of view. We take pride in providing top class service and it is always so nice to see that reflected in our guest reviews. Thank you for taking the time to submit a review – we look forward to having you as a guest in the future.

Florence, Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

The good news is that this is a well located, solid hotel with a great staff, wonderful restaurant and good beds. The bad news is that the rooms were redecorated in a kind of dark, drab furniture that is disconcerting. The amenities are mostly very good, but the basic internet connection provided for free is very, very slow. The fitness facility is extremely basic lacking mats and heavier weights; for a modest $10 guests may go to the Hilton across the street.

The restaurant is terrific in terms of food though the decor is uninspired. The wait staff in the restaurant was wonderful.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money for a king suite on the corner
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Tom B
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Thank you for your review following your stay with us. It is always wonderful to hear such great comments about the staff, both at the Hotel and in the Restaurant. I am sorry to hear that some of our services fell short of expectations but we appreciate your perspective. Our design and eclectic furnishings throughout each guest room and the public spaces detail a variety of genres. With that said every space is different and we apologize that your room was not quite to your taste. We would look forward to welcoming you back and giving you a tour of some different room types, so that we can find the one that suits best. When you come back to the Heathman please feel free to contact me – I would welcome the chance to personally ensure your stay is perfect.

Best,

Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

I had booked my weekended with The Nines orginally for my Bday weekend. I called the NInes to see if I could upgrade and they were overbooked and rude. In tears I called the Heathman and explained I needed an upscale place for my birthday and how terrible I was treated by the Nines. The Heathman was exceptional. The conceierge emailed my twice before I even got there to assure me everything would be taken care of-eventhough I booked within 24 hours!
I was greated by Andre the bellman who was a breath of fresh air, fun and even told us places to go out. Kirsten at the front desk was an angel! Making sure we had an extra bed, joking with us and even carried our bags. Each day I would look for Kirsten and Andre as they treated us like VIP Guests. I will be coming back to this hotel when I visit Portland as that was the best service I have ever recieved from a hotel and I am an event planner and have stayed in thousands of hotels! I had a terific bday weekend and it was all because of the service provided by Kirsten and Andre.Thank you both of you for making my birthday weekend mermorable and perfect. You make the Heathman an upskale hotel! XOXO

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kelli J
Dear Kelli J,

We are so pleased you enjoyed your stay! Our front door and personal concierge staff are always eager to assist, and I am so glad you experienced some of their fine service. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and hope you have further Birthday celebrations here at The Heathman. Thank you again for submitting this review and glad we helped make your weekend away one not to forget!

Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 April 2012

Sure, I could have banked 5000 points at the place across the street, but when you have an opportunity to stay in a beautiful historic hotel like the Heathman, you just have to do it.
Outstanding locaion right downtown.

There is nothing that the chains do better than the Heathman. Super freindly attentive staff, outstanding decor, and the amenities you need. FREE internet, clean comfortable room (with the option to choose the type of bed you want...too cool). I didn't use them, but there is a fitness center, restaraunt and business center. I did take advantage of the free wine tasting in the library....nice touch.

The one thing I feared about staying in a 1920's hotel is noise, but turned out to be a non issue because they have sealed the original windows behind a set of modern windows. I can barely hear the street as I sit here on the 8th floor.

I paid the same rate that I was quoted across the street BUT...the Heathman included Valet Parking. That was at least a $30 savings.

Love it. Will stay again when I come back to Portland.

Room Tip: ask for a rate that includes Valet Parking
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, 9 April 2012
Dear R&G-Opine,

I am so happy to hear you had such a great stay. Thank you for taking the time to write such a great review. Hopefully next time you stay with us you can try our restaurant. It is one of the best in the city. It is nice to hear how much you enjoyed the staff and the "art of sleep" menu. We do take great pride in providing the best service and it is nice to see you are enjoying it. Also, we do partner with some major airlines; in fact currently we are running a promotion for double airline mileage if you book a qualifying rate.
We look forward to having you as our guest again soon.

Best Regards,

Linda Reagan
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2012

My partner and I were forced from our home overnight due to a remodel project and decided to stay downtown at The Heathman. Wow! From the minute we checked in till we left, everyone said hello and was genuinely friendly. We truly felt like guests in our own city. The room was comfortable and the bed...amazing. We had a pre-dinner drink by the fire while the jazz musician set up. Then dinner at the restuarant was excellent as usual. I can always count on the Sweetbreads!
Staying at the Heathman was a great idea, we got to walk around the city after dinner and see it as a tourist. It is close to everything and you get a real sense of the vibrancy of Portland.
Our kudos to the Heathman team, if we had to stay another night due to the remodel, well, it might be worth it!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear jhmpdx,

I am so glad you chose The Heathman Hotel as your home away from home during your remodel project. It is nice to hear that you had such a great time and got to enjoy the city in a new way. We do have a fantastic city and having a staycation is a great way to explore the city while getting pampered. I hope the remodel project went well and you are settled back into your home. We look forward to having you as our guest in the future. Thank you for taking the time to submit a review.

Warm Regards,