“Top-notch hotel”

The Heathman Hotel
Ranked #26 of 146 Hotels in Portland
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 1 August 2012

This is where we stay when we want a top-notch hotel experience in downtown Portland... can't be beat! Love the quality and atmosphere of this wonderful hotel. The location is great and we also highly recommend its restaurant.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Dear fbglove,
Many thanks for your wonderful review of the Heathman on Trip Advisor. We really appreciate your time and are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Please let us know when you plan to visit next; we would look forward to welcoming you back and making the next stay even better!

Linda Reagan

Write a ReviewReviews (2,233)

Reviewed 31 July 2012

Long story short: I'd found a really low rate, called and got a woman named Sonya in guest services on the line. I sent her the rate in email which she confirmed seeing but alas informing me she did not know about the "price matching" promised on the hotels site. By the time I found the right page where it said it on (the Preferred Hotels page) and sent it over, my low rate had disappeared. I was a dog with a bone and would not let the hotel (Sonya) off the hook for the rate since I believed it not to be my fault that it went missing after taking the time to educate a staff member on its own policies. I know I could've been a lot nicer about it on the phone then I was, but Id been looking for weeks for just this sort of pop-up deal and I was upset that it seemingly had slipped through my fingers. Sonya who could've easily blown me off (as I probably deserved to be) worked so hard on my behalf to get that rate for me. Keep in mind that she is not the manager, the rate was the lowest offer anyone had seen there in years, and they-management, did not see it firsthand. But work she did. She advised me to make the reservation first on the Preferred website as that was part of the rules of being able to get the price matching promise which ended up netting me, now as a Preferred Hotels member, free wifi, a welcome bottle of wine with some DElicious chocolates, and a late check-out. Moreover she took the time to book me in a well-chosen room on a high floor. The first thing I did after dropping my bags upon arrival was find her to hug her and thank her. I had to rearrange my nights a bit as I was checking out and returning. Sonya stressed out more about my great time on vacation then I did whilst trying to make it all perfect for me. This is what makes a 4 Diamond hotel a 4 Diamond hotel. For me anyway. The connection you make, the personal service, the attention to detail... and all done with warmth, professionalism and grace. I am ever grateful to her.

The rest: The beds were SO comfortable. Plenty of towels and two sinks, which is always a treat. The rooms were extremely clean but lacking dressers/drawer space. There were two chairs in both my rooms and I say lose it and put a dresser in as I had to pack socks, underwear, t shirts, sweaters, etc. all in the same little one or two available.. I had a double queen the first half of my stay and an executive king the second. Go with the latter. It was bigger and nicer. I faced the street and it was plenty quiet as well. The hotel is old world charming and lovely but definitely NOT for single people. With the exception of one other woman who was warm and enthusiastic (I was an excited tourist after all), I found the staff to be very friendly but perfunctorily so. Their ambivalence showed through their smiles. The waiter we had in the restaurant was clueless and slow and the bartender that worked on the evening of July 17th was depressing to be around. He seemed like he would've rather been anywhere else than there and as a result, so did we. Maids dont take out anything other than what was in your room to begin with, oddly. We had creamer in little decanters because we were big coffee drinkers and they were empty yet left there every time. If we were supposed to put certain items outside our door like those and extra glasses we might have accumulated from the bar, I just wouldve liked to have been told to instead of having them still there and dirty after the room cleaning. My friend had no trouble with the wifi but I having a very new computer needed the hotels assistance with resetting whatever they reset to get it to work. It was spotty for me at best. The location is fantastic for staying downtown. Parking is ridiculously expensive in that neighborhood so be sure to calculate another 16-18 dollars per day in to your expenses as it adds up. Valet at the hotel is $29. The aforementioned is nit-picky for a 3 star but not if you're a 4 Diamond hotel in my opinion. In the end it didn't really matter much because I had such great service form their employee, Sonya. Promote that girl!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank carissa t
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2012

Dear carissa t,
What a review! Thank you for taking the time necessary to outline your stay – reviews like this are invaluable to us and we are grateful for your detail and enthusiasm! Sonya is a phenomenal employee! Her patience shows in every guest interaction and her caring nature and willingness to go above and beyond, makes her a joy to work with. We must apologize that some of the other employees were not as genteel or responsive, we will make sure to share this review with the staff and take some time for extra training. On that note, we are pleased you experienced the restaurant, but again must apologize for the service. We have passed on your comments to the appropriate managers.
We, at the Heathman are proud of our Hotel and appreciate your point of view and review of your experience. Your words are sincere and straightforward, and we can’t thank you enough for your time. If you plan to travel back, which we would be so happy to hear, please do contact us directly and we will make sure that everything is perfect from start to finish!

