“I LIKE THIS PLACE - again”
Review of The Heathman Hotel

The Heathman Hotel
Ranked #26 of 140 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Wyoming
“I LIKE THIS PLACE - again”
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We stayed here last year and decided to stay again - and it was still great. I have read a few bad reviews and sometimes things just don't work out the way you want when traveling. And sure the Heathman has a few warts (like some rooms only have a view of some kind of wild looking dragon mural painted on the building next door), but on balance I think the Heathman is GREAT!

Comfortable, well appointed rooms. Prompt and pleasant staff. Great location. Great restaurant. And I think a good value.

I don't give out many 5 stars, but the Heathman deserves this one.

Cheue`

Room Tip: Nonstreet side doesn't have much of a view, but they are nice and quiet.
1 Thank cheue444
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, 31 July 2012
Dear Cheue,

Many thanks for your great review. It is wonderful to read feedback from our guests; we really appreciate your support and kind words. The Heathman prides itself on being unique boutique and your comments represented that wonderfully! We hope that you continue to make the Heathman a favorite destination while in Portland. We look very forward to welcoming you back and would be pleased to help you with your reservations and/or planning your trip. Feel free to contact us directly the next time you are coming to Portland!

Linda Reagan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (402)
Reviewed 26 July 2012

Great location. Perfect for a night at the concert hall, or a business trip. Very clean hotel.

Bed was adequate. Plenty of pillows, clean sheets. Pet friendly, although this was a business trip, so I didn't bring a pet.

Service was excellent. Restaurant and lounge areas were accessible and cozy.

Internet was slow. Acceptable for checking email, not fast enough for web surfing, definitely not for streaming.

Bathroom was small, but had plenty of luxury amenities such as quality soaps, lotion, vanity mirror.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, 29 July 2012
Dear Shane R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry to hear you had some issues with your internet connection. We are working on a project to enhance our internet services as we speak. We realize that having a highly functioning internet service is as essential as having hot water in a hotel. On your next visit you should see an improvement in this area.

Kind regards,

Tulsa,OK
Reviewed 26 July 2012

The Heathman Hotel was pretty much wonderful in every way. Perfect location, downtown but quiet. The service was so efficient, I phoned for more hangers and they were delivered in probably 3 minutes. Everyone was so friendy and helpful.The restaurant was excellent, including pleasant sidewalk tables.Would absolutely stay there again.

Dear Yoginiok,

It is great to hear you got to enjoy a meal outside on the sidewalk patio and enjoyed the service. It is such a wonderful time of year in Portland. We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Portland.

Greensboro,North Carolina
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I have stayed at the Heathman quite a few times, most recently in July, 2012. There is simply nothing about the hotel itself or its quality service to complain about. Higher rooms, restaurant, bar - all are among the best you will find. Service is outstanding. Everything inside is first rate, and it is clear staff is proud of working there.
One warning which it pains me to make: The Heathman is very well located in central Portland and therefore suffers in some lower or front rooms from both traffic noise and in particular from early morning trash-truck pickup. This is the blight of big cities everywhere, no less in beautiful Portland.
This last stay my wife and I were given room 405, which is on the front corner of two busy streets and apparently the site of a symphony of trash trucks much of the night plus heavy traffic and siren noise. When I complained the next morning, staff could not have been more responsive in moving us to a higher room despite the hotel being almost full. I had previously stayed in higher rooms at the back of the hotel and had no such problem. So it would be wise to ask for a higher room and to the back of the hotel when making reservations.
I like the Heathman Hotel so much it bothers me to even mention the above problem, and you are not going to escape urban noise blight even in the other centrally located hotels in this or any other big city.
The Heathman is a suburb hotel in the old-style, grand manner and I with only that warning I can highly recommend it. You may find me in the library, enjoying a Martini and enjoying the most civil qualities the Heathman Hotel offers.

Room Tip: Ask for a high room at the back of the hotel as traffic noise, especially on trash--pickup days, can...
Dear Card,

Thank you for providing your comments. I am sorry to hear you had any issues with noise. We do work on a regular basis with the sanitation service to get the pick ups done a little later in the mornings. I will have to revisit this and ensure that it is an acceptable time for our guests. I am happy that you found a room that worked for you and that you had a good stay and enjoyed our fabulous library. We will see you soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed 23 July 2012

I booked this hotel mostly because of its library and Books by your Bedside package. I loved the idea of maybe sleeping in the same bed as Kurt Vonnegut or another famous author! The service at the hotel was great: the staff were friendly and would stop for a chat in the hall or in the lobby. I was staying by myself, so I appreciated this friendliness. The hotel is pricey, so you aren't really getting the good service for free. The room was also smaller than I expected and the bathroom was tiny. I couldn't take a shower with the bathroom door open it was so small. I also didn't have any room around the sink to leave toiletries.

• Stayed July 2012
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this review, 25 July 2012
Dear Cuthbert-the-cat,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay with us. It is so nice to hear that the unique nature of the Heathman is attracting guests that really appreciate our special amenities and services. I hope that you were able to get up to our Library open house and have a glass of wine with our Librarian – if you weren’t able, we would love to welcome you back. We could also assist you with reservations and assure that we reserve a room for you that fits your needs, and budget, perfect. Feel free to contact us directly if your plans do bring you back to Portland. Again, thank you for the lovely review.

Kind regards,
West Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 23 July 2012

This hotel is great - great service, great room, great restaurant, great location!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Dear DMTI1988,

Thank you so much for your kind review! We are so pleased you enjoyed your time in Portland and at The Heathman – we’d look forward to welcoming you back!

Warm regards,

Lincoln City, Oregon
Reviewed 23 July 2012

An early evening drive in horrible Portland traffic; we round the corner to the Heathman! We are greeted by a gentleman who gladly took our bags then proceeded to park our car! Checking in was very convenient with the desk person taking us directly to our room! Plush robes, huge bathrooms, comfortable beds and every detail a FINE hotel should have! Nothing missed here right down to ear plugs and eye shades. Wine hour was crazy busy; ran out of glassware! Dinner in the restaurant was fabulous! Great sweetbreads and pork cheeks! Service was a little slow! A late night cocktail in the bar was super! This was a true treat for us! Loved every minute, felt very spoiled! Thank you Heathman! Superb service in every way!

Room Tip: Symphony suite is a treat!
Dear ShannonMichelle,

Your words are welcomed warmly here at the Heathman – we love to hear reviews like this! Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and experience. We apologize that service was a bit slow in the restaurant and that we ran out of wine glasses during the Library event – it seems the busy season just keeps getting busier – we appreciate your understanding. Let us know next time you swing down to Portland, we’d look forward to helping you book another lovely stay here at the Heathman!