Reviewed 31 July 2012

The rooms may be small, but they are beautifully appointed, and the service is simply wonderful from the door to your room and back again. This lovely hotel, right next to Arlene Schnitzer Hall, is full of art and style. Add nice touches such as comfy robes and slippers and quality coffee, and well, they have my vote. The exercise room is small as well, but decently equipped. Ear plugs were presented on the bedside table (we were on the 3rd floor) as well as a sleep mask, but neither of these were required; the bed was heavenly.

1  Thank ProfessorDi

ProfessorDi,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review of the Heathman on Trip Advisor. We always appreciate such reviews and are so glad you had such a wonderful visit. We pride ourselves on the unique selling points about the hotel, and are pleased you brought up the art and style. Being a historic hotel, we have been focused on keeping the rich history alive while also moving with the times. It is nice to hear that our work has not gone unnoticed!
Thank you again, and do let us know next time you plan to come to Portland – we would gladly welcome you back and be happy to help with your reservation!

Warm regards,

Reviewed 30 July 2012

I was lucky to be able to get a room at the Heathman at the last minute at a great price. As soon as you step into the lobby you know that you are in for a treat and will be treated as royalty. My room was so well appointed, clean and comfortable. It had a home feel, rarely found in any hotel. The restaurant associated with the hotel was superb.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Hoach
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Dear Hoach,

Thank you for taking the time to record your positive comments regarding your recent visit to the Heathman Hotel. Your kind words are much appreciated. We are so pleased that you found our hotel so welcoming and warm – we are proud of the comfort and hospitable environment that we provide! We hope to welcome you back to Portland, and to the Heathman, in the near future for you to once again enjoy everything that we have to offer!

Best regards,

Reviewed 29 July 2012

We traveleped to Portland for a long birthday weekend and stayed at the Heathman Hotel. Lovely. Historic. Very nice! The hotel is central to everything we wanted to do: The Jesey Boys at the Theatre, Kayaking, Biking and Ruth's Chris Steak House. Superb staff, and yes the bathroom is small, but I used it to shower and fit quite nicely! :) We stayed in a suite which was accomodating to watching the Olympics in the evenings and storing our gear. I especially liked the "turn down" at night. I feel that mom came in and did it for me!

Dear Audrey B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your lovely comments regarding your recent visit. We are pleased to hear that you chose the Heathman for your Birthday weekend away and glad to know that you took advantage of our proximity to so many great restaurants, nightlife and outdoor activities! Should you decide to return to the Heathman, and to Portland, please contact us directly and we will be able to offer you the room that suits you best for whatever your next Northwest adventure may be! We hope to welcome you back soon!

Reviewed 29 July 2012

We stayed here last year and decided to stay again - and it was still great. I have read a few bad reviews and sometimes things just don't work out the way you want when traveling. And sure the Heathman has a few warts (like some rooms only have a view of some kind of wild looking dragon mural painted on the building next door), but on balance I think the Heathman is GREAT!

Comfortable, well appointed rooms. Prompt and pleasant staff. Great location. Great restaurant. And I think a good value.

I don't give out many 5 stars, but the Heathman deserves this one.

Cheue`

Room Tip: Nonstreet side doesn't have much of a view, but they are nice and quiet.
1  Thank cheue444

Dear Cheue,

Many thanks for your great review. It is wonderful to read feedback from our guests; we really appreciate your support and kind words. The Heathman prides itself on being unique boutique and your comments represented that wonderfully! We hope that you continue to make the Heathman a favorite destination while in Portland. We look very forward to welcoming you back and would be pleased to help you with your reservations and/or planning your trip. Feel free to contact us directly the next time you are coming to Portland!

Best regards,

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Great location. Perfect for a night at the concert hall, or a business trip. Very clean hotel.

Bed was adequate. Plenty of pillows, clean sheets. Pet friendly, although this was a business trip, so I didn't bring a pet.

Service was excellent. Restaurant and lounge areas were accessible and cozy.

Internet was slow. Acceptable for checking email, not fast enough for web surfing, definitely not for streaming.

Bathroom was small, but had plenty of luxury amenities such as quality soaps, lotion, vanity mirror.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
HeathmanMGR, Guest Relations Manager at The Heathman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 29 July 2012

Dear Shane R,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay. I am sorry to hear you had some issues with your internet connection. We are working on a project to enhance our internet services as we speak. We realize that having a highly functioning internet service is as essential as having hot water in a hotel. On your next visit you should see an improvement in this area